MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   I don’t like the key fob. (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/733754-i-donit-like-key-fob.html)

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 09:04 PM

Maybe that's our problem. We do eat a lot of vegetables!

stephos 01-24-2019 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper (Post 7662272)
But why?, Id take a tiny scratch over that hazmat suit any day of the week :)

ABout the same as hood bras, or seat covers, dont wanna mess up that car, it has to look real nice when I sell it? ;)

I agree with Vic on this one.

"hazmat suit" LOL!!!!

rbrylaw 01-24-2019 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7662738)
I agree with Vic on this one.

"hazmat suit" LOL!!!!

"To each his own the old man said as he kissed the cow!!"

CaptainE 01-24-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by lensjack (Post 7662404)
Say you've been outdoors for a few hours on a sunny day, and your car sits at the far end of a parking lot, now very warm inside. If you wanted to open the windows and moon roof, and activate seat ventilation as you approach the car, is there an easy way to do that other than using the fob?

Wait, we can activate seat ventilation with the fob? Which button does this?
(My car is approaching the NY port, then on to the west coast in another month.)

I think the fob is slippery but will stay in my pocket most of the time. Covering it up is ok to keep scratches from happening, but you also won’t ever see the scratchless fob because it is....

Covered

rbrylaw 01-24-2019 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainE (Post 7662930)

(My car is approaching the NY port, then on to the west coast in another month.)

I think the fob is slippery but will stay in my pocket most of the time. Covering it up is ok to keep scratches from happening, but you also won’t ever see the scratchless fob because it is....

Covered

I'll just have to live knowing my fob is 100% without a scratch on it, even if I can't see it's without scratches!

nycebo 01-24-2019 12:04 PM

CaptainE raises a good point. My hands are generally very dry in the winter in the northeast and the key is very slippery. Many is the time that it slid out of my hands and skid across the floor. For my part, the cover is more about a grippy cover than covering the fob. But the OCD in me likes the scratch protection nevertheless (despite 1 or 2 scratches on the corner already existing).

ua549 01-24-2019 12:17 PM

Say you've been outdoors for a few hours on a sunny day, and your car sits at the far end of a parking lot, now very warm inside. If you wanted to open the windows and moon roof, and activate seat ventilation as you approach the car, is there an easy way to do that other than using the fob?

I use Mercedes me to remote start the car so it is cool and comfy when I get there.

lensjack 01-24-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainE (Post 7662930)

Page 79 of the operator's manual says that if you press and hold the SmartKey unlock button, it will unlock the car, open the side windows and sunroof, and switch on ventilation of the driver's seat.

lensjack 01-24-2019 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7662949)
I use Mercedes me to remote start the car so it is cool and comfy when I get there.

That's a great option for sure. I'm thinking mainly about times when I'm walking back to car with a camera in hand, and just need a little fresh air to flow through and suck out the heat. Easier then to reach into a pocket and press the SmartKey than to take out my iPhone. Talk about first-world problems, eh? :-D

rustybear3 01-24-2019 01:28 PM

Yeah, using a brick...but it's a one time option and pretty permanent. :rcain:

lensjack 01-24-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7663030)

Ha! Added benefit: Exe:lockd:rcise!

rbrylaw 01-24-2019 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7663030)

Too funny!

lensjack 01-24-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by lensjack (Post 7662987)
Page 79 of the operator's manual says that if you press and hold the SmartKey unlock button, it will unlock the car, open the side windows and sunroof, and switch on ventilation of the driver's seat.

UPDATE: I tried this a couple times today in different locations, and could not make it work. No windows opened. Sunroof did not open. When it comes to learning about this car, I'm still drinking from a firehose. Some key factoid may have blown right past me. I'll research this further as time permits.

Alternative might be to rip that page out of the manual and burn it. :nix:

allfortheunion 01-24-2019 07:05 PM

Lensjack - Stand close to the driver's door and point the keyfob directly at the driver's door handle while pressing and holding the unlock button.

Tom T 01-24-2019 08:25 PM

Best mercedes keyfob design ever. it's about time they change the design. I just carry the fob only. The slick (soap) design easily slip right in my pocket and never have to use it until i get home and pull it out. I have no ring on the key, I just stick it to my magnet on my home key holder.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...208b4f7f69.jpg

rustybear3 01-24-2019 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by lensjack (Post 7663298)
UPDATE: I tried this a couple times today in different locations, and could not make it work. No windows opened. Sunroof did not open. When it comes to learning about this car, I'm still drinking from a firehose. Some key factoid may have blown right past me. I'll research this further as time permits.

Alternative might be to rip that page out of the manual and burn it. :nix:

Originally Posted by allfortheunion (Post 7663334)
Lensjack - Stand close to the driver's door and point the keyfob directly at the driver's door handle while pressing and holding the unlock button.

The problem is you got to really press hard and hold it as you are doing the operation. Especially in convertible operation. This really needs to be improved on in the FOB.

YasS 01-25-2019 10:20 AM

I love old MB keys that actually resembled a key. They were unique if you asked me.

jl199986 01-26-2019 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7662932)
I'll just have to live knowing my fob is 100% without a scratch on it, even if I can't see it's without scratches!

My experience with a lot of device covers, for phones and such, especially soft plastic devices- ones that get used and pocketed often- are that lint, grit and such get under the cover. And then the cover just helps keep it in there- slowly grinding into the smooth shiny plastic, creating little tiny scratches with every step you take, every time you touch or move the key. Every. Day. All. Day. Sand, grit, scratching, marring, dulling.

But, with a cover! now worries- outta sight outta mind right?

rbrylaw 01-26-2019 09:59 AM

Perhps jL100086, but these fob covers are very very very snug. It would be very difficult for anything to get under the cover. If dust can scratch the fob, they are too easily scratched to begin with. Another advantage as far as I'm concerned is the fob is now grippy with a silicone cover, whereas without one, they are really slippery little buggers.

ua549 01-26-2019 10:40 AM

My fob sits alone in my left front pocket. It is readily available if it is ever needed. In over a year I have needed it only once when I had the A service.

lensjack 01-26-2019 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by allfortheunion (Post 7663334)

Here's how it worked for me: The first long press (aimed at driver's side door handle) unlocked the doors. The second long press (similarly aimed) opened the windows and sunroof, and turned on seat ventilation. All while standing close enough to the car to touch the door handle. Haven't yet tried it from a distance. But this at least beats a kick in the fruit stand. Thanks again.

Cao Black 01-26-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jl199986 (Post 7664530)
My experience with a lot of device covers, for phones and such, especially soft plastic devices- ones that get used and pocketed often- are that lint, grit and such get under the cover. And then the cover just helps keep it in there- slowly grinding into the smooth shiny plastic, creating little tiny scratches with every step you take, every time you touch or move the key. Every. Day. All. Day. Sand, grit, scratching, marring, dulling.

But, with a cover! now worries- outta sight outta mind right?

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7664598)
Perhps jL100086, but these fob covers are very very very snug. It would be very difficult for anything to get under the cover. If dust can scratch the fob, they are too easily scratched to begin with. Another advantage as far as I'm concerned is the fob is now grippy with a silicone cover, whereas without one, they are really slippery little buggers.

Just checked the OCD Manual. Page 147, Section 18b, subsection iii calls for periodic and timely removal of such covers for inspection and removal of lint, grit or other potentially harmful materials. So you see, there is no problem...:y

Quackledork 01-26-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7661910)
That's what they make these for. Protects the Keyfob from other keys, doesn't hinder any buttons and can be color coordinated with one's car. Most MB dealerships sell them for less than $10 or just go to Amazon and order one to be delivered to your mailbox

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b383fd76d2.jpg

Seriously, Silverlight?

jl199986 01-26-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7664738)
Just checked the OCD Manual. Page 147, Section 18b, subsection iii calls for periodic and timely removal of such covers for inspection and removal of lint, grit or other potentially harmful materials. So you see, there is no problem...:y

I carry mine covered key in a padded box, with a plastic bag around it. Proximity sensor still works just fine that way.

Did hand wash my car today. The soap seems to depress the freezing point a bit, as it's right at 32 outside. Reparking in the sun took care of it to finish the wash. Drying & warming up in front of the fire now. It's going to snow again mid week. But at least a few days of sparkle.

& I just purchased one of the covers, as my original complaint- the fob is too slippery for me. No Longer!

rbrylaw 01-26-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cao Black (Post 7664738)

Done - Check!

Thank you validating my OCD card is up to date with the rules contained in the manual!!!