MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   I don’t like the key fob. (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/733754-i-donit-like-key-fob.html)

jl199986 01-23-2019 07:33 AM

I don’t like the key fob.

There, I said it.

Too bar of soap shaped. Buttons aren’t positive (I’m an HP calculator collector & appreciate quality button feel). Key “ring” is square and not really wide enough for my main keyring. Seems like it’s gonna scratch up, have to wait on that.

I liked my VW ring other than the switchblade backup key. Came open too much, but was fun to fiddle with. Toyota fobs have a nice mini ring with 360° spin so it always can get along with whatever else is on your ring.

I know many can go without other keys now. I just have a house key, a mini tag for parking, RSA fob for work login. Then the Toyota key goes on and off each weekend with a mini carabiner.

vic viper 01-23-2019 07:47 AM

I like it, but I never use it in a keychain, the other keys will mess up the fob over time.

Fun fact, you can press the button for the internal key and push it inwards to make the key smaller and smoother in the pocket if you arnt using a key chain.

jl199986 01-23-2019 07:50 AM

Great fact! Dunno if I’ll use it, but good info. Just tried it, there’s a half push to release, then a deeper push ( I needed a smaller than finger item to push in enough). Works great.

Now it just needs to make those other keyring items disappear.

Ok...liking the fob just a little a bit more now...

ua549 01-23-2019 08:03 AM

I agree with Vic. The "key ring" can be lowered into the shell so there is no protrusion that can snag the fob. I wish that MB had enabled the nfc key capability in the US. If they did I wouldn't have to carry any keys.

nycebo 01-23-2019 08:25 AM

I miss old keys. I hate these "car shaped" key fobs. And yes, I'm sorry for two neg posts, still haven't had my cup o joe yet. :-)

stephos 01-23-2019 09:28 AM

All things considered, I like it. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!

Most of the time it lives in my pocket and I don't mind it being there one bit. Unlike some other car keys I've had...

nycebo 01-23-2019 09:47 AM

Do you guys remember these? Brings back so many memories.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...453745086b.jpg

ua549 01-23-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by nycebo (Post 7661751)
Do you guys remember these? Brings back so many memories.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...453745086b.jpg

I remember my first MB key was a flat plain steel key. IIRC it was a Huf key.

Egonvdv 01-23-2019 11:55 AM

the emergency key is on my keychain (thus keychain & fob are separate)
this way, if needed, I can click the two together as "one"
and less chance of losing both emergency key and fob

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 12:28 PM

That's what they make these for. Protects the Keyfob from other keys, doesn't hinder any buttons and can be color coordinated with one's car. Most MB dealerships sell them for less than $10 or just go to Amazon and order one to be delivered to your mailbox

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b383fd76d2.jpg

nycebo 01-23-2019 02:35 PM

@rbrylaw two things: first, how did I know that you would have a solution. I'll check Amazon now. second, don't tell us that you disconnect the Tumi lanyard from your belt strap. You wild man!

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by nycebo (Post 7662020)
@rbrylaw two things: first, how did I NOT know that you would have a solution. I'll check Amazon now. second, don't tell us that you disconnect the Tumi lanyard from your belt strap. You wild man!

Just call me a "Wild and Curaaazy Guy!!!!" The reality is when I'm at work, The fabulous Tumi, with the ever so cool and convenient pull out stainless cord keybelt chain, sits quietly in my desk drawer.

Ps: I fixed I fixed your post above (Bold and in Red) for 'ya!

nycebo 01-23-2019 04:17 PM

Bingo!

BTW, key cover ordered. Got flexible silver and 20% off from the imperial empire (amzn). Can't believe I didn't already have one.

c4004matic 01-23-2019 04:42 PM

I never touched it. Its in a pocket of my manbag since I bought the car and I have never seen it again.

West_Coaster 01-23-2019 04:42 PM

Key fob condoms.....for when you really must buy something and can't find anything sensible. :stick:

:D

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by West_Coaster (Post 7662183)
Key fob condoms.....for when you really must buy something and can't find anything sensible. :stick:

:D

Hey..........for the hopelessly OCD, Key Fob Condoms are a must. Scratching one's fob is grounds for having to turn in one's OCD card and I won't have it. No, I won't!:smash::wall::crazy:

ua549 01-23-2019 05:52 PM

Why would anyone need access to their key fob? Mine is in my pocket and I've never had to physically use it.

vic viper 01-23-2019 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7662200)
Hey..........for the hopelessly OCD, Key Fob Condoms are a must. Scratching one's fob is grounds for having to turn in one's OCD card and I won't have it. No, I won't!:smash::wall::crazy:

But why?, Id take a tiny scratch over that hazmat suit any day of the week :)

ABout the same as hood bras, or seat covers, dont wanna mess up that car, it has to look real nice when I sell it? ;)

West_Coaster 01-23-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7662200)

With your OCD, doesn't it bother you that the cover isn't the EXACT same color MB meant it to be? Plus, those covers are not MB products, so now you're venturing into cheapening your car! And if you say "no problem because it's in my pocket or in my desk", you're pant's pocket and desk drawer are mocking you!!! AHHHHHHHH, the horror!!!

denjermen 01-23-2019 06:43 PM

I like the Merc key! It’s not obnoxiously large or heavy. Don’t know why other manufacturers keep making their keys bigger???

rustybear3 01-23-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7662264)
Why would anyone need access to their key fob? Mine is in my pocket and I've never had to physically use it.

Agree on this. The only time I would have to take it out of my pocket is if I want to lower my convertible top before I get in; even then, rarely.

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by West_Coaster (Post 7662293)
With your OCD, doesn't it bother you that the cover isn't the EXACT same color MB meant it to be? Plus, those covers are not MB products, so now you're venturing into cheapening your car! And if you say "no problem because it's in my pocket or in my desk", you're pant's pocket and desk drawer are mocking you!!! AHHHHHHHH, the horror!!!

HA HA! I agree. I personally like the design of the key FOB. Putting a color cover on it is akin to putting plastic covers on car seats back in the 60's! Why cover up that nice design. :slap:

lensjack 01-23-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7662264)

Say you've been outdoors for a few hours on a sunny day, and your car sits at the far end of a parking lot, now very warm inside. If you wanted to open the windows and moon roof, and activate seat ventilation as you approach the car, is there an easy way to do that other than using the fob?

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by West_Coaster (Post 7662293)

But But But, I bought mine at my Mercedes Dealer parts department, so technically, it's a Mercedes accessory. And I have a Blue Car, so I have a Blue Key Fob Cover. For our Silver E400, the Key fob is covered in the same type fob cover, but in Silver, not blue. And it makes it ever so easy to know which key goes with which car, since they are color coordinated. It's never in my pocket. It's either handing in it's resting place at home, attached to my Tumi Belt Clip Ring, or in my drawer in the office. I don't rightly care if my desk drawer is mocking me. It's a work desk. It can mock all it wants. What pleases me, is my fob will never get scratches. Nope, never!

rbrylaw 01-23-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by lensjack (Post 7662404)
Say you've been outdoors for a few hours on a sunny day, and your car sits at the far end of a parking lot, now very warm inside. If you wanted to open the windows and moon roof, and activate seat ventilation as you approach the car, is there an easy way to do that other than using the fob?

And let's say you want to open the trunk before you get to your car to put groceries or bags in? Key fob to the rescue. Personally, I look goofy standing behind my rear bumper trying to find that perfect spot to kick to open the trunk. Goofy, I'm telling you.

lensjack 01-23-2019 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7662430)
And let's say you want to open the trunk before you get to your car to put groceries or bags in? Key fob to the rescue. Personally, I look goofy standing behind my rear bumper trying to find that perfect spot to kick to open the trunk. Goofy, I'm telling you.

Ha! Funny. But you've really had trouble finding the sweet spot to kick? I've only tried kick-to-open a few times so far, but it has worked flawlessly in every instance. I love it. Just guessing here, but your problem may be that you ask it to open while carrying groceries. These elegant vehicles much prefer wine, and are known to react with hostility to vegetables.