MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Radar sensors causing brakes to lock (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/734284-radar-sensors-causing-brakes-lock.html)

David Alcorn 01-28-2019 04:03 PM

Radar sensors causing brakes to lock

Hi there. I got a E220 estate September 2017 (W213) which has been basically fine. On occasions it locked up when I was driving and I took it back. The first time they replaced a sensor but it did it again so I took it back in. They say that the sensors were set to go off from too far away and there is no fault with the car. They also say that if it happens again I would have to demonstrate it to a technician. So I have a car which has locked up when I am passing an articulated lorry at 60mph and it is my fault! Surely this is dangerous to have too sensitive sensors in the car or am I missing something?

2012 merc amg 01-28-2019 09:56 PM

There is a setting for Sensitivity of this under the Assistance settings. I just leave mine in the middle under medium and have had no issues.

David Alcorn 01-29-2019 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7666821)
There is a setting for Sensitivity of this under the Assistance settings. I just leave mine in the middle under medium and have had no issues.

Thanks for replying. The owner’s manual says that the brakes should only lock at the same time as the audible warning under “exceptional driving circumstances” but this has happened 5 times in normal conditions. My wife won’t drive it.

nycebo 01-29-2019 10:25 AM

I had this issue as well. I changed it to "early" and have not had the issue since.

David Alcorn 01-29-2019 12:03 PM

That’s interesting. I have found that when the car has been passing another car, lorry or object on the left side of the car, this is when the car has locked up. It seems to me that taking the settings away fro “early” is just hiding a fault in that the sensor is too sensitive and is dangerous.

stephos 01-30-2019 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by David Alcorn (Post 7667257)
That’s interesting. I have found that when the car has been passing another car, lorry or object on the left side of the car, this is when the car has locked up. It seems to me that taking the settings away fro “early” is just hiding a fault in that the sensor is too sensitive and is dangerous.

Agreed. I'm inclined to think there's a dodgy sensor in play here.

mobster600 02-01-2019 01:55 PM

It might be that in your country, the passing and driving style triggers the sensors to believe your going to crash but in reality your not. In America, we have big roads, besides actually going to crash, the sensors won’t throw a false brake.

David Alcorn 02-02-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by stephos (Post 7667942)
Agreed. I'm inclined to think there's a dodgy sensor in play here.

Funny you should say that as the one on the passenger side was replaced when it was in in August. Every time the braking has been activated it has been when something was in my left hand side. Never on the right.

David Alcorn 02-02-2019 12:49 PM

I’m not sure what driving style won’t trigger, but. I don’t have much confidence in a garage that just checks if there’s a fault (they say there isn’t) then changes the settings of brake assist to the late or close setting and tells me it’s fine. Surely if it is fine, they could leave the car on any setting?
I'm going in on Monday morning to have a drive with a diagnostic technician (I presume that’s a mechanic) so I will maybe find out more then.

stephos 02-04-2019 07:24 AM

Stick to your guns on this one David. The dealer needs to isolate the problem and fix it.

If they can't or wont, then try another dealer.

The problem you describe is quite dangerous for you and others potentially. Totally not acceptable.