MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Remote Parking using Me App (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/734537-remote-parking-using-me-app.html)

LKO2YYZ 01-31-2019 12:38 AM

Remote Parking using Me App

HHey everyone,

I am getting my all new E450 tomorrow and am very excited as it's going to be my 1st Merc. I've been driving BMWs for the last 7 years to it's a big deal for me to change the brand. Anyhow, I was checking out the Me app Youtube videos and saw there's a feature where one can use the phone (Me app) to move the car in a straight-line back and forth - just like in the BMWs. But when I checked in the app, this feature wasn't there at all - I am in Canada and was wondering if this feature will be added soon? Is the car equipped for it? My dealer has no idea about it. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
LKO2YYZ

Egonvdv 01-31-2019 02:53 AM

you need to download a seperate parking app for it
(but remeber it is a paid feature.)
then again, i can not comment if the feature is available in canada,

JDPEClassUK 01-31-2019 03:37 AM

In the UK the remote parking service comes free for 3 years then it’s a paid for service. The ‘Parking’ app is available for download from App Store.

I use it quite frequently due to tight parking on my drive.

I have heard from others though that this may not be available in North America?

stephos 01-31-2019 08:56 AM

Congrats on the E450.

I have the E450 coupe (also my first Mercedes after many years of BMWs) and sadly the remote parking function is not featured on my car. I asked to have it added to the factory order but was told it was not available.

Nevertheless, others with the same car and model do have it in other countries, so this does vary wildly. I hope yours has it.

rbrylaw 01-31-2019 10:07 PM

This feature is NOT available in the US for us.

KingScrubs 02-01-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw (Post 7669679)
This feature is NOT available in the US for us.

Can confirm not in Canada either

rustybear3 02-02-2019 01:10 PM

First it's the non-complete use of the intelligent light system, and now the remote parking. We're getting hosed in the US and Canada!

rbrylaw 02-02-2019 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7670976)
First it's the non-complete use of the intelligent light system, and now the remote parking. We're getting hosed in the US and Canada!

Blame our respective governments, not Mercedes. In the US, the NHTSA has not kept up with the world and only recently recommended approving these intelligent LED lights. They're still not fully approved and it's highly doubtful when they are, Mercedes will flip whatever switch required retroactively for cars already more than capable of running them. So a HUGE harumph to governmenal regulations.

2012 merc amg 02-02-2019 09:58 PM

I don't think it's regulatory with at least the US. Bmw has a similar setup with remote parking pilot as does Tesla. I think it's Mercedes worried about potential litigation in the US if the system should injury anyone.

ua549 02-03-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7671317)
I don't think it's regulatory with at least the US. Bmw has a similar setup with remote parking pilot as does Tesla. I think it's Mercedes worried about potential litigation in the US if the system should injury anyone.

BMW uses a direct link from the key to the car. MB uses an unreliable link from a cell phone to a wireless carrier then to Verizon or AT&T (model year dependent) and then to the car. With MB there is no direct control of the car.

2012 merc amg 02-03-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7671524)
BMW uses a direct link from the key to the car. MB uses an unreliable link from a cell phone to a wireless carrier then to Verizon or AT&T (model year dependent) and then to the car. With MB there is no direct control of the car.

True. That’s what I heard originally that it was something to do with the cell phone system. Not sure what makes Europe’s cell phone system more stable.

rustybear3 02-03-2019 10:04 AM

Supposedly, they've (MB) switched to ATT to get a better service, and they thought was that eventually they'll return that functionality (parking) back to the app.

ua549 02-03-2019 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7671583)

True. That’s what I heard originally that it was something to do with the cell phone system. Not sure what makes Europe’s cell phone system more stable.

It may not be stability/reliability, but US regulations. There is a huge risk using the cellular system to control a car. As a retired networking pro, I know that the cellular system is not secure.

Egonvdv 02-03-2019 11:51 AM

remote parking has NOTHING to do with the cellphone. it's a direct connection via WIFI.
that's why it also works in underground parking with no reception

JDPEClassUK 02-03-2019 11:52 AM

I thought it used a direct link to control after initial connection through Mercedes Me? You need to unlock the car using the Key fob before any connection is made. The app requires constant input on the phone otherwise the car stops and locks again.

78degrees 02-03-2019 12:24 PM

Well, the remote parking doesn't work very well anyway..
I'm using Android 8,0 and got the answer that it doesn't work on Android 8... After months of compains from me this was the answer.. They didn't even care to explain why.
The option is available here from what MB says, but I'm not getting a separate phone for remote parking...

ua549 02-03-2019 02:30 PM

Evidently the parking app uses Bluetooth and cellular to work. Here is an image capture from the app on my Galaxy S9. It looks like it authenticates over cellular then passes actual vehicle control to Bluetooth. The tutorial in the app shows the car finding a parking place, the driver exiting the car, then using the cellphone to keep the app active (circling finger motion) while the car parks as it would with the driver still inside, e.g., turning, gear selection, throttle, brake.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...6f813586ee.png

Egonvdv 02-03-2019 04:43 PM

again this is not true.
yes you need THE CAR to be connected, but that's for the initial activation
once activated you do not need your mobile to be connected to a network at all.
in my underground parking it works and I have ZERO network coverage there

(although it does indeed connect via bluetooth and not wifi as I said earlier)

ua549 02-03-2019 05:46 PM

That's what I said. Use cellular to authenticate then use Bluetooth to control. Authentication is a one time process.

rustybear3 02-03-2019 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7671953)
That's what I said. Use cellular to authenticate then use Bluetooth to control. Authentication is a one time process.

Are you living outside the country now and not Florida?

ua549 02-03-2019 06:34 PM

No, I still live in Clearwater, FL. I downloaded the app, called Parking from an EU Play Store when I bought my car in 2017. That said, one must authenticate to an eligible vehicle that is linked to your Mercedes me account to use the feature.

rustybear3 02-03-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7671985)
No, I still live in Clearwater, FL. I downloaded the app, called Parking from an EU Play Store when I bought my car in 2017. That said, one must authenticate to an eligible vehicle that is linked to your Mercedes me account to use the feature.

So, you can't use the app on your car because authenticating would show it as a US vehicle?

ua549 02-04-2019 08:59 AM

One has to begin the process from the vehicle via "Add new device" then authenticate from the phone. That process stops with an invalid phone message. I believe it is because of a US sim. After that it would probably stop on an invalid vehicle message.

Egonvdv 02-04-2019 09:18 AM

activation needs to be done via the mercedes me website.
here you buy the service and it then get's registered to the car.
As you don't have the service in the US, you can never get it to work.

ua549 02-04-2019 09:32 AM

I got the app hoping that I could use when traveling in the EU. Epic fail. :(