Comfort Box Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Can honestly say I've never heard of him, but did listen to the recording. I wouldn't hire him. No, I wouldn't!
That's the best part, you don't have to hire him, he's just going to show up tomorrow with his tools and start working.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Not in my shop he's not!!! Well if'n I owned a shop!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Getting back on track,as I stated earlier, if you just call your dealer and give you you VIN number, he should be able to get you the brackets that you need.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Does anyone have any actual insight on what kind of brackets are needed for the W213 Comfort Box and maybe the part number(s) please?
The Electronic Parts Catalogue does not mention separate numbers for the brackets, just one partnumber for the comfort box.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Rizzo (02-12-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To the OP - we are talking sedans and coupes here - not cabriolet - the very 1st thing - with a flashlight look up in the back of the trunk at the upper rear seat metal cross member and see if there are two holes (left and right) that match the "pegs" on the comfort box - the pegs slip into the holes to hold the "rear" of the comfort box closest to the rear seat.

The "plastic bracket" you refer to holds the "front" of the comfort box closest to you - and also has the left/right locking tabs to hold the comfort box up in place.

At startup of the W213 - it was necessary to order the Comfort Box as factory install - since "standard" was no metal holes in that metal cross member - I have not checked recent production/2019's to see if the two holes are there for all W213.

Personally - I have NOT seen the Comfort Box offered as a dealer installed accessory - so whether you have or haven't those cross member holes is 1st question - also I
have not the "front" plastic bracket available as a separate part - but it "should" be orderable - if for no other reason than Collision Repair.

Hope this helps .. keep the beat !
Frank Rizzo (02-12-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 E350W4
If you can get it (have the 2 holes in the seat backs) do so if you do the grocery shopping occasionally.

I find I use it a quite a lot.

I put grocery bags in it to prevent tipovers. It works really well.
Frank Rizzo (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Our E400 came off the lot with the comfort box. No offense to anyone who likes it, but I certainly do not. It takes up space in the trunk, even when not extended down. I didn't order it with my E450 but it came with a simple pull down hanger, that I can hang bags on, which I find infinitely more useful. Again, just my opinion, but it's not an option I would ever order myself.
Well and no offense, but your emoji and posturing on why some of us have high post counts, really didn't go over well as far as I'm concerned. This is a great group of very helpful and honestly fun people to share our W213 experiences with. If someone knows an answer, they willingly share.
The thing is that your posts in this thread lack any merit.

Here's a tip: if you have to say "no offense" either in a conversation or in an online post - you probably should not say it to begin with. You're admitting that you know that you will offend or insult someone with what you have to say - yet you do it anyways because getting your opinion across is more important than offending someone else.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 AM

2018 E43
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
To the OP - we are talking sedans and coupes here - not cabriolet - the very 1st thing - with a flashlight look up in the back of the trunk at the upper rear seat metal cross member and see if there are two holes (left and right) that match the "pegs" on the comfort box - the pegs slip into the holes to hold the "rear" of the comfort box closest to the rear seat.

The "plastic bracket" you refer to holds the "front" of the comfort box closest to you - and also has the left/right locking tabs to hold the comfort box up in place.

At startup of the W213 - it was necessary to order the Comfort Box as factory install - since "standard" was no metal holes in that metal cross member - I have not checked recent production/2019's to see if the two holes are there for all W213.

Personally - I have NOT seen the Comfort Box offered as a dealer installed accessory - so whether you have or haven't those cross member holes is 1st question - also I
have not the "front" plastic bracket available as a separate part - but it "should" be orderable - if for no other reason than Collision Repair.

Hope this helps .. keep the beat !
Thanks for this It was shown as a PIO (port installed option) in the order guide.
I just bought a complete one from a W213 on Ebay from someone local and he is going to drop it off on Saturday. $185.00, seemed like it was worth a chance.

I'll post the results here.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:54 AM

2018 E43
Originally Posted by Haag
The Electronic Parts Catalogue does not mention separate numbers for the brackets, just one partnumber for the comfort box.

Good info!
The part number matches the one I just bought.
Fingers crossed!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E200 sedan
https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car

Is it regarding this box? Atleast in Sweden it seems it can be bought as a dealer option, quite pricey for a plastic box though...
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The thing is that your posts in this thread lack any merit.

Here's a tip: if you have to say "no offense" either in a conversation or in an online post - you probably should not say it to begin with. You're admitting that you know that you will offend or insult someone with what you have to say - yet you do it anyways because getting your opinion across is more important than offending someone else.

LOL......You're the one who showed anger for not getting answers and offered a jab on why some may have high post counts. I meant no offense in either post, which is why I said, "no offense." If someone enjoys their comfort box, that's great! As far as I'm concerned it's not an option I would purposely buy after having one in one of our cars, but never use. And that point does have merit, whether you think it does or not.

Here's a tip: Don't sling it if you can't take it. Don't get angry because you didn't get the immediate response you sought and don't put people down for being active on this typically very friendly forum.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 02-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 E350W4
Mine is easy to remove if you want to. I remove it when I need to really pack the trunk with a lot of luggage. I have an E350 (W212). There are 2 twisting handles; one on either side, which when turned, allow the entire comfort box to be pulled out. If it eludes you, ask a service person to show you how.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 AM

2018 E43
LOL......You're the one who showed anger for not getting answers and offered a jab on why some may have high post counts. I meant no offense in either post, which is why I said, "no offense." If someone enjoys their comfort box, that's great! As far as I'm concerned it's not an option I would purposely buy after having one in one of our cars, but never use. And that point does have merit, whether you think it does or not.

Here's a tip: Don't sling it if you can't take it. Don't get angry because you didn't get the immediate response you sought and don't put people down for being active on this typically very friendly forum.
Post questions for specific information are not necessarily your platform to place your opinion, so it completely lacks merit or value in this thread. As a matter of fact its a bit egotistical. Dont get hurt feelings! Im just trying to help here!! I'd do the same thing if you had spinach in your teeth - i'd let you know so you dont appear foolish!
Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you so much for your kind consideration!

Last edited by rbrylaw; 02-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 AM

2018 E43
OK peeps.
I bought a comfort box on Ebay, brand new - ($185.)

Here are the rear tabs:

Here is a shot of the underside deck:

There is no place to land the rear pegs and it looks like it needs some sort of bracket. Can someone take a look (or even better a picture or two) of how the rear pegs mount.

I'll keep this thread alive for reference if someone ever wants to retrofit a Comfort Box

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350

Definitely a bracket back there. Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 230 Likes on 187 Posts
MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
I feel like the one option I wish I had was the Comfort Box. Somebody posted a video and it looks pretty cool .... but I bought the car as-is and did not want to pollute the deal by trying to add it in. Now I'm looking into adding it - seemed like it would be easy since it is a PIO.

I've founds lots of the boxes on Ebay (some are brand new, never been installed) - but they all universally do not include the "brackets". When I question sellers about how/where/what kind of brackets, they either do not answer or say something generic like "just get them from your dealer"

Does anyone have any actual insight on what kind of brackets are needed for the W213 Comfort Box and maybe the part number(s) please? Most Benz dealerships parts departments are not too helpful looking for esoteric parts - (but super helpful when you want to buy a set of 4 wheels at full-pop retail) - so I'd rather walk in with part numbers and just say "please order these for me"...

Thank in advance!
The comfort box is super cool and nice to have.

I do have a set of the comfort box for sale. It’s Mercedes OEM and brand new AND you do need the mounting bracket which comes with the comfort box I have for sale. Without the mounting bracket and bolts, you will not be able to mount the comfort box.

Will post it in in a separate thread when I get home.

Its $300 shipped within the US and with mounting brackets.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
I feel like the one option I wish I had was the Comfort Box. Somebody posted a video and it looks pretty cool .... but I bought the car as-is and did not want to pollute the deal by trying to add it in. Now I'm looking into adding it - seemed like it would be easy since it is a PIO.

I've founds lots of the boxes on Ebay (some are brand new, never been installed) - but they all universally do not include the "brackets". When I question sellers about how/where/what kind of brackets, they either do not answer or say something generic like "just get them from your dealer"

Does anyone have any actual insight on what kind of brackets are needed for the W213 Comfort Box and maybe the part number(s) please? Most Benz dealerships parts departments are not too helpful looking for esoteric parts - (but super helpful when you want to buy a set of 4 wheels at full-pop retail) - so I'd rather walk in with part numbers and just say "please order these for me"...

Thank in advance!
One came on my 2017 E and I have used it once. I removed it to do an airport run a couple weeks ago and have not replaced it. One opinion I could have done without for certain.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
2024 AMG GLE 53
Originally Posted by suby01
Is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Merce.../dp/B01JJ9V74K

I have a pretty much new one for sale. It was a dealer installed option for me in October when I purchased my new E300. It was used maybe 2 times and that was to show off to friends that I have one in the trunk the first day I took delivery of the car. A week later of being in my trunk unused I removed it.

I am selling mine for $250 shipped with Fedex 1 Day shipping. I can of course send you detailed pictures of it and all. If you're at all interested PM me.
BUMP BUMP

$250 SHIPPED with FEDEX Overnight shipping with tracking #. Best deal out on the Internets.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:59 PM

2018 E43
Originally Posted by Cao Black

Definitely a bracket back there. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this!

Now to discover the correct part number!

Old 02-23-2019, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 S63AMG - MBUSA Buyback. MY16 SL63 - Sold MY19 W213 E63s. 2020 W213 E63s Wagon
Here is the bracket part number, remember you will need 2 bolts on each bracket to secure the bracket:

Most sellers sell the comfort box without the bracket because I guess they thought the bracket comes with the car just like holes the bracket bolts that comes pre-drilled with the W213 E class which is not so.

The dealer will not sell the bracket separately, it’s comes as a set with the comfort box as you can see I have for sale on the MBworld market place.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Frank Rizzo (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:10 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 E300 4matic Sport
Any luck in getting the brackets from the dealer?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:35 PM

2018 E43
OK, here is the definitive answer to retrofitting the comfort box!!

Loooky what I got:

I went to my local dealer and got a GREAT parts guy. Major props to Calabasas Benz Parts Dept.

He cracked open a factory Comfort Box and sure enough (as S63 says above) the brackets come with the box and NOT sold separately.

Benz is not dumb...far from it...
Not only do you need to use M5x.08 nutserts, you need the triplesquare "tamperproof" matching bolts to mount the rear brackets...

My new best friend at the parts counter helped me out (I cant really disclose how), but as S63 says above, we searched the part numbers on the brackets - no luck. Unavailable.

So now we know why everyone p0sts the box with "brackets available at your dealer" - - - BS!!! The part numbers do not come up, are unavailable and are only part of the box. Given the triplesquare bolts, this is probably why almost everyone sells the box WITHOUT the brackets. Nobody has the equipment to remove those bolts!!! And...they are basically "unavailable"... If you want a comfort box you have to purchase it at the dealer. If you want to install it yourself you will need a M5x.08 nutsert gun and the correct triplesquare socket for the bolts. Better to just pay the dealer. Wholesale price was $350. MBUSA lists it as $400 "installed" as a PIO. My advice is to just do it that way.

I have lots of tools, so I got it installed today and I really like it.
YMMV.

The "funny" thing is that it blocks the trunk lamp!!
Really?!?!?!
Jeezzzz..

Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Glad you were able to stick with this, and thanks for sharing the resolution.
Frank Rizzo (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI. You will not need the M5x.08 because it comes with the car from the factory. You will only need the bracket, bolts and of course the comfort box.
Frank Rizzo (02-25-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comfort Box Question