MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Who was first ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/735475-who-first.html)

NickCats 02-09-2019 09:59 PM

Who was first ?

I just turned in my 2016 e400 coupe and took home a 2018 e300 sedan. It is definitely slower but switching the drive mode to sport makes a huge difference. This is the first Benz I have had with P3, love the autonomous driving so far. My question, my ex had a Volvo XC90 and I noticed a lot of the functions ( radar based cruise control, auto steer, speed limit sign detection ) are very similar. Did Volvo copy Mercedes or did Mercedes copy Volvo ?

petee1997 02-09-2019 10:17 PM

I do not think these radar based cruise control are proprietary. Practically all manufacturers offer a similar version. It could be developed by an outside firm and sold to many car manufacturers.

Helmar 02-09-2019 10:23 PM

I owned a 2008 Lexus LS600hL that had a laser based active cruise control. It worked great, except it cut out during heavy downpours.

HBH

bytemaster0 02-12-2019 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by NickCats (Post 7677547)
I just turned in my 2016 e400 coupe and took home a 2018 e300 sedan. It is definitely slower but switching the drive mode to sport makes a huge difference. This is the first Benz I have had with P3, love the autonomous driving so far. My question, my ex had a Volvo XC90 and I noticed a lot of the functions ( radar based cruise control, auto steer, speed limit sign detection ) are very similar. Did Volvo copy Mercedes or did Mercedes copy Volvo ?

Mercedes-Benz offered the first version of what has become Drive Pilot in the late 1990s. Distronic was introduced on the W220 S-class in 1999. They had been prototyping radar-based systems for years before then. So, MB has been developing this system for a very long time.

As a side note, Distronic was not available on the E-class until the mid-2000s, and was a rare option. The progress they've made with millimeter-wave RADAR is pretty incredible. It's reliable, safe, intuitive, and feels quite natural.

mercedes.fan 02-12-2019 02:26 AM

Mercedes was probably first, think s class from the 90s had radar cruise control. Mercedes s class has often been said to be the benchmark of what a general car would be optioned with a decade later.
But alot of the hardware and software might be shared, companies like autoliv makes this tech and license it to other companies

rustybear3 02-12-2019 07:34 PM

I don't know who made it first. All I know that the Distronic for 2019 is a must have option. It works fantastically well, yet makes sure you're at least paying attention....as all auto drive systems should.

The lane changing mode is equally effective, as well as a great safety feature.

cetialpha5 02-12-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by bytemaster0 (Post 7679313)
Mercedes-Benz offered the first version of what has become Drive Pilot in the late 1990s. Distronic was introduced on the W220 S-class in 1999. They had been prototyping radar-based systems for years before then. So, MB has been developing this system for a very long time.

As a side note, Distronic was not available on the E-class until the mid-2000s, and was a rare option. The progress they've made with millimeter-wave RADAR is pretty incredible. It's reliable, safe, intuitive, and feels quite natural.

I believe it was available on the W211 when they came out in 2003. But it was a very rare option, very few cars had it. Same with the W212, not as rare, but still not seen often.

bytemaster0 02-12-2019 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 (Post 7680184)
I believe it was available on the W211 when they came out in 2003. But it was a very rare option, very few cars had it. Same with the W212, not as rare, but still not seen often.

Quite right, I've only seen one W211 with Distronic lately, and it was an E55 AMG. W212 had it much more often, by comparison.

BACnMercedes 02-14-2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 7677560)
It worked great, except it cut out during heavy downpours.

HBH

Every MB I've owned did not work in medium to heavy rain. But my current crappy BMW has never even flashed a warning in the rain. I guess that's one thing BMW got right.

Helmar 02-14-2019 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by BACnMercedes (Post 7681878)
But my current crappy BMW has never even flashed a warning in the rain.

I’ve got a BMW 2016 750. The active cruise cuts out in heave rain.

Actually, I’ve tied it to the windshield wiper speed,

If the wiper speed is at max, the cruise control cuts out after a few seconds.

If the wiper speed is less than max, no problem.

I wonder if the Mercedes is similar?

HBH

JDPEClassUK 02-15-2019 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Helmar (Post 7681892)

I’ve got a BMW 2016 750. The active cruise cuts out in heave rain.

Actually, I’ve tied it to the windshield wiper speed,

If the wiper speed is at max, the cruise control cuts out after a few seconds.

If the wiper speed is less than max, no problem.

I wonder if the Mercedes is similar?

HBH

I would think all makes/model as are the same because radar bounces off heavy rain and as a safety feature it cuts out because it cannot define the vehicle in front properly

bytemaster0 02-15-2019 06:02 PM

The rain causes RADAR reflections. If the rain is heavy enough, the system registers too much noise, not enough usable signal. Because MB's systems use three RADAR units up front, it's a better, safer system, but can have trouble in some edge cases. On early Distronic models (early non-Plus versions), moderate rain or spray could easily cause it to shut off. However, on Plus and Drive Pilot versions, I've only had it cut out rarely, even in heavy precipitation on the highway.