MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Distronic Plus Stop&Go with Audio 20 Media Screen ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/735619-distronic-plus-stop-go-audio-20-media-screen.html)

Luster 02-11-2019 04:42 PM

Distronic Plus Stop&Go with Audio 20 Media Screen ?

If the car has Drive Pilot and Distronic Plus but it does not have COMAND but Audio 20 with big Media Display, can the car then drive stop&go by itself in city traffic or not ?

So I mean in city traffic lights, I think I have seen somewhere that it cannot brake to stop and then drive back to speed when you touch gas pedal.

Thanks

bytemaster0 02-12-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Luster (Post 7678972)
If the car has Drive Pilot and Distronic Plus but it does not have COMAND but Audio 20 with big Media Display, can the car then drive stop&go by itself in city traffic or not ?

So I mean in city traffic lights, I think I have seen somewhere that it cannot brake to stop and then drive back to speed when you touch gas pedal.

Thanks

I do not believe that is accurate. DISTRONIC PLUS should work independently of the media configurations - there are some basic requirements, but if it's installed, it should work as expected.

mercedes.fan 02-12-2019 02:31 AM

Distronic plus can be optioned without comand so it will probably work without it. It is radar based so I dont think it has any connection to the comand infotainment

Luster 02-12-2019 02:44 AM

Thanks guys. I also think it should be there but it could also ajdust speed when it reads traffic sign but it does not do it when COMAND is not on board.

Luster 02-12-2019 05:32 PM

It seems that I was right. This forum is not active very much it seems. I am sure that there are a lot of owners here with this setup so they can confirm all this.

http://www.jesmb.de/news/news/pop.ht.../213/e808b.jpg

bytemaster0 02-12-2019 10:45 PM

Ah, you're asking about traffic sign assistant. That is different, and I'm sure that COMAND plays a significant role. However, stop&go in the more basic sense (3-second resume, like W212) will work perfectly - just perhaps not with the 30-second-long delay when stopped in traffic.

Luster 02-13-2019 01:10 PM

Yes I am speaking about that 30 second delay. Only COMAND has it and it makes no sense. What does this option actually do ?

JDPEClassUK 02-13-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Luster (Post 7680661)
Yes I am speaking about that 30 second delay. Only COMAND has it and it makes no sense. What does this option actually do ?

What does what option actually do? If you mean Comand Online then it is specified in some detail in the manual and the W213/S213 MB Brochure

Luster 02-13-2019 06:26 PM

No I mean that option Stop&Go with 30 second timer.
It can drive by itself in city lights I guess with COMAND but with Audio 20 it does not have that 30 second part. Maybe it cannot start in traffic jam by itself when it does not have COMAND, it seems that way. I am really surprised that there is no word on that on google.

bytemaster0 02-14-2019 12:48 AM

I think there is actually some logic to this. The 30-second feature only works when the car can detect more than one parallel lane of traffic. It can gauge that with radar, cameras, and ultrasonic sensors. My guess is that cars without the COMAND system do NOT have the parking assistant. No parking assistant, no ultrasonic sensors, no ultrasonic sensors, no way to tell (at a stillstand) how much traffic is around the car. No way to tell the number of lanes of traffic (at a stillstand - RADAR can easily see the cars in motion), then no 30-second method. Please do keep in mind that the 3-second (not 30) timeout will still work just fine. That relies only on RADAR and camera systems.

So, I think in reality, it has nothing to do with COMAND, and everything to do with the parking assistant not being installed. And because the parking assistant uses the large screen as a preview (the W213 removed the dedicated parking sensor display bars in favor of on-screen only feedback), it requires the large screen to be present to have the parking system.

Luster 02-14-2019 07:33 AM

But if the car has Audio 20 with big Media Display, Rear camera and parking sensors all around the car, Driver Package with Drive Pilot and Multibeam. It has everything except 360° camera and then why it does not have it ? Only because of COMAND.

I think Drive Pilot option gives you all needed radars and cameras, if not then Multibeam gives it all.
And then they say with COMAND it can change lanes by itself and same equipped car with Audio 20 and big screen cannot !
Same thing with that 30 second delay, car without COMAND has everything needed but cannot do it.
Then more, car has all cameras and Distronic Plus and even reads traffic signs but cannot adjust the speed to traffic sign without COMAND.

That is clear software crippling of the car IMO.

JDPEClassUK 02-14-2019 12:54 PM

Probably - that’s why Comand costs more!

rbrylaw 02-14-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Luster (Post 7681307)
But if the car has Audio 20 with big Media Display, Rear camera and parking sensors all around the car, Driver Package with Drive Pilot and Multibeam. It has everything except 360° camera and then why it does not have it ? Only because of COMAND.

I think Drive Pilot option gives you all needed radars and cameras, if not then Multibeam gives it all.
And then they say with COMAND it can change lanes by itself and same equipped car with Audio 20 and big screen cannot !
Same thing with that 30 second delay, car without COMAND has everything needed but cannot do it.
Then more, car has all cameras and Distronic Plus and even reads traffic signs but cannot adjust the speed to traffic sign without COMAND.

That is clear software crippling of the car IMO.

Well.......if Audio 20 did everything Comand did, why would anyone pay more for Comand? Perhaps the old saying, you get what you pay for is appropriate?

Luster 02-14-2019 07:39 PM

The part where it goes wrong is that it limits the systems which have almost nothing to do with the COMAND itself ! Thats the funny part.

I do agree that COMAND should have better navigation, better phone integration, better online services, more options to adjust the screen etc. but limiting Drivers Package when you have 100% identical parts is just bull*hit.

rbrylaw 02-14-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Luster (Post 7681790)
The part where it goes wrong is that it limits the systems which have almost nothing to do with the COMAND itself ! Thats the funny part.

I do agree that COMAND should have better navigation, better phone integration, better online services, more options to adjust the screen etc. but limiting Drivers Package when you have 100% identical parts is just bull*hit.

You don't know whether the software built into Audio 20 is capable of doing the same Drivers Package tricks as the system programmed into Comand. I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find any E Class in the US without Comand. My dealer wouldn't order one without it.

Luster 02-14-2019 07:48 PM

I am in Europe and you can find a lot of them here. It can read the sign but it is not capable to tell to distronic to adjust the speed according to it, come on.

Its just like it says with ONLINE you get all parking sensors work and with Audio 20 the ones on the side do not work but they are installed and connected. It is ok of they dont install it but to have everything and cripple functions is not funny. But it is how it is, I am just telling my opinion.

ua549 02-15-2019 09:49 AM

Your internet connection is capable of extremely fast speeds, but you only get the speed you pay for. That concept is true for just about everything.

Luster 02-15-2019 09:53 AM

I agree, but I pay my internet connection 20€ a month and I pay my premium car 70 000€.
But I get your point and I understand that, I only tell that they restricted some car options with which COMAND does not have almost any connection.

wagonsrock 02-15-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Luster (Post 7681790)
limiting Drivers Package when you have 100% identical parts is just bull*hit.

Every model 3 sold by Tesla has all the hardware necessary for Autopilot (which is way better than Command - we own both cars) BUT they charge $5k for the software to activate the features. MB is doing the same and I guess this will be more common in future where the cost of hardware is small compared to development costs for software.

Luster 02-15-2019 09:55 AM

Then lets wait for some smart hackers who will activate all that :)