E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E450 ordered. ALMOST everything I wanted......

Old 02-23-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes E450
E450 ordered. ALMOST everything I wanted......

I just placed an order for a 2019 E450 Sedan, to be delivered at the end of June: Lunar Blue Metallic, Macchiato Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa Leather, Natural Grain Brown Ash Wood.

The car will have virtually every package and option, with the exception of the panoramic roof.

One disappointment. In order to get the color combination I wanted, in the time limits I needed, I had to order the Luxury styling instead of the Sport package.This gives me the hood ornament, which (IMHO), is a bit ostentatious.

Other than that, I’m looking forward to taking delivery and experiencing the driving in the new car. The day after delivery, I’m embarking on the following 3 week road trip around the north eastern USA.

HBH

Last edited by Helmar; 02-23-2019 at 02:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Wade3350 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Originally Posted by Helmar
''' had to order the Luxury styling instead of the Sport package...

HBH
You do realize that it is not just the styling, they do have different suspension calibration corresponding to "styling", right?
Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 PM

2019 Mercedes E450
Originally Posted by threeMBs
You do realize that it is not just the styling, they do have different suspension calibration corresponding to "styling", right?
Actually, yes. THAT part of the Luxury package I’m looking forward to....
Old 02-23-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E450 4Matic ordered Dec 2018
Congratulations 🎈 I ordered mine late December and it’s been built and at the port in Bremerhaven. I got the luxury package as well. I prefer the look of the star emblem on the hood. It’s my first Mercedes-Benz. Mine is Selenite gray with pano roof and pretty much fully loaded. Can’t wait to get it. Been dreaming of it for over a year.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 E450W, 2020 GLC300
Helmar,

I think you may like the Luxury option. I had the Sport option on my 2009. It ate a set of tires before 18,000 miles of gentle driving, the tread really did have a "chewed up" look. Staggered wheel sizes so rotation is impossible. It also had a notably hard ride. Lesson learned, for me. Current 2018 E300 (7th Benz) is a Luxury option, very nice ride but still handles well. I'd love to hear your opinion after you take it on the trip you have planned.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 551 Likes on 415 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02: (and nothing more than my opinion which others will disagree with and they too are correct)

I think the E450 is the ultimate luxury sedan - the sedan of choice for executives throughout the world. In all countries beside the US the S class is chauffeur driven.

I accept that and this is my second luxury Mercedes. I think trying to make a luxury sedan "sporty" by stiffening the suspension and lowering the body is just plain silly.

I want elegance and luxury both of which you get with the Luxury option.

I know others will disagree and add different wheels, and other body options and the beauty of the Mercedes is that you can customize your car to your taste.

For me, the hood ornament is traditional Mercedes and I love it.
Wade3350 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by JTK44
Just my $.02: (and nothing more than my opinion which others will disagree with and they too are correct)

I think the E450 is the ultimate luxury sedan - the sedan of choice for executives throughout the world. In all countries beside the US the S class is chauffeur driven.

I accept that and this is my second luxury Mercedes. I think trying to make a luxury sedan "sporty" by stiffening the suspension and lowering the body is just plain silly.

I want elegance and luxury both of which you get with the Luxury option.

I know others will disagree and add different wheels, and other body options and the beauty of the Mercedes is that you can customize your car to your taste.

For me, the hood ornament is traditional Mercedes and I love it.
I could not agree with you more, could not have stated better myself what you stated. I feel with the luxury package the car really is a true Mercedes and drives like it. Plus you get the addition of the stitched leather dash material which IMO looks better. I like the hood ornament myself, it is like classic MB. With my Cabriolet I did get the AMG line, but that is different, it is meant to a luxury sports car and it fits the bill well as that for me. The performance of the E450 still amazes me, I knew if MB could put this same motor in the big S class and have happy customers it was the powertrain for me in the E class. I did have a E63 AMG wagon, I just felt like that car was lost and a vehicle that could decide what it wanted to be. It had astounding performance but still was a wagon and really did not turn heads at all driving it down the road. My E450 Cabriolet turns heads right and left and yet will still get 30 mpg on the highway while doing it and I feel with the AMG line in my smaller and more nimble Cabriolet handles as good as my E63 wagon did or at least close. In sport plus mode the E450 Cabriolet is just about every bit as fun to drive as the E63 was without as much fear of making too much of spectacle and attracting the LEO's. Congrats to the OP on your upcoming order, sounds like a great build. I can't quite tell on your map as it's slightly blurred, but are from Maine? I went to College up there and got two degrees at USM over 38 years ago. When I first started there it was called UMPG.
Wade3350 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 03:59 PM

2019 Mercedes E450
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I can't quite tell on your map as it's slightly blurred, but are from Maine?
Yes, I live on an island in Kittery, Maine. The ride quality is important to me. I'm coming from several Lexus's (Lexi?), and a current BMW 750 where the ride quality and noise level is quite good. In fact, I test drove an E53, but didn't like the constant engine sound.
HBH

Old 02-25-2019, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
The star hood ornament is pretty standard on many models. At first I didn't like it either and swore that if it ever got damaged, I'd just replace it with a flat badge. They're all the same size so any flat badge should fit. Then I snapped it off once when the hood was covered in snow and I forgot the exact spot it was in and I had gotten used to it so I just replaced it with the same one. Now I just clear around the ornament by hand first when clearing snow off the hood.

I'm not sure why people love sport styling. Usually the suspension is about an inch lower than the luxury version. I find most people don't get the most of their cars, I lose people in corners all the time and I don't think I'm maxing out the capabilities of the car. Sure sport may have slightly better handling, but it's pointless if drivers aren't really taking advantage of it and you suffer all the time from a harsh ride.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was a tough decision to get rid of my E63 amg wagon after just a year for the e450 luxury wagon with the blood bath I took but I’m so much more happy with the e450. The e63 was just way too brittle for me. Felt like steel rods for shocks. I sometimes think I should have had the dealer investigate it more as there was no difference between the sport plus suspension setting and the comfort setting. But there were no fault codes so they probably would have just told me the car is a amg and meant to be stiff. The only thing that made me feel ok about the deal was I came away plus 20 grand in the bank and a new 2019 with the cool steering wheel and improve adaptive cruise control although I did sustain a 20 grand loss in one year. My fault though I goofed and bought the wrong car.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM

2019 Mercedes E450
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
and improve adaptive cruise control
What was the improvement in the cruise control that so impressed you?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 2018 I had would do things where I could not trust the steering assist such as when it saw an exit off the higheay I’d find the car making a b line for the exit. It was better than the 2015 s class I had but still not great. It would also wander some within lanes. The 2019 remains fairly straight and still has not cut off yet off the highway. Each year the Distronic evolves a little to be better. 2019 was a pretty big jump up in my opinion. The car will turn much tighter on curvy roads than the 2018 would. Plus the new steering wheels are so much better with the cruise controls on it and I think just looks better. And here’s the really strange thing the stock command stereo just sounds so much better with the 2019s. Don’t know why. All I can think of is burmiester changed speaker venders or something. My 2018 e63 amg stereo sounded horrible. No sound stage whatsoever and flat beyond flat.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 02-25-2019 at 05:58 PM.