MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   Why is the Warmth & Comfort or Driver Assistance packages so hard to find? (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/738169-why-warmth-comfort-driver-assistance-packages-so-hard-find.html)

Edd123 03-09-2019 10:08 PM

Why is the Warmth & Comfort or Driver Assistance packages so hard to find?

I've been looking into new e-class builds, and the most intriguing features to me are the warmth and comfort package (heated armrests), as well as the dynamic cruise control w/ stop and go (Driver Assistance Package)

It seems it's incredibly rare to find a dealer to stock either the warmth and comfort package or the driver assistance package. I thought luxury cars had the issue where it was hard to find one with few options!

If I try to build my own, I've noticed the driver assistance package cannot be combined with the premium package. I'm not sure if that is a bug in their site or somehow MB cannot put them both on the same car. (this would explain at least why dealers won't stock driver assistance)

cetialpha5 03-09-2019 10:55 PM

With Mercedes it's the exact opposite. It's got the luxury car name so people buy them without the options. Very hard to find a used one that's loaded for that reason. If you add up all the options, you end up finding yourself pushing up against the next trim level and if you have too many high priced cars on your lot, people can just as easily shop Audi or BMW.

rustybear3 03-10-2019 03:15 AM

At my dealerships, most new cars on the lots are loaded with most of the options you say are missing. Maybe it's regional.

I can tell you though, the one option hard to find is the warmth and comfort package; primarily because it's not ordered that often. I did try it out on one model, and found it to be MEH. Barely warm. Unnecessary cost IMO for a heated arm rest. Instead, get a heated steering wheel which is a must have in cold climates. The E class warms up quickly as it is.

ygmn 03-10-2019 07:34 AM

Do not look at the E350 which tends to be set up for cheap price on lot. IE no options.

look for the E450 which already comes with more goodies and dealers figure buyers want all the options so they load them up more.

Lanzz 03-10-2019 09:35 AM

I see about 20% of cars at my dealer with Driver Assistance. Now that it is standalone, I definitely want it on my next one... Warmth and Comfort is rare in the south - but I did see an E450 yesterday at Hendrick that had it, oddly enough. Funny thing, ygmn, Hendrick had a bunch of modestly equipped E450s - as you said above, I would have assumed the opposite, given that the 450 is the top non AMG model.

Edd123 03-10-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7701688)
At my dealerships, most new cars on the lots are loaded with most of the options you say are missing. Maybe it's regional.

I can tell you though, the one option hard to find is the warmth and comfort package; primarily because it's not ordered that often. I did try it out on one model, and found it to be MEH. Barely warm. Unnecessary cost IMO for a heated arm rest. Instead, get a heated steering wheel which is a must have in cold climates. The E class warms up quickly as it is.

I happened to get a heated steering wheel in my current car because of dealer inventory, and it's my most unexpectedly loved option. I don't think I can go back to a car without one. This is exactly why I wanted to step it up to a heated arm rest- so good to know it may not be worth it.

Helmar 03-10-2019 11:12 AM

I live on an island in Maine.

As i’m writing this, I can see it snowing outside. Yesterday it was 6 when I woke up.

Heated everything works best for me....

HBH

rustybear3 03-10-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Edd123 (Post 7701821)
I happened to get a heated steering wheel in my current car because of dealer inventory, and it's my most unexpectedly loved option. I don't think I can go back to a car without one. This is exactly why I wanted to step it up to a heated arm rest- so good to know it may not be worth it.

Isn't that heated steering wheel wonderful? I love how it gradually decreases in heat as your cabin heats up!

The heated armrests, however, seemed to be a hit or miss....either just warm or a little better. Plus the extra money can be spent on better options. Just my 2 cents.

wagonsrock 03-10-2019 10:12 PM

When I ordered my car the heated arm rests came as a package with the heated steering wheel which was a must have. I'm surprised to read posts here that the arm rests don't do much. Mine get very toasty, but frankly I could live without them. By contrast I could not live without a heated steering wheel in Winter.

madtrader 03-11-2019 12:17 AM

Not sure if is just a US thing, but the 2019 dealer order guide copy I have shows heated steering wheel in the warmth and comfort package. I ordered that for my coming e450 wagon. My 2018 e400 wagon has this package as well (with the heated steering wheel). I really like the extra heated panels, which is why I went ahead and ordered my 2019 with one. This winter it’s been very nice. I can feel them through a jacket, which surprised me. I didn’t think they would make such a difference. I have two complaints: I wish the heated steering wheel was a bit warmer, and I wish the auto heat reduction on the seats were slower. I can’t do a side by side comparison, but I think the timing was longer in my old w212.

rustybear3 03-11-2019 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Edd123 (Post 7701821)
I I wish the heated steering wheel was a bit warmer, and I wish the auto heat reduction on the seats were slower. I can’t do a side by side comparison, but I think the timing was longer in my old w212.

Then if I were you, I'd take my car in to have them check your steering wheel. If anything, my heated steering wheel leans towards the hot side (which is fine by me), making it toasty no matter how cold. I've had plenty of heated steering wheels over the years, and this E450 model is the best so far! Also, both my driver and passenger seats in auto heat reduction tapers off in a reasonable time.

petee1997 03-11-2019 11:38 AM

I agree, this heated steering wheel is very warm. I usually turn it off after ten minutes.

ua549 03-11-2019 06:42 PM

What is needed is a cool and comfort package for us folks that can never get away from a sweaty steering wheel.

madtrader 03-12-2019 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7702414)
Then if I were you, I'd take my car in to have them check your steering wheel. If anything, my heated steering wheel leans towards the hot side (which is fine by me), making it toasty no matter how cold. I've had plenty of heated steering wheels over the years, and this E450 model is the best so far! Also, both my driver and passenger seats in auto heat reduction tapers off in a reasonable time.

I’ll be trading my 2018 in for a 2019 in the next few weeks. We’ll see how the 2019 wheel heat is. On the auto seat heat reduction, it has reasonable timing, it just seems faster than my w212 was. I did several 600 mile non stop legs in that car and got used to the reduction timing. This one is just quicker. It heats up faster as well.

lkfoster 03-12-2019 01:55 PM

My theory is that most Merc buyers want the most "face" car at the lowest price. After over 30-odd years of shopping for mid-size German cars I've found that 80-90% of them on dealer lots are "strippers". I never could understand why you would want things like cr*p halogen lights on a mid-$60K car for example. That's why we didn't even bother to check inventories when ordering the current Merc.

Oh, and to stay on topic the heated steering wheel, armrests and rapid heating are quite nice to have even if the car stays in California and Arizona. Just wish that Mercedes offered an electrically heated windshield like Volvo.

Haag 03-12-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by lkfoster (Post 7703660)
Just wish that Mercedes offered an electrically heated windshield like Volvo.

They do. I have it on my (European) W213.

ua549 03-12-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by lkfoster (Post 7703660)
Just wish that Mercedes offered an electrically heated windshield like Volvo.

Options vary by marketing regions. For example a heated steering wheel is standard in Canada and a heated windshield is optional for cad 650 (usd 486).