MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   moving after the car sits for awhile (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/738283-moving-after-car-sits-awhile.html)

dukester34 03-11-2019 10:23 AM

moving after the car sits for awhile

hi all, been meaning to post this question for a bit. I park and let the car sit for awhile day or more. when I then go get in the car and drive the breaks are locked, and I have to break them lose. anyone else?

CaptainE 03-11-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dukester34 (Post 7702510)
hi all, been meaning to post this question for a bit. I park and let the car sit for awhile day or more. when I then go get in the car and drive the breaks are locked, and I have to break them lose. anyone else?

Break the brakes? What does this even mean?

Egonvdv 03-11-2019 10:34 AM

i think this normally only happens when you open the door first & then cut engine.
(same when u open the door when engine running & then closer it again: you have to release brake manually before driving away again)

it NEVER happened to me in a normal situation, not even after a 3 week park.

Egonvdv 03-11-2019 10:36 AM

ah.. now that i read captainE 's comments, i may have misunderstood OP's post. you mean the brake pads are stuck to the discs & you have to brake several times to get them loose again?

loggato 03-11-2019 10:39 AM

Possibly a humid climate? getting a little rust on the BRAKE rotors?

dukester34 03-11-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Egonvdv (Post 7702530)
ah.. now that i read captainE 's comments, i may have misunderstood OP's post. you mean the brake pads are stuck to the discs & you have to brake several times to get them loose again?

yes pads are stuck to rotors. then I have to apply more power to roll. once its free no issues till I let it sit again for a day or more.

Egonvdv 03-11-2019 11:51 AM

never happened to me. (when i put car in drive it starts to roll by itself)
I doubt it, but: Maybe outside temperatures have something to do with it? (( where i live it rarely gets below 8c (46f) ))

ygmn 03-11-2019 12:07 PM

Where do you live?
What do rotors look like before you drive off?

2thfxr 03-11-2019 12:23 PM

It happens to me when I wash the car and immediately park it in the garage. The brakes do not get swept clean of water because the distance is too short. Just a little extra throttle gets it moving.

tarsands 03-11-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dukester34 (Post 7702510)

Yes, it happens to me frequently when the car has been stopped( even when only for a moment ). When accelerating from any stop where the auto parking brake has applied it feels like the car struggles to "break free" for an instant.

suby01 03-11-2019 02:00 PM

Its the parking brake. Sometime when reversing for me I need to give it more gas for the parking brake to be released, or simply flip the electric switch under the dash.

xrayted 03-11-2019 03:38 PM

Yes. This happens to me too! Notice it only after it has been raining heavily, driving around, and then park the car in the garage and the car sits for 12-24 hours.
Have to give the car a little bit of gas in reverse and there is a clanging "unstuck" type noise from the breaks. Jarring the first time I heard it! Now I'm used to it.

nycebo 03-11-2019 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by xrayted (Post 7702799)
Yes. This happens to me too! Notice it only after it has been raining heavily, driving around, and then park the car in the garage and the car sits for 12-24 hours.
Have to give the car a little bit of gas in reverse and there is a clanging "unstuck" type noise from the breaks. Jarring the first time I heard it! Now I'm used to it.

This exactly. It happens to me after driving in the rain and then letting the car sit overnight. The solution is to brake hard enough to heat the pads and rotors before parking but I live up a hill presently.

Like you, I have to give the car some gas in forward or reverse to "unstick" the pads. I always worry that I'll rip something off.

As an aside, I bought some Hyde's Rust Stopper but it didn't really do anything, sadly.

ua549 03-11-2019 06:36 PM

It is a design feature. When starting the car the brakes remained locked until a certain amount of throttle is applied. Then they release.

nycebo 03-11-2019 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by ua549 (Post 7702956)
It is a design feature. When starting the car the brakes remained locked until a certain amount of throttle is applied. Then they release.

That's not what I'm specifying, bud. I know that sensation. This feels like the pads have rusted to the brake rotors. It's very unsettling and requires a lot of gas to move forward or backward. I've never experienced a car like this before. Then again, I've never parked outside overnight before while waiting for renovations at my place to end.

ygmn 03-12-2019 08:37 AM

Wonder if it is some new pad material they are using?
Are these rotors slotted? or plain?

Maybe if slotted some brake pad dust remains and gets sticky as it cools and sticks to pad?

Strange and cannot be good in the long run......

Probably could be embarrassing as well for such an expensive car to have such issues - This would have to happen on dealer lots? those cars sit much longer and outside in rain?

Maybe rain looses them up?

dukester34 03-12-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by xrayted (Post 7702799)

yes its noisy and jarring... I do at this point think its normal for the design on this car ...

CALBenzo 03-12-2019 09:15 AM

This happens on my R8 when I wash it, and put it the garage with the parking brake on. It has to be rust build up from the rotors rusting. When don't put the parking brake on, and just leave it in gear, it doesn't get stuck. On the other hand, I haven't experienced this on my E since I have CCB's.

Lanzz 03-12-2019 10:00 AM

Happens to me if I put the car in the garage right after driving in heavy rain - a little extra throttle and a big clunking noise and I am out the door... Probably only occurred 5 or 6 times in almost three years, so I don't consider it a big deal.

petee1997 03-12-2019 10:14 AM

This has only been an issue since the automatic electric parking brake. My Porsche did the same thing when parked wet. Both my MB's do the same thing. My two 15 model MB's had a manual emergency brake that was never used and I never had a brake stick when parked wet. My conclusion is that it's the automatic electric parking brake.

stephos 03-13-2019 10:20 AM

I get this from time to time also

nycebo 03-13-2019 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 7703434)
This has only been an issue since the automatic electric parking brake. My Porsche did the same thing when parked wet. Both my MB's do the same thing. My two 15 model MB's had a manual emergency brake that was never used and I never had a brake stick when parked wet. My conclusion is that it's the automatic electric parking brake.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Definitely. The parking brake is clamping the rotor and then oxidizing onto it.

rbrylaw 03-15-2019 08:35 PM

This has never happened to me on either the E400 or E450. I do release the electronic parking brake before I accelerate either going forward or in reverse, so that may have something to do with it?

wagonsrock 03-15-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997 (Post 7703434)

Your explanation makes sense. My 2018 E400S has done this a lot this winter. My prior BMW, with a manual hand brake, never did this, even though I set the 'emergency' brake every time I parked (habit ingrained when learning to drive in UK). So what's different between manually setting the parking brake, and setting it electronically?

sflguy4u2 03-27-2019 07:46 PM

Same here ...

[QUOTE=2thfxr;7702639]It happens to me when I wash the car and immediately park it in the garage. The brakes do not get swept clean of water because the distance is too short. Just a little extra throttle gets it moving

Same here ..... happens after every wash.