MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   It happened! A scratch! (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/738938-happened-scratch.html)

sackboydad 03-17-2019 10:02 PM

It happened! A scratch!

Darn it! I very lightly scratched the side of my front bumper today. My fault... garage is tight with two cars and while I was gone, someone needed something that was stored to the right of where my car parks. They moved a wagon not two inches, but it was enough that the bumper hit the wagon.

if you look, you can see two faint scratches that are slightly lighter color on the grey plastic bumper but they don’t leap out unless you’re looking for them. If you run your finger over them you can feel them, but it’s very subtle.

Is there anything, analogous to touch-up-paint, that can be done? Buffing? It irritates me that it happened, but not enough to spend thousands to replace the bumper!

I’m taking it to the dealer on Thursday to fix a number of things wrong with the car... the moaning noise from the ABC, replace the passenger air scarf that is dead, tighten up on the windows that rattles when you go over something like a speed bump, and a very annoying squeak that is happening more and more.... it sounds like brakes but it does it after the brakes, particularly the parking brake, has just been released. It’s almost like the brakes aren’t fully letting up on one wheel while the car starts moving. But that’s just my guess.

rbrylaw 03-17-2019 11:13 PM

So sorry to see this, but if it's a light scratch, not actual paint removed, see if the detail guys at your dealer can buff it out. If the paint is removed, that may not be possible, but a good buff on plastic parts like a bumper can be very effective.

2012 merc amg 03-17-2019 11:40 PM

Ya, might be able to be buffed out with scratch remover and a little touch up stuff. Sounds fairly minor. I felt like I was destroying my Cabrio with under 2K miles. I parked over a parking curb with was dumb and backing out pulled on the front fascia, it moved it out a tiny bit from from the fender on the drivers side. Showed it to the dealer, they said 300 bucks to fix but why bother hardly noticeable so I didn't do anything with that. Then I tore my center console box door off but the dealer fixed that, then I scuffed the right rear AMG just a tiny bit on a there again most would not even notice it. Stuff happens, at least I just competed a couple days ago a 1450 mile drive with the car with no incidents so that was relief. My wagon actually is staying real good, just a tiny scuff mark on the bumper unloading a bike. Lots of Florida love bugs on the front of the car now I noticed to, get the car wash to scrub those off next time through.

sackboydad 03-18-2019 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7708101)
I parked over a parking curb with was dumb and backing out pulled on the front fascia

i did that the first week I had the car but it was just tapping it as I pulled into a parking spot. Then I realized I had two things... I could raise the car 1” with ABC and, even better, use the zillion dollar parking assist surround camera.

Now its its just second nature... any time I park, no matter where (except my garage of course) I turn the camera system on. I can see overhead to make sure I’m exactly centered between the lines (better chance my doors don’t get dinged), but even better in a parking lot that has islands with curbs, I’ll use the side camera mode to help me park within 6 inches of the curb on the end, thereby giving the maximum amount of space between the opposite side of my car from the curb and the car sec to me. I’ve gotten so used to automatically using these cameras like this, that I really miss them when I have to drive my wife’s “space shuttle” (GMC Yukon Denali XL) or my son’s Escape (my former car). They both have backup cameras but that’s it.

MikeO3 03-18-2019 08:02 AM

I have used Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 successfully on superficial scratches on my previous car (metallic charcoal) and wife's car (metallic light blue). Use very lightly in vertical/horizontal movement & repeat as necessary as to not be too aggressive with each pass.

sackboydad 03-18-2019 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MikeO3 (Post 7708240)
I have used Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 successfully on superficial scratches on my previous car (metallic charcoal) and wife's car (metallic light blue). Use very lightly in vertical/horizontal movement & repeat as necessary as to not be too aggressive with each pass.

thank you. This works on plastic?

MikeO3 03-18-2019 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by sackboydad (Post 7708246)
thank you. This works on plastic?

Yes, all painted surfaces. Good luck.

nycebo 03-18-2019 02:25 PM

Come live in a NYC for a month. You'll wish your bumper looked as good as it does now.

baadmon 11-29-2019 09:21 PM

Seems identical to a scratch that I have on my lower rear bumper. And I am all too familiar with NY - I can just imagine how anyone's bumper looks from drivers who can't parallel park and hit your front and rear bumper.