Was trying to figure out a way to leave the car running and turn off remotely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Was trying to figure out a way to leave the car running and turn off remotely

Nope could not figure it out today. I figured with this Florida heat starting to get hotter it would be nice to leave the A/C going while getting my wheelchair out and into it and then turn off my car once I'm in the wheelchair without having to reach into the car to hit the Stop/Start Button. So had the car running. First thing I tried was to close the door and hit the lock tab on the door handle, nope, nothing NADA. Would not even lock with the car still running. Then I thought what if I hit the lock botton on the FOB, nope, nothing NADA. would not even lock again. So then I thought, ok, go to the the Mercedes Me App on my iPhone and turn the engine off with it. Nope, can't turn the engine off with the App, you can only Start or Turn it off once the car is Remote started. So then I thought, ok, I'll try locking the car with the App and then maybe I can turn it off. So low and behold the car did lock with the App but it remained running. I then tried to unlock the car by grabbing the door handle, Nothing, it would not unlock the car remained running. I'm thinking oh this is nice, the car is now locked and its running and I still have the keys but what good is it doing me as even the FOB was doing nothing when I tried to unlock the car. So went back into the App, thank god my cell phone battery was not going dead or a weak signal or something and I hit Unlock on my cellphone with the App. The car did unlock, but it was still running. So I reached over and hit the Stop/Start button and turned the car off. Looks like no way to turn the car off without using the Stop/Start button. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Good thing I was able to get the car open with the App, I was starting the visualize the car continuing to run until it was out of gas or something plus at that point I was trying to rush to get to Doctors appt. I dunno how I get myself into these things. Well, at least I didn't have to tear the center console door off, lol.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-02-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Did you try stopping your car, getting out and starting again remotely with your ME connect app. Then once in your chair, open or grab your handle causing your car to stop?
Old 04-03-2019, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That won’t work with the door open. Has to be closed and locked for remote start to work.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C200
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar experience a few days ago.

Locked my car while it was running.

It was a weekend night 12am.
Key didn't unlock the car!
No app or whatsoever (we don't get Mercedes me here).

So I almost broke the window, actually hit it twice with a hammer but it didn't break.

Finally with the help of a friend we were able to open the car the GTA style with a metal rod and minimal damage.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow you were lucky to get in. These cars are not easy to break into. Crazy how sometimes the unlock feature on these doors just shuts down. I did find the best way to get out of the car while still having the fan blow cool air is to start getting out of the car while it’s in shutdown eco mode and the fan and radio keep going. By the time I’m ready to wheel away in my chair the don’t forget key and chime dings but the radio and fan still stay on. But as soon as I close the door the car completely shuts down. That’s a nice little feature within the cars programming that my 2018 did not do.
Originally Posted by Almashayekhi1
Sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar experience a few days ago.

Locked my car while it was running.

It was a weekend night 12am.
Key didn't unlock the car!
No app or whatsoever (we don't get Mercedes me here).

So I almost broke the window, actually hit it twice with a hammer but it didn't break.

Finally with the help of a friend we were able to open the car the GTA style with a metal rod and minimal damage.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
There is a driver's door mechanical key slot if the fob fails.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I think you may need to go with an aftermarket solution.

These guys appear to be the top dogs for MB aftermarket add-on and retrofit electronics:
https://www.midcityengineering.com/
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looks like Mid city is mostly for older cars 2017 and below and don't see anything there though would work on the 2019. It's ok with the way I've figured out to get out at this point just leaving it in the run position in Eco mode and having the fan still blowing and Radio still working as I get out and after a minute or so when the door is closed it totally shuts down, that was a pretty good find.