MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   E-Class (W213) (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213-208/)
-   -   remote window roll down/up (https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/750139-remote-window-roll-down-up.html)

TugboatBill 07-11-2019 10:51 AM

remote window roll down/up

I added a ebay module to my C7 Corvette where with 3 clicks of the unlock button on the remote both windows roll down. Really convenient for dumping hot air on a warm day before I get in. Works to the full range of the remote.

On my E63 (2018) I read in the manual one can do the same by just holding the unlock button on the remote. It is supposed to open the shade and then roll down all the windows. I've tried it multiple times and was only able to get it to work once when I was standing at the driver's door. Has anyone else been able to get this to work? What is the trick? I know it is reading the remote as the mirrors unfold and the lights blink, but no roll down (or even the shade opening).

Haag 07-11-2019 12:11 PM

It only works when you are (very) close to the vehicle.

TugboatBill 07-11-2019 12:22 PM

That kind of defeats the purpose. If I'm at the door I might as well open it, press the start button and roll down all the windows.

Haag 07-11-2019 12:27 PM

Yep, agree. And unfortunately I can also not open windows and roof with the app.

TugboatBill 07-11-2019 12:31 PM

I know we can start it remotely but that isn't the same thing. It takes quite a bit longer to cool down when you can't vent the extreme hot air first. Sadly the company that makes the device for my Corvette doesn't make one for Mercedes.

whoover 07-11-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by TugboatBill (Post 7800479)
That kind of defeats the purpose. If I'm at the door I might as well open it, press the start button and roll down all the windows.

Actually, the purpose is to crack all the windows and sunroof when you park the car. It keeps it from getting too hot and vents the car quickly if you do a remote start.

In California, where it never rains in the summer, it works great. In places with possible thunderstorms, it could be a problem.

ua549 07-11-2019 12:42 PM

I just remote start my E300 and let the a/c do the work. Without a key the car is secure. OTOH rolling down windows on an unoccupied car is an invitation to criminals.

Marc Kaplan 07-11-2019 12:50 PM

My wife's X3 does it from a distance, it's a great feature.

whoover 07-11-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Marc Kaplan (Post 7800505)
My wife's X3 does it from a distance, it's a great feature.

It's one of those Mercedes over-the-top safety things. They are worried you might not know a child has his head out the window when you close it so you have to be close enough to see what's going on. I bet the BMW manual infotainment section doesn't include instructions on getting medical help if you swallow an SD card, either.

TugboatBill 07-11-2019 01:02 PM

What I'm looking for is opening. On my C7 it can do close but the only time I would use that is if I opened the windows and someone got close before I got to it.

This isn't about leaving windows open or opening them 10-15mins beforehand. More like I'm leaving the restaurant and can see the vehicle 80' away so I open the windows so the heat is vented before I get there.

DFWdude 07-11-2019 01:48 PM

My 18 year-old C320 has an infrared projector in the key (the EIS uses IR handshake ignition), and a receiver window in the front door handle. You could successfully open or close the windows/sunroof from 30-40 ft away if your aim was good and the remote had fresh batteries. The windows would be fully open before you got to the car. Still works today.

So... It could be said this is an OLD feature that MB no longer offers. I'm not really sure why.:nix:

suby01 07-11-2019 02:46 PM

Window down/up option works only from about 10ft away. Like others said you pretty much need to be next to the car and definitely not on the other side of the street or few rows away in a parking lot, that will not work. You need to press unlock once and then quickly press and hold unlock again and all windows & sunroof will be opened. And doing the same with the lock button on the remote closes all windows.

2012 merc amg 07-11-2019 02:49 PM

I had always assumed the reason why you had to be so close to open the windows and sunroof with he fob is because it is infared and did not work via the normal remote signal? Maybe the aiming trick will work with the new cars too?

Marc Kaplan 07-11-2019 04:25 PM

I learned the Heimlich Maneuver in case my wife swallows one!

whoover 07-11-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg (Post 7800639)
I had always assumed the reason why you had to be so close to open the windows and sunroof with he fob is because it is infared and did not work via the normal remote signal? Maybe the aiming trick will work with the new cars too?

Nope, the new models don't use IR because the distance was too unpredictable. Now it uses radio but can pinpoint the distance very accurately. Lots of antennas allow it to know whether the key is just inside the car or just outside, as well as how far outside from a door.

johna1 07-12-2019 12:21 AM

That explains something that I'd been wondering about! How was it so sure the key was inside the car - and it was always right!

2012 merc amg 07-12-2019 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by whoover (Post 7800828)
Nope, the new models don't use IR because the distance was too unpredictable. Now it uses radio but can pinpoint the distance very accurately. Lots of antennas allow it to know whether the key is just inside the car or just outside, as well as how far outside from a door.

Darn I was hoping it was ir so I could play the aim game and be further away. I think my 2012 was ir. Another reason I shoulda never sold that car.

ua549 07-12-2019 08:07 AM

I had an IR model and hated it because one must have a clear line of sight for it to work.