E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Manual Map updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 03:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
CLS 63 S 2017
Manual Map updates

Anyone know how to make them work? I followed every step. Formated in NTFS, tried Exfat also. Used their stupid download manager. The system doesn't recognize the update...it does nothing. I don't trust the automatic updates i know i will never get them since im still on the maps from the time it got out of the factory. Like benz overall great cars. But the software is terrible. I think the motto for the software team at Mercedes is this : "Great ideas, terrible execution"

Car is a 2019 E53, maps are V12 18/19

Tried all the USB ports in the car. Tried only ACC ON, Ignition ON and finally with the car running.

the usb is a 16GB usb 3.0 that i have properly formatted using disk manager on windows 10.

SOLUTION : Make sure that the USB or SD Card is using a MBR Partition scheme. GPT WILL NOT WORK

Last edited by Luminox; 12-29-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added solution to my problem
Old 12-29-2020, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
Never had any issues so far. Your home region should actually be updated over-the-air automatically, so given that you haven't even received the automatic updates tells me there is something wrong with your system. I've done about 4 updates since I took delivery of my '19 C63S Coupe (same COMAND system). The first two were automatic updates shortly after the car returned from my ED trip. My last two updates were manual in order to update all regions and the voice recognition data. Was completely straight forward. Formatted SD card (NTFS), used the download manager to download all the regions, stuck it in the car and it automatically prompted me on the screen that it detected an update. Started it and about 20 minutes later it was done. If I remember correctly, the ignition has to be on (Do you have automatic updates enabled?). The web portal is on the fritz at the moment, though, I haven't been able to get to the map updates recently, although I'm currently fully up to date. They are working on upgrading the system in conjunction with the new phone app. I'm in touch with their support and they responded the other day that it should work now, but it still doesn't and I sent them a stern response listing all the things that are still broken, including not seeing a picture of my actual car and instead seeing a generic picture of a veiled car.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:23 PM

CLS 63 S 2017
Automatic updates are on yes, i had a message on the 26th via the mercedes ME app that an update was available and would be downloaded directly to my car. Havent received any prompt to do so in my car.

Here is the map update that is available. Maybe im just impatient? At any rate im schedule to get the car in for a headlight adjustment, i guess ill bother them about the maps also.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, it looks like the 2020 maps are out. I still can't get to the manual map updates, though. For me it says the service is down. I really hope they fix that soon. However, I'm seeing the pending automatic update for my home region to be pushed to my car.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 526 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Keep in mind the update takes quite sometime to complete, it is loading over a gig over the air at fairly slow speeds. Mine does seem to work automatically ok but like I said sometimes seems to take over a week or more before it is done.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:57 PM

CLS 63 S 2017
Im starting to think OTA updates are a US only thing and we canadians are relegated to go to the stealership...

Old 12-29-2020, 07:28 PM

CLS 63 S 2017
Okay, found the solution! I will mark it here since i hate it when people don't tell how they fixed their issues.

Make sure that the USB or SD Card is using a MBR Partition scheme. GPT WILL NOT WORK
Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Luminox
Okay, found the solution! I will mark it here since i hate it when people don't tell how they fixed their issues.

Make sure that the USB or SD Card is using a MBR Partition scheme. GPT WILL NOT WORK
Interesting. Wouldn't have thought of that since I never partition SD cards or USB memory sticks. They usually come preformatted. I think I only reformatted mine to NTFS. If I remember correctly it came with exFAT.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:12 AM

CLS 63 S 2017
Yeah, that one is on me, it was a Linux USB boot stick. So the tool i used probably switched it to GPT to allow it to run linux lol. I think most USB and SD cards will come with MBR. Still, glad i found that out and the information is out there for someone else in the future
The following users liked this post:
Klimfilt (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
So the OTA updates continue to work at least in the USA. Got the notification today that the system was updated and the map update shows as successfully installed now. I still can't access the manual updates on the web portal to update the voice recognition and the other regions, but the former works pretty flawlessly for me now, and I'm not planning on driving outside my home region any time soon. At least my maps are updated now until MB sorts out the issues with the web portal.