E-Class (W214) 2024 -

Remote start and routines?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 02:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
W214
Remote start and routines?

On my new E450 wagon the remote start works from my iphone but the app doesnt give me any options to set car temperature so that I
could pre warm or pre cool the car.. Has anyone else got this to work, or are we just missing an obvious feature?

With the routine software I can set a routine so that when the outside temp is above or below X deg I can turn on the electric seat, but I dont get an option to set the internal temperature, as above this would seem an obvious feature, and again my cars software doesnt have it, which makes the routines pretty useless.

thanks
Old 09-23-2024, 02:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,790 Likes on 2,373 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Spdtrpl
On my new E450 wagon the remote start works from my iphone but the app doesnt give me any options to set car temperature so that I
could pre warm or pre cool the car.. Has anyone else got this to work, or are we just missing an obvious feature?

With the routine software I can set a routine so that when the outside temp is above or below X deg I can turn on the electric seat, but I dont get an option to set the internal temperature, as above this would seem an obvious feature, and again my cars software doesnt have it, which makes the routines pretty useless.

thanks
Sadly, you cannot. At least not for North America, it will just start the engine to which temperature and climate condition it was set to before you turned off the vehicle. I would love to be wrong but that is what I remembered.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-23-2024 at 02:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
Baltistyle (09-23-2024), Spdtrpl (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
Right, there's no option to do that and it's sort of unnecessary. The HVAC is an automatic climate control system. Set it to your preferred temperature, leave the AC on and leave it on Auto. It will then cool or heat as necessary to maintain your desired temperature. Many people keep fiddling with it for no good reason. It works like your home's thermostat. Leave it on the desired temperature and it will do its job. Then when you remote start the car, it will heat or cool the interior to achieve your desired temperature. Keep in mind that to heat the interior when its cold, the engine has to be warm first, but the engine will automatically turn off after 10 minutes, so that may not be enough to even make a dent. You can remote start the engine for a second time and get another 10 minutes, but after that it won't allow remote starting anymore until the engine is started the normal way at least once.
The following users liked this post:
rey_winslow (09-24-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 07:40 PM
Veteran: Army

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts
W214 E450
In addition to what has been said, the set temp is specifically based on the profile. This means that the profile used in the Mercedes Me app is the profile used when you remote start in the car. The temp used last for that profile should be what is set when remote starting from the app. Since routines are also profile based, it may start the routines as well such as to turn on the seat heat or cooling. I have not tried that though so I'm not sure of that.

I'm not really liking the remote start myself. It turns off the car when you unlock it to get in. I guess it's okay to pre warm or cool the car but so far, I haven't needed to do that. Maybe more useful when winter comes. So far, the car doesn't get too hot even when parking in the sun.
Spdtrpl (09-23-2024)
Old 09-23-2024, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 602 Likes on 457 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by L1Wolf
It turns off the car when you unlock it to get in. .
Of course to prevent theft!
Old 09-23-2024, 09:53 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by JTK44
Of course to prevent theft!
If a thief has the keys to unlock the car, they can steal it regardless of it being started remotely or not. Absolutely zero reason the the car should turn off when I open the car to get in with key fob. If the car is opened somehow without a key fob present, yes, but not if you have the key fob. Poor design choice IMO. My 2007 Durango has remote start on the key and will not shut off if I unlock the car unless I do not put the key in the ignition within about 1 minute. In addition, it will not shift out of park until the key is in the ignition and turned on. There is not much I don't love about this new E-Class but the remote start implementation is one feature I am not a fan of.
Spdtrpl (09-24-2024)
Old 09-24-2024, 10:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

If a thief has the keys to unlock the car, they can steal it regardless of it being started remotely or not. Absolutely zero reason the the car should turn off when I open the car to get in with key fob. If the car is opened somehow without a key fob present, yes, but not if you have the key fob. Poor design choice IMO. My 2007 Durango has remote start on the key and will not shut off if I unlock the car unless I do not put the key in the ignition within about 1 minute. In addition, it will not shift out of park until the key is in the ignition and turned on. There is not much I don't love about this new E-Class but the remote start implementation is one feature I am not a fan of.
It is a very Mercedes thing, ie. From what I read, bmw keeps the engine on when you open the vehicle but you do need to press the ignition button to continue driving.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
350 E
In addition to agreeing with all the comments above, you can set a ROUTINE through your MBUX for Interior for cooling and heating besides the exterior. So when the car temperature is above 75 in car or whatever you select, when I start, car, it turns on the ventilating seats. If temperature is set for below 55 in car in winter, as I do, I have routine Interior that turns on heated seat and heated steering wheel. when I start the car. The screen indicates this when it turns on. Just be careful setting these options in the Routines under Settings.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to what has been said, the set temp is specifically based on the profile. This means that the profile used in the Mercedes Me app is the profile used when you remote start in the car. The temp used last for that profile should be what is set when remote starting from the app. Since routines are also profile based, it may start the routines as well such as to turn on the seat heat or cooling. I have not tried that though so I'm not sure of that.

I'm not really liking the remote start myself. It turns off the car when you unlock it to get in. I guess it's okay to pre warm or cool the car but so far, I haven't needed to do that. Maybe more useful when winter comes. So far, the car doesn't get too hot even when parking in the sun.
Hello L1Wolf,

Do you know which option code in the build sheet is responsible for the remote start? I don't have it in my Mercedes Me app; so I am not sure if it's a hardware requirement or only an activation on Mercedes Me app? or maybe if I change my region to USA it will appear in Mercedes Me.

Mohamed
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 822 Likes on 652 Posts
You can easily check remote start capabilities using you key fob.
  1. Make sure your car is locked and all doors are closed.
  2. Press the lock button on your Mercedes key fob twice.
  3. Within three seconds, press and hold the start button until the car starts.
  4. After the car starts, you can release the button and the engine will continue to run for up to 10 minutes.
Remote start may not bee available depending on where you are located due to legal restrictions.
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ua549
  4. After the car starts, you can release the button and the engine will continue to run for up to 10 minutes.
Remote start may not bee available depending on where you are located due to legal restrictions.
Interesting, when did Mercedes allowed remote starting from the key fob? I thought it was always app only.
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by E200_Merc
Hello L1Wolf,

Do you know which option code in the build sheet is responsible for the remote start? I don't have it in my Mercedes Me app; so I am not sure if it's a hardware requirement or only an activation on Mercedes Me app? or maybe if I change my region to USA it will appear in Mercedes Me.

Mohamed
Looks like you are located in Denmark according to your profile. Remote start is not an option in Europe as it's illegal over there. Changing the region of your phone to USA won't magically make it appear. It's controlled at the VIN level.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by superswiss
Looks like you are located in Denmark according to your profile. Remote start is not an option in Europe as it's illegal over there. Changing the region of your phone to USA won't magically make it appear. It's controlled at the VIN level.
What he said ^^^
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

W214 E450
Remote start isn't an option you can add or remove. The necessary hardware is in all new E-Class cars and the ability to use it is pure software. Would be nice if it were on the key fob like most other cars. All car companies are moving to a subscription based model for a lot of features. Eventually it will cost a reoccurring fee just to have cruse control or air conditioning. I hope that day never comes but car manufacturers are looking at all sorts of ways to squeeze more money out of consumers. We have to pay for that remote start feature after the "free" first year. I likely won't keep it unless I find it useful. So far, it's not for me and I don't use it.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Remote start isn't an option you can add or remove. The necessary hardware is in all new E-Class cars and the ability to use it is pure software. Would be nice if it were on the key fob like most other cars. All car companies are moving to a subscription based model for a lot of features. Eventually it will cost a reoccurring fee just to have cruse control or air conditioning. I hope that day never comes but car manufacturers are looking at all sorts of ways to squeeze more money out of consumers. We have to pay for that remote start feature after the "free" first year. I likely won't keep it unless I find it useful. So far, it's not for me and I don't use it.
It's an all or nothing subscription in the USA after the complementary subscription. Currently it's $150/year and you get all the services. Used to be a-la-carte for 1 year and I didn't renew Remote Start as I'm not really using it, but now I have it again as it's included in the subscription with everything else. If I remember correctly, when it was a-la-carte, Remote Start was $35/year. The complete subscription is actually cheaper now than what I paid to renew a-la-carte even w/o Remote Start.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by ua549
There is no "start" button on the key fob a.k.a. smartkey for the 2024+ models. It has a lock, unlock, trunk, and panic button. I've tried the combo above using each button as a replacement for the non-existent start button but none work. If you hold down the unlock button it will open the sun shade (and rear shade if equipped) and then open the windows and sunroof. Holding down the lock button will close them and holding down the trunk button will open/close the trunk. Panic button turns on the alarm. I wish it could do this as I might use remote start more but it's a pain in the rear to open the app to remote start unless you are doing it from a restaurant or other place like that and you want to have it warm up or cool off before you leave.

Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

W214 E450
Originally Posted by superswiss
It's an all or nothing subscription in the USA after the complementary subscription. Currently it's $150/year and you get all the services. Used to be a-la-carte for 1 year and I didn't renew Remote Start as I'm not really using it, but now I have it again as it's included in the subscription with everything else. If I remember correctly, when it was a-la-carte, Remote Start was $35/year. The complete subscription is actually cheaper now than what I paid to renew a-la-carte even w/o Remote Start.
That's a bummer. I'll probably renew but I have almost a year to decide.