EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Weird speaker problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 450+
Weird speaker problem

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

I have had my EQS 580 for a few weeks now, prior to that I had a EQS 450+ for a year - which never had this issue. The issue is that at least once per drive, the speakers will cut out, then only the front driver side comes back for a second, then all the speakers will return, sometimes at max volume, before everything returns to normal.

I am going to try to set up a GoPro to record this, because I know it won't happen for service if I were to bring it in, while it will happen for me any time I drive for at least 30 minutes. I am most worried about it blowing a speaker.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
What is the music source. If it is Apple Carplay then its not the speakers cutting out, its Apple Carplay cutting out.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:45 AM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
EQS 450+
It has happened with audio books on CarPlay and while listening to SiriusXM.

I have tried things like putting all of the sound processing settings back to their defaults, too. Nothing has made a difference so far.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:37 AM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
I have almost the same issue. Happens on Sirius XM and Radio which is what I use the most. Almost sounds like rear speakers or base cuts out for a few seconds and comes back

Last edited by abhansali; 03-17-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by abhansali
I have almost the same issue. Happens on Sirius XM and Radio which is what I use the most. Almost sounds like rear speakers or base cuts out for a few seconds and comes back
Sounds like a streaming hiccup to me. If it doesn't happen when playing physical media (Hard drive) that would be my guess. Thats why I dont use any music streaming at all. Since I live in an area with mediocre cell data services its a waste for me.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Sounds like a streaming hiccup to me. If it doesn't happen when playing physical media (Hard drive) that would be my guess. Thats why I dont use any music streaming at all. Since I live in an area with mediocre cell data services its a waste for me.
This happens to me with harddrive media as well. I've also tried turning off all engine sounds (in case the audio processing/mixing might have been an issue).
Old 04-16-2023, 12:05 PM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
I will not have the pleasure of a Mercedes experience until October. But, I will throw this wild idea out there in case it might be of use.
On my Volvo S60, when the radio or CD is playing, the navigation system will reduce the music speaker volume on the front driver's side speakers while it is making an announcement (like "prepare to turn left in 300 meters onto High Street"). After the announcement is over, the speaker volume will return to normal.
Could it possibly be that your navigation system is causing this, but you're not aware of it because you may have the navigation audio turned down/muted?
A long shot, I know...
Old 04-16-2023, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by SirNH
It has happened with audio books on CarPlay and while listening to SiriusXM.

I have tried things like putting all of the sound processing settings back to their defaults, too. Nothing has made a difference so far.
I have always had this problem. It happened in my 450 and it also now happens in my 580. I have always only listened to music streaming from my phone and I have always blamed wireless Apple Carplay when it happened, However due to your reply I started listening to SiriusXM and it also happens with that music source.
So its obviously the car that is doing this. I didn't test any other music source when I had my 450 but if I was to assume that it was also the car and not the source then this has to be a problem that plagues a large number of EQS... if not all.
It doesn't happen often but it does happen and its extremely noticeable.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
EQE SUV 500 4Matic
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I have always had this problem. It happened in my 450 and it also now happens in my 580. I have always only listened to music streaming from my phone and I have always blamed wireless Apple Carplay when it happened, However due to your reply I started listening to SiriusXM and it also happens with that music source.
So its obviously the car that is doing this. I didn't test any other music source when I had my 450 but if I was to assume that it was also the car and not the source then this has to be a problem that plagues a large number of EQS... if not all.
It doesn't happen often but it does happen and its extremely noticeable.
Truly astounding that people continue to throw $$$$$$$$ at MB for "well-built" luxury cars and have to put up with !""#¤%¤# like this. I can understand and accept bugs & bug-fixes during these times of rapidly-moving technology - but this issue has apparently gone on for at least a couple of years! End of rant.
(Edit - and I am "one of those people". Just keeping my fingers crossed!)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:08 PM

Received 467 Likes on 293 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
[QUOTE=Tjdehya;8760680this has to be a problem that plagues a large number of EQS... if not all.
It doesn't happen often but it does happen and its extremely noticeable.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely not all, mine has never done this. I listen mostly to SiriusXM, but also to Pandora through my phone. Just sayin.....
Old 04-16-2023, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts
2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
It's definitely not all, mine has never done this. I listen mostly to SiriusXM, but also to Pandora through my phone. Just sayin.....
This has never happened to me as well.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450+
This is definitely a bug. Happens to me on all sources and noticed that it only happens when approaching an intersection or coming to a stop. I originally thought it was related to the traffic light camera viewer and turned that off. That didn't resolve. Maybe related to the speed adjusted volume?? Very frustrating.

Maybe we can find out what SW version is on the ones not affected vs ones with the issue. I'll look mine up later today.

Last edited by walker29; 04-17-2023 at 10:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by walker29:
ScottC2 (04-17-2023), Tjdehya (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by walker29
This is definitely a bug. Happens to me on all sources and noticed that it only happens when approaching an intersection or coming to a stop. I originally thought it was related to the traffic light camera viewer and turned that off. That didn't resolve. Maybe related to the speed adjusted volume?? Very frustrating.

Maybe we can find out what SW version is on the ones not affected vs ones with the issue. I'll look mine up later today.
Good observation. It happened to me on my way to work and it did in fact happen as I came to a stop at a traffic light. I was the 3rd car in line and I can’t remember if traffic light view activated or not.
Old 04-18-2023, 02:44 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Good observation. It happened to me on my way to work and it did in fact happen as I came to a stop at a traffic light. I was the 3rd car in line and I can’t remember if traffic light view activated or not.
Interesting. I don't have the traffic light system, so that might be why it has never happened to me?
Old 04-18-2023, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by hlothery
Interesting. I don't have the traffic light system, so that might be why it has never happened to me?
I have it and dont like it at all. I turned it off. At night it was particularly distracting and the color was not correctly calibrated.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:20 PM

EQE 350
Originally Posted by SirNH
I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

I have had my EQS 580 for a few weeks now, prior to that I had a EQS 450+ for a year - which never had this issue. The issue is that at least once per drive, the speakers will cut out, then only the front driver side comes back for a second, then all the speakers will return, sometimes at max volume, before everything returns to normal.

I am going to try to set up a GoPro to record this, because I know it won't happen for service if I were to bring it in, while it will happen for me any time I drive for at least 30 minutes. I am most worried about it blowing a speaker.
I have the exact same problem with a 12/2022 EQE 350 with Burmester 3D - and I am "happy" to have found this thread indicating that I am not the only one.
At first I thought it had something to do with Sound Experience activated, but it occurs with or without it activated.
I have recently had the problem serviced and the software for the Burmester head unit was updated. The problem still persists afterwards.
Mercedes software support asks me to go back to the dealer to get it investigated further. I wonder they expect the dealer to investigate this problem as it is not easily reproduced at will.

Did anyone get this problem fixed? It is pretty annoying.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:18 PM

Received 160 Likes on 102 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Can you ask the tech at MB what is your audio's software head unit version? Unless we can find some commonality, it's like throwing darts in the dark. I used the USB all the time, and I have not experience the cut out or any sound issues. If you suspect streaming issue, do you have the sound issue at particular locations or vicinities, or is it random time and places?

Streaming music/sound requires the head unit to cache data properly. The cache allows for some play with streaming data rates in order for you to hear a consistent sound. It's possible that the software running the cache is faulty/buggy, or the hardware is buggy/faulty.
If you are able to play other sources like from a USB without any issue, then the cache component and the streaming/signal receiver are likely the issue. And if the only way to get it to work is to turn it all the way up to max and then reducing the volume, than you have a the whole audio head unit/amplifier issue.
Old 01-25-2024, 04:27 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
I’ve experienced a similar issue with the sound on Sirius becoming muffled and like it’s coming out of dash speakers for a second or two and then a pop and sound goes back to normal volume. Not sure cause. It’s very random, thought it might be a reception issue??
Old 01-26-2024, 01:15 AM

Received 160 Likes on 102 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by Radman991
I’ve experienced a similar issue with the sound on Sirius becoming muffled and like it’s coming out of dash speakers for a second or two and then a pop and sound goes back to normal volume. Not sure cause. It’s very random, thought it might be a reception issue??
I believe Sirius is still Satellite radio. Signals may be digital, but the rates can be inconsistent resulting in poor quality at different time of the day and different location. Sirius keeps spamming me to try their service, but since 2005, I never found Sirius to have any real value for me.
Old 01-26-2024, 09:09 AM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Originally Posted by MB37
I believe Sirius is still Satellite radio. Signals may be digital, but the rates can be inconsistent resulting in poor quality at different time of the day and different location. Sirius keeps spamming me to try their service, but since 2005, I never found Sirius to have any real value for me.
I was fortunate to be able to get lifetime Sirius subscriptions for both my cars in the early days of satellite radio. I think I got one subscription for $275 and the other for $350. That was over 10 years ago. They no longer offer lifetime subscription. Initially they tried to limit you to three transfers per subscription, but they lost a lawsuit and now it’s unlimited transfers for me each time I buy a new car. They do hit me up for a $70 “service charge” each time I switch it over.
Old 01-26-2024, 02:19 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Originally Posted by MB37
Interesting. I can't live without it. Just love it. Different strokes. And, BTW, I have never noticed any diminished quality at different times of the day. It is always great for me. YMMV.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:56 PM

580EQS
Originally Posted by ScottC2
I will not have the pleasure of a Mercedes experience until October. But, I will throw this wild idea out there in case it might be of use.
On my Volvo S60, when the radio or CD is playing, the navigation system will reduce the music speaker volume on the front driver's side speakers while it is making an announcement (like "prepare to turn left in 300 meters onto High Street"). After the announcement is over, the speaker volume will return to normal.
Could it possibly be that your navigation system is causing this, but you're not aware of it because you may have the navigation audio turned down/muted?
A long shot, I know...
...not at all relevant or helpful
Old 05-17-2024, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by c4004matic
I have it and dont like it at all. I turned it off. At night it was particularly distracting and the color was not correctly calibrated.
Same here.