European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Buy from one dealer, delivery at another?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy from one dealer, delivery at another?

Hi, for those of you that have ordered from one dealer who offered a better deal, and then had your car delivered at your local dealer, did this cause any significant problems?

Is there any paperwork, such as title and registration, that the local dealership has to do, or is the prep work handled by the Service department?
Old 01-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dealers sell off of each others inventory all the time--you just ran into a lazy one that won't have the car delivered to his dealership!!
Old 02-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
You're right, I just checked with a dealer in my area who assured me that there would be no problem if I ordered a new car from another dealer through EDP, and had it delivered to them.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
The Dealer Guide explains that the Buying Dealer receives a 10% commission on the MSRP, including list price of options for EDP cars.

It is the responsibility of the Buying Dealer to contact the Local Dealer to arrange local delivery. It is expected that the Buying Dealer will share some of the commission with the local dealer (2% is assumed if I remember correctly). But the Buying Dealer can negotiate with the local dealer for exact compensation. The US EDP program management will make the commission payments to the two dealerships.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
I went through this - ordered from Herbert Haemmer from Escondido Mercedes in CA(I can't recommend him enough). He arranged for the delivery to be made to a dealer in my area (NY). He is taking care of all the paperwork (except for DMV) and there is no delay
Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered 2018 GLC300
For those in Hawaii, we only have one dealership on the island of Oahu. Unfortunately, MB Honolulu won't accept a courtesy delivery from other dealers. The price of paradise.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by its.ca
For those in Hawaii, we only have one dealership on the island of Oahu. Unfortunately, MB Honolulu won't accept a courtesy delivery from other dealers. The price of paradise.
Have you talked with Herbert Haemmer? He will contact your local dealer to see if they will handle a local EDP delivery. The processes is set up where the selling EDP dealer (e.g. Herbert Haemmer) negotiations delivery with the local dealership. The local dealership may be more responsive to Herbert.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:41 AM

Ordered 2018 GLC300
Yep-- connected with Herbert since I'm doing ED but no luck.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
Herbert arranged for a dealership in my area to accept the car (wasn't the closest dealer to me)

However, I had to go to the DMV and do the registration myself...it was a big pain in the ***, partially because of incompetence of NYS DMV. All the cars I've ever got were registered by the dealer, so this was a new experience to me.

With that said, getting ED through a local dealer was not an option, as they are pretty clueless how to do it. Herbert made his part of the transaction as smooth as butter and he gave some tips about traveling in Germany.

Can't recommend him enough, he is an awesome dude
The following users liked this post:
eurmail (08-18-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Lexus GS 350
I've read most of the threads in this EDP forum and I've seen several people describe buying out of state with final delivery to their nearby dealership. Trying to get some kind of official MB statement, I called MBUSA's 800 number and also sent a note using their website email tool. Both responses, each from different people, were that the selling dealer receives the car from the vehicle prep center. The "official" position contradicts the experience several buyers in this forum have had.

At this point, I'd like to talk to several dealerships nationwide and see what they say on the subject. I've read how much people like Herbert in CA, but I'd like more recommendations. Can anyone give me the name of the salesperson with whom they had a successful EDP deal?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:46 PM

Search the EDP Dealer's workbook at this link:

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Search for 'Courtesy Delivery", the slide will explain the process for having a car delivered to a dealer that is different than the selling dealership.

There is also a thread some where on this forum where several EDP dealer recommendations are listed. Try searching this forum for EDP recommendations.

Last edited by ted_jane; 08-19-2017 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eurmail (08-20-2017)