European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Typical Negotiated Discounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X3
Typical Negotiated Discounts

My wife and I will be in relocating to Europe for a year and so EDP makes a lot of sense compared to a long-term rental or similar and Mercedes appears to be one of the few brands that allows up to 12 months of 'Europe Visit' (BMW site states 5 months max)... My question is how negotiated dealer pricing/discounts stacks on top of the EDP discounts.... We recently test drove both the GLA 250 and 45 AMG, the sales rep stated he doesn't like back and forth negotiating bs so offered upfront $4k off the GLA 250 and $5k off 45 AMG (close to 10%). Will he care if we go back to him and ask for the added 7%-5% on the EDP or does it not impact his side at all?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 GL450, 2014 E350 Sedan, 2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2008 R350, 2023 E450:AWD
I have read on some of the other threads about the pricing of the EDP vehicles that some dealers give the MB 7% plus some of their commission. I have called a few dealers and have not had any luck with and additional percentage. I am still calling dealers to see if I can get a better deal out of somebody......
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
For ED AMG discount is only 5%; its 7% on other models. These discounts are on the final MSRP including all those expensive options that really add up (ask me ...) so its a good deal compared to BMW who only discount base vehicle price not the options. Don't forget that the $950 delivery fee is also waived. As for negotiating beyond the fixed ED discount, its very variable what dealers will offer.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM

I have talked to 4 dealers so far. Two will not budge off the standard 7%, the other 2 said that they could. As soon as I learn a little more and decide what options I want on the car I will start to get serious with the ones that want to deal..... Thanks
Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c 300
Just beginning the shopping, have a C300 lease coming to end in 3 months. want buy another C maybe an E, I was expecting 10%, that's not possible?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by lipets
Just beginning the shopping, have a C300 lease coming to end in 3 months. want buy another C maybe an E, I was expecting 10%, that's not possible?
On the European Delivery Plan 10% would be the absolute minimum to consider. Especially if you figure in the $995 delivery fee that is waived.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
Check out this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...fraid-ask.html

Basically the dealer is paid 10% profit on the MSRP price of the car less the 7 or 5% EDP discount and $950 delivery charge. You can try to negotiation for any portion of the 10% you want. I got my dealer to split 50/50 for an almost 14% discount. But every market/time period/dealer is different so your millage is almost guaranteed to differ. Most dealers don't understand EDP or its pricing, read the guide at the above linked to thread, you will know more than many dealers afterwards. I had to educate my sales guy on why the deal I negotiated was good for him and the dealership.

You can also take the easy route, search the forum for Herbert Haemmer. He is an EDP sales guy in California (don't let the location scare you). Last I knew he was offering an additional 3.5% off EDP sales. You can buy EDP cars from almost any dealer in the US, except maybe Hawaii and Alaska. If the sales guy knows what he is doing, he can negotiate a local delivery to a dealer near you, after your EDP trip. Just shoot Herbert an email, he will explain it all to you.

Last edited by ted_jane; 10-19-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info....actually I was in contact with Herbert 4 days ago. He sent me his ordering guide. We will “build” our car this weekend and send the specs to him next week. I am also talking with a couple of dealers near us that will come off their commission. Hopefully between the three I can get the 4-5% extra that I am hoping for..... another question..... when negotiating the final price do the dealers add their “dealer prep charges” at the end? I hate to do all this negotiating to have them add $500-$600 back on....
Old 10-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kudzubob
another question..... when negotiating the final price do the dealers add their “dealer prep charges” at the end? I hate to do all this negotiating to have them add $500-$600 back on....
I have never paid dealer prep. A few tried to tack on the additional dealer profit, but I refused. As part of the deal I negotiated, the sales guy asked if I wanted any special treatment that many MB customers expect. I told them no, I just want the car and I hate the hand holding some customers expect. They seemed to like that answer.

On a related note, some dealers don't like EDP because it is a lot of paper work on their part and the EDP process can be stressful for customers because sometimes dates change and available options change.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by ted_jane
Check out this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/european-...fraid-ask.html

Basically the dealer is paid 10% profit on the MSRP price of the car less the 7 or 5% EDP discount and $950 delivery charge. You can try to negotiation for any portion of the 10% you want. I got my dealer to split 50/50 for an almost 14% discount. But every market/time period/dealer is different so your millage is almost guaranteed to differ. Most dealers don't understand EDP or its pricing, read the guide at the above linked to thread, you will know more than many dealers afterwards. I had to educate my sales guy on why the deal I negotiated was good for him and the dealership.

You can also take the easy route, search the forum for Herbert Haemmer. He is an EDP sales guy in California (don't let the location scare you). Last I knew he was offering an additional 3.5% off EDP sales. You can buy EDP cars from almost any dealer in the US, except maybe Hawaii and Alaska. If the sales guy knows what he is doing, he can negotiate a local delivery to a dealer near you, after your EDP trip. Just shoot Herbert an email, he will explain it all to you.
Not such an easy route with Mr. Haemmer in my experience. I contacted him in June and he basically told me to go pound salt that he would not give me anything past the AMG 5% discount on an S63. Honestly he came across as a bit cocky in that S63s are a special car and he would not offer any discounts. I found that e-mail response to be odd and cocky to the point of he did not want my business. Thankfully there were plenty of other dealers (including my local dealer) that worked with me. My ‘19 S63 Euro Delivery should be going into production shortly. I have set up a Center of Excellence Delivery with a one on one tour of the S Class facilities (including the hand build AMG GT facility) and a AMG factory tour in Affalterbach. So there are other dealers out there but you just have to do your homework. I wonder if Mr. Haemmer did not really want to work with me on the discount beyond the typical 5% AMG discount since he changed Mercedes Benz dealers close to the time he sent me that e-mail?? Do not know but he certainly did not want to work with me on any discount past the Euro Delivery discount in June. In all fairness to Mr. Haemmer, I swapped e-mails with him a few years ago and he certainly was willing at that time to work on discounts for me but not this year.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by MTrauman

Not such an easy route with Mr. Haemmer in my experience. I contacted him in June and he basically told me to go pound salt that he would not give me anything past the AMG 5% discount on an S63. Honestly he came across as a bit cocky in that S63s are a special car and he would not offer any discounts. I found that e-mail response to be odd and cocky to the point of he did not want my business. Thankfully there were plenty of other dealers (including my local dealer) that worked with me. My ‘19 S63 Euro Delivery should be going into production shortly. I have set up a Center of Excellence Delivery with a one on one tour of the S Class facilities (including the hand build AMG GT facility) and a AMG factory tour in Affalterbach. So there are other dealers out there but you just have to do your homework. I wonder if Mr. Haemmer did not really want to work with me on the discount beyond the typical 5% AMG discount since he changed Mercedes Benz dealers close to the time he sent me that e-mail?? Do not know but he certainly did not want to work with me on any discount past the Euro Delivery discount in June. In all fairness to Mr. Haemmer, I swapped e-mails with him a few years ago and he certainly was willing at that time to work on discounts for me but not this year.
Thanks, good to know your experience. I have never worked with Mr Haemmer, but have seen many positive reviews on this board. It's great that you were able to negotiate a deal locally.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350 wagon
Thanks to all who are contributing to this topic, great information. It has been many years since I did European delivery, but I have decided do my next E class wagon via the EDP,. I am very familiar with the process so do not need a lot of hand holding, just a knowledgeable dealer rep.
If anyone can recommend a NYC metropolitan area ( NY/NJ/ CT) dealer who is EDP receptive, I would be grateful.
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM

I have 3 dealers that are the same on price. I contacted Mr. Haemmer and after 3 tries I did get him to an additional 3% for a total of 10%. The first try he was less than 1%, then about 2%, then finally the 3% which he usually only gives repeat customers but seems like everyone I have read about got it. I have found two dealers in the Atlanta area that are offering the same percentage (7% plus 3%). Since I am in the Atlanta area I will be choosing one of the two locals. I would much rather choose a local dealer especially since the discount is the same. It will come down to which dealer has the best knowledge of the EDP program. One has the taken European deliveries three times for personal cars and has lots of experience selling the program to others.
I will report back when I order the car.........
Old 11-17-2018, 06:00 AM

We ordered our 2019 E450 Cabriolet yesterday. We found a local dealer that beat California’s Mr. Haemmer’s pricing. We HIGHLY recommend Jesse Cannon Wallace at Atlanta Classic Cars. We would MUCH rather deal with someone local face to face rather via phone and email to someone we will never see. She has taken several European Deliveries herself and has vast knowledge of the program. We are taking a Spring pick up date.. Now for the trip planning......

2019 E450 Cabriolet 4matic
Rubellite Red/Red Top
Designo Beige/Red interior
Light Zen Wood
PO1 Premium Package
AMG Appearance Package
Parking Assist Package
Drivers Assist Package
12.3:inch Digital Imstrument Cluster
Multi-Contour Fromt Seats with massage
Heated and Ventalated Front Seats
Exterior Lighting Package
Illuminated Door Sills
Chrome Door Handle Inserts
We did opt for the 18” AMG non staggered Wheels with All Season Tires....just a preference of ours

Last edited by Kudzubob; 11-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Would have chimed in earlier but I rarely visit ...

I took delivery on a 2018 C63s coup (AMG) in May, after placing the order with Mr Haemmer in early January. It took us all of 3 e-mails and 2 TC's to "do the deal," with me sending a credit card authorization for the deposit in the 3rd e-mail. It was that easy! It was clear that I had done my research and he gave me the factory discount as well as a substantial amount of dealer discount without my having to haggle. He never struck me as being arrogant, just good at what he does (which includes ~80 EDP's a year w/ end delivery all over the U.S.).

I strongly recommend using him, regardless of where you are in the U.S. I live 100 miles from his dealership so I did not need to "order thru him and take delivery elsewhere" but MBZ apparently has set the commission splt so this is very easy to do. Herbert can handle the order and all of the the Euro end and the other dealership "sees" the car just like another ordered car that comes thru one of the U.S. Vehicle Preparation Centers (VPCs).
Old 01-26-2019, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by rroberts
Would have chimed in earlier but I rarely visit ...

I took delivery on a 2018 C63s coup (AMG) in May, after placing the order with Mr Haemmer in early January. It took us all of 3 e-mails and 2 TC's to "do the deal," with me sending a credit card authorization for the deposit in the 3rd e-mail. It was that easy! It was clear that I had done my research and he gave me the factory discount as well as a substantial amount of dealer discount without my having to haggle. He never struck me as being arrogant, just good at what he does (which includes ~80 EDP's a year w/ end delivery all over the U.S.).

I strongly recommend using him, regardless of where you are in the U.S. I live 100 miles from his dealership so I did not need to "order thru him and take delivery elsewhere" but MBZ apparently has set the commission splt so this is very easy to do. Herbert can handle the order and all of the the Euro end and the other dealership "sees" the car just like another ordered car that comes thru one of the U.S. Vehicle Preparation Centers (VPCs).
According to the Dealer Guide the Selling Dealer (Mr Haemmer in your case) negotiates a % of their commission with the Delivery Dealer, the Guide recommends 2%. By going through Mr Haemmer directly, he has the whole 10% commission to work with.

Note, I have read on other threads that some dealers refuse to accept local delivery if they did not sell the EDP car. Specifically I have read the dealer in Hawaii will not work with any other deals for EDP.