Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

MB Extended Limited Warranty Basics Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 161 Likes on 103 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by CA_GLC
Does the MB extended warranty have a deductible for each repair job or just one-time charge?
No deductible.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 E550, 2014 GLK 350
What are these Zurich & Easy Care options? Can someone shed some light on them and has anyone used them? I just extended my warranty by 2 years and have 1.5 years left on my CPO warranty before they kick in, so I have some time and am thinking I may want to investigate these other ones.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
Last week I got a call from a company called redauto protection and they were offering me quotes over the phone right away. Don't know how they got my number but initially I thought they were calling from Mercedes Benz as they were busy talking about how nicely I have maintained my car and what not. While they were saying that their warranty is different as they would mention only parts that are not covered such as wear an tear items and would cover everything else which apparently was superior to other (inclusive warranties).
My red flag was up the minute they said that I have to either accept or decline the offer at the end of the call and there is no way I can call them again to get the same deal . Needless to say I ended the phone call before he was finished talking and told him not to contact me again . Just wondering if anyone has used this company called "red auto protection"?
Old 10-04-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
I actually had a question about a cpo car purchase and warranties. A car that is bought cpo from dealership still under factory warranty, with one year cpo warranty after that, plus 2 years extended cpo warranty on top of that, is that eligible for for the Extended limited warranty? Is there a coverage difference between elw and cpo? I wanted to extend the factory warranty when I bought the car which I guess is the elw, but I was told by dealer once a car is cpo it can only have cpo warranty. Is this true? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Lexus GX460
Originally Posted by Hippocrateez
I actually had a question about a cpo car purchase and warranties. A car that is bought cpo from dealership still under factory warranty, with one year cpo warranty after that, plus 2 years extended cpo warranty on top of that, is that eligible for for the Extended limited warranty? Is there a coverage difference between elw and cpo? I wanted to extend the factory warranty when I bought the car which I guess is the elw, but I was told by dealer once a car is cpo it can only have cpo warranty. Is this true? Thanks in advance.
From what I have read, this is true. Once the vehicle goes CPO, it is only eligible for the CPO extended warranty, not ELW.

I am still looking for a comprehensive list of what makes the ELW a better warranty than the CPO, but I am coming up empty handed. I have read what the CPO warranty covers and it appears to be pretty extensive, but folks still say the ELW is a better choice. This could obviously play a role with what used vehicle we ultimately purchase. Currently looking at GL350s...
Old 10-08-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
Best deal on ELW

I just tried to email Jason Mays for an ELW quote but the email bounced. Does anyone have an updated email for Jason. Who else sells the ELW at a discounted price?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2016, 01:02 PM

C280
I am new to this forum. I work with Jeff Jackson as a fellow Finance Manager at Tafel Motors, and he is knowledgeable, fair, and fast.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
21 E63 Wagon
My car is under the original warranty until Sept 2017, then it goes onto the CPO warranty for another year.

If I want the ELW, do I have to buy that before the original factory warranty expires? Or before the CPO warranty expires?

Also, is there a link to a "fine print" booklet comparing and contrasting the CPO coverage versus ELW coverage? I don't want to be sold up the creek.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:11 PM

ML 350 4Matic
Mercedes ELW items covered

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I posted this in my car specific forum as well (W205). I bought my Extended Warranty on a new vehicle from one of the recommended dealers here, with good experience from him.

That said, i am stunned by how much is actually not covered. Basically anything in-cabin outside of climate controls and Command/Radio. Since the newer MBs are so full of electronics, I could see having a huge repair bill for a whole number of things not covered, such as instrument clusters, Distronic, rear/360 cameras, seats (heat, memory, power), e parking brake and shifter, etc.

I've had manufacturer backed warranties from GM and Infiniti in the past, and the MB coverage is way worse than those two. For the price paid, I'm thinking it isn't worth it, and might be looking for something aftermarket.

Anyone else have thoughts on what is/isn't covered?
I'm in the market for an ELW for my vehicle and have asked for quotes from several of the dealers here. My SUV is loaded with options and electronics (distronic plus, parktronic, premium 1, HK stereo, etc.) and was specifically going to buy the ELW to cover some of those items that could be very pricey should they fail. I was interested to read above that distronic plus isn't covered. I found a copy of the ELW agreement online and read it thoroughly. The agreement stated that all items on the vehicle were covered unless something was listed in the exclusions section of the agreement. None of the items I mention were specifically excluded. Here is the excerpt from the agreement...

"MBUSA warrants to you and any eligible subsequent Private Party Purchaser of a Mercedes-Benz Passenger Vehicle, which was originally distributed and sold through MBUSA, that any authorized Dealer will make repairs or replacements necessary at no charge to correct defects in material or workmanship on any vehicle parts and/or systems, unless specifically excluded in the EXCLUSIONS section of this Agreement..."

I won't quote the exclusions section since there are descriptions of each item and its lengthy but the categories are:

Damage caused by non approved fluids and parts
Damage caused by misuse and accidents
Damage caused by outside influences or accidents
Damage caused by modifications or alterations
Damage caused by improper body repairs
Altered odometer
Batteries
Tires
Glass
Paint and appearance items
Changes in design
Repairs at non-authorized dealers

Based on what I'm reading, it looks to me like its bumper to bumper with normal exclusions that one would expect.

Would welcome any comments.

Thanks,

Will
Old 01-29-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2015ML350W4
I'm in the market for an ELW for my vehicle and have asked for quotes from several of the dealers here. My SUV is loaded with options and electronics (distronic plus, parktronic, premium 1, HK stereo, etc.) and was specifically going to buy the ELW to cover some of those items that could be very pricey should they fail. I was interested to read above that distronic plus isn't covered. I found a copy of the ELW agreement online and read it thoroughly. The agreement stated that all items on the vehicle were covered unless something was listed in the exclusions section of the agreement. None of the items I mention were specifically excluded. Here is the excerpt from the agreement...

"MBUSA warrants to you and any eligible subsequent Private Party Purchaser of a Mercedes-Benz Passenger Vehicle, which was originally distributed and sold through MBUSA, that any authorized Dealer will make repairs or replacements necessary at no charge to correct defects in material or workmanship on any vehicle parts and/or systems, unless specifically excluded in the EXCLUSIONS section of this Agreement..."

I won't quote the exclusions section since there are descriptions of each item and its lengthy but the categories are:

Damage caused by non approved fluids and parts
Damage caused by misuse and accidents
Damage caused by outside influences or accidents
Damage caused by modifications or alterations
Damage caused by improper body repairs
Altered odometer
Batteries
Tires
Glass
Paint and appearance items
Changes in design
Repairs at non-authorized dealers

Based on what I'm reading, it looks to me like its bumper to bumper with normal exclusions that one would expect.

Would welcome any comments.

Thanks,

Will

Hmmmm... I did a google search on some of the language you used above, and that warranty Does seem like what I would have expected. The one I received from a noted person reads exactly like the CPO warranty found here: http://extendedlimitedwarranty.merce...rage-documents

Although mine clearly states "new vehicle extended limited warranty" in a couple of places. I'm wondering if I have some "lesser" coverage, or that the new warranty has been updated to match the CPO warranty (anyone with a recent purchase care to look at theirs and let us know?)

Interestingly enough, I just realized mine also says "Valid only in California ONLY". Ackkk! I'm not in CA, although the dealer is. Hopefully that is something they can correct, or I'll need to cancel, and hopefully still be able to purchase the correct one.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2005 SL500, 2022 RX350, 2016 GLC300 4Matic(Sold), 2008 RX350 (sold), 2003 RX300(sold)
MB ELW Agreement

This should have all the answers regarding ELW limits.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB Extended Warranty Contract.pdf (47.6 KB, 1298 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by TheSpooky:
Anne Pickrell (08-21-2021), Boraxo (04-15-2019), FDNewbie (04-23-2018), pamiboy (11-27-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpooky
This should have all the answers regarding ELW limits.

Thanks for this. I did see that elsewhere on this forum. Any idea how old that was? Trying to figure out if that is still the current agreement, and I got hosed somehow, or if there was a corporate wide change somewhere along the way...
Old 01-29-2017, 11:12 PM

ML 350 4Matic
I had gotten my information from the Mercedes Benz of Austin website as well. The guy there is one of the dealers I emailed today for a quote.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
OK, So here's a question. Are we discussing 2 different things? If you buy a Mercedes new and get an ELW, do you get the same coverage as if you buy a CPO? Maybe the ELW coverage is actually "limited" after the 4/50 expires, whereas the CPO extends the bumper to bumper as an inducement to buy the vehicle. Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:54 AM

2005 SL500, 2022 RX350, 2016 GLC300 4Matic(Sold), 2008 RX350 (sold), 2003 RX300(sold)
Any idea how old that was? .
Information matches with what is currently published @ MB Austin
Old 01-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by pjw1967
OK, So here's a question. Are we discussing 2 different things? If you buy a Mercedes new and get an ELW, do you get the same coverage as if you buy a CPO? Maybe the ELW coverage is actually "limited" after the 4/50 expires, whereas the CPO extends the bumper to bumper as an inducement to buy the vehicle. Thoughts?
The document posted here, and the info on MB's website has:

1 - The New vehicle ELW is very close to bumper to bumper for the term if the contract.
2 - The CPO has a number of additional limitations.

HOWEVER, my actual experience with my ELW purchased 8 months ago, was that the new coverage did not match the document posted here or on MB Austin's site, but actually matched the CPO, less attractive coverage.

I'm trying to figure out if there was a global change to the new warranty to match the CPO and the documents on the web are a little dated, OR if somehow, I ended up with the wrong thing.

Information matches with what is currently published @ MB Austin
Yes, I saw that. Still don't know if that is up-to-date either. Would be nice if someone who actually purchased won in the last 6 months would chime in to see if theirs is like the attached, or more like the CPO one. I have a message out to the dealership I got mine from, hopefully I'll get a response.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:50 PM

The document posted here, and the info on MB's website has:

1 - The New vehicle ELW is very close to bumper to bumper for the term if the contract.
2 - The CPO has a number of additional limitations.

HOWEVER, my actual experience with my ELW purchased 8 months ago, was that the new coverage did not match the document posted here or on MB Austin's site, but actually matched the CPO, less attractive coverage.

I'm trying to figure out if there was a global change to the new warranty to match the CPO and the documents on the web are a little dated, OR if somehow, I ended up with the wrong thing.

Yes, I saw that. Still don't know if that is up-to-date either. Would be nice if someone who actually purchased won in the last 6 months would chime in to see if theirs is like the attached, or more like the CPO one. I have a message out to the dealership I got mine from, hopefully I'll get a response.
Could you share copy of your ELW document, so that we have means of comparing it. Otherwise all these are shots in the air. What we see at a dealer sit or in print form, you are discounting. We like to know why?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Could you share copy of your ELW document, so that we have means of comparing it. Otherwise all these are shots in the air. What we see at a dealer sit or in print form, you are discounting. We like to know why?
Sure, mine is attached (name, address, vin and price removed).
Like I said, looks just like the CPO one on the MB of Austin site, but says "new" and is the main reason why I posted my disappoint in the warranty, although I would not be disappointed with the new one posted above.

I'll give the dealer a day to respond, if not, I'll see if I can get him on the phone, which wasn't easy the first time. Temp MB Contract.pdf
Old 01-30-2017, 03:17 PM

Sure, mine is attached (name, address, vin and price removed).
Like I said, looks just like the CPO one on the MB of Austin site, but says "new" and is the main reason why I posted my disappoint in the warranty, although I would not be disappointed with the new one posted above.

I'll give the dealer a day to respond, if not, I'll see if I can get him on the phone, which wasn't easy the first time. Attachment 347994
I don't see it any different than ELW I posted. Could you point out the difference between the two. As to CPO vs ELW;interior trim like components (mostly soft items) are not covered by ELW while these are in CPO as CPO is an extension of new car guarantee. Another reason for the differences if any, may be ELW issued in California is different vs in other 47 states.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:51 PM

I don't see it any different than ELW I posted. Could you point out the difference between the two. As to CPO vs ELW;interior trim like components (mostly soft items) are not covered by ELW while these are in CPO as CPO is an extension of new car guarantee. Another reason for the differences if any, may be ELW issued in California is different vs in other 47 states.
Look at the middle of the first page (labeled Page 2) in what you posted. It says "....any vehicle parts and/or systems unless specifically excluded..." and the document contains a handful or reasonable exclusions.

The one I posted, is not everything but exclusions, it is a list of things that are included shown on page 3 of the document. If you look through the list of things included, you'll notice a decent amount of things not in that list. The coverage is much less. As I posted when I purchased it, it seems to be missing basically anything in-cabin outside of climate controls and Command/Radio. Which means things not included are things like: instrument clusters, Distronic, rear/360 cameras, seats (heat, memory, power), e parking brake and shifter, etc.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 PM

ML 350 4Matic
Since I notice your contract came from W. I. Simonson... I spoke with Marc Rose at Simonson this afternoon. Had to make several phone calls before finally reaching him. I will say I wasn't all that pleased with his service. He was very pushy and wouldn't give me a quote for the warranty unless I "had my credit card in my hand and would purchase it from him as soon as he gave me a price." Said he didn't want to waste his time giving me a quote if I wasn't going to buy from him. He wanted to know what others had quoted me and at first I didn't tell him. Finally, after more prodding I finally told him the amount of the lowest quote I had received so far. He said he couldn't believe someone quoted that low, said it was below dealer cost. Told him I had it in writing. He stated he had to charge the 15% surcharge since I didn't buy within 30 days. Two other dealers did not add the surcharge.

He was very fast talking and tried to sell me additional services I didn't want, including a prepaid maintenance plan and a even a LoJack system for my vehicle. Sounded like a typical sales pitch one gets when sitting in the finance manager's office when buying a new car.

Marc never gave me an official price. I thanked him and hung up. I know he's been highly recommended on this forum so I was quite surprised. I really wanted to give him an opportunity to earn my business. Maybe he was just having a bad day and I caught him at a bad time, but I'll be shopping elsewhere this time.

I'll add one final comment regarding most finance managers in general. They always add their sales pitches after you've already "sealed the deal" on the vehicle itself and try to get you to buy the over-priced add ons, paint protection, interior protectant, tire and wheel packages, etc., etc., etc. I found a way to avoid that. Pay cash! I've been fortunate enough to do that for the last few vehicles I've purchased and when you get in their office and tell them you're writing a check, it changes their entire demeanor. They don't waste their breath. Suddenly they realize that they're not going to make any more money off you. Then we have time to research and find better deals for the services we really want.

This is a great forum by the way. I've been a member at benzworld for a while but just recently joined this one. I'm thinking I like it better!
The following users liked this post:
MaMaChup (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 AM

2010 E350-totaled 8-5-15
You, as a salesman" are so smart to be on this site to be in the know. Iam looking at purchasing my 3rd MB CPO and the salesmen I've dealt with have never heard about this site! And so I KNOW when I am being bull****ted!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
W205 C400
So has anyone figured out why WI Simonson is selling a watered down ELW warranty?
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by rakaye47
So has anyone figured out why WI Simonson is selling a watered down ELW warranty?
We've yet to see anyone post a recent warranty document from anywhere else to know if this was a global MB change or not. I asked Marc about it, and he said he has 0 control of the actual warranty language, he enters in the information and it prints out the details, so that's what it must be. Someone somewhere has purchased a warranty in the last 10 months since i got mine, but we haven't seen any of them.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM

ML 350 4Matic
Current ELW Document

Attached is a scanned copy of my ELW purchased on 1/31/17 from Jeff Jackson at Tafel Motors in Louisville. It's "bumper-to-bumper" except for items that I'd consider to be normal exclusions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MB ELW White Out.pdf (3.19 MB, 527 views)

Last edited by 2015ML350W4; 04-06-2017 at 09:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2015ML350W4:
pamiboy (11-27-2017), z28lt1 (04-07-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MB Extended Limited Warranty Basics Thread