Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

MB Extended Limited Warranty Basics Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by cfmistry
There have been lots of question in the W204 section regarding the MB ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) and I wanted to clarify several points.

- The MB ELW can be purchased from any MB dealership nationwide, as long as the car is still within the new car warranty (4 years from original purchase date, or less than 50,000 miles, whichever comes first).

- The authentic MB ELW has no deductible and is accepted at all MB dealerships nationwide regardless of where it is purchased.

- Only the MB ELW guarantees the use of authentic MB parts on your vehicle.

- Though the MB ELW has excellent coverage, it does not cover everything in the MB New Car warranty. Additionally, some aftermarket warranties can offer even greater coverage.

- All models of a certain range (C-class, E-class, S-class) have the same warranty pricing except AMG and diesel models. For example, the pricing is the same on a pre-owned E350 or E550, and regardless of options.

- The MB ELW is offered as an additional 1, 2 or 3 year beyond the factory warranty with coverage up to 75k or 100k miles (whichever comes first years/mileage). It is best to pick the warranty that will covers your needs; you can pick any combination of years/mileage.

- Pricing: Despite what your local dealerships may tell you, the pricing of the warranties is negotiable. There is even a 15% "service charge" that can be waived with negotiation.

- The following are a group of individuals at MB dealerships nationwide who offer very competitive pricing: (in no particular order)

1. Jason Mayes, International Autos, (414) 727-6722, jmayes@iamilwaukee.com
2. Erin Mahre, Mercedes-Benz of Santa Rosa, (707) 521-3996
3. Jeff Jackson, Tafel Motors, (502) 894-6829
4. Dan Boone, Mercedes-Benz of Austin, (512) 220-0940

I recommend you call all of them as well as your local dealership for competitive quotes. Make sure you are getting a final price OTD (including any "service changes").

- The above individuals will need your car's VIN, exact mileage, desired warranty information; they are happy to sell you the warranty over the phone.

Happy motoring!
Cassandra Castro has replaced Jason Mayes at International Autos
ccastro@iamilwaukee.com
(866) 455-8708 ext. 115
Old 01-20-2018, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Talked to Jeff Jackson today. Very nice guy. Looks like he has the lowest prices.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Really dumb question here....

A lot of you are getting your extended warranties at places far from where you live.

Does having the warranty allow you to then send your car to your local MB Dealership for repairs, or do you have to ship it to the locale where the dealership is located from where you purchased the warranty from?

(Like I said, real dumb question, but I don't know the answer -- Thus, figured to ask. Thanks!)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Bruin_Benz
Really dumb question here....

A lot of you are getting your extended warranties at places far from where you live.

Does having the warranty allow you to then send your car to your local MB Dealership for repairs, or do you have to ship it to the locale where the dealership is located from where you purchased the warranty from?

(Like I said, real dumb question, but I don't know the answer -- Thus, figured to ask. Thanks!)
You can take it to the repair facility of your choice.
The following users liked this post:
Bruin_Benz (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
I am in the process of buying a new AMG and in speaking with the finance manager, it appears the AMG tier is a fixed price. How is it that these other dealers can offer an ELW cheaper than the standard pricing? Is it the 15 percent surcharged referenced? It didn’t seem like this was a negotiable item. I want to be fair but not taken advantage of. Any tips for having a fair and upfront discussion to arrive at an agreeable price? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 W212 E350 4M
From what I have read here AMG and Diesel ELWs are more expensive tiers. The fixed price is negotiable with some F & I managers.
Let me know if you found a Chicago area dealer with a good price.
NewYorker555 (12-01-2019)
Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
GLC, EQE SUV
I leased a 2015 ML350 in May 2015, it has 17000 miles, I want to purchase it next month, will it still qualify ELW after I purchase it?
thanks
Old 04-23-2018, 06:10 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
AMG pricing is indeed fixed. ​
- 2 year/75,000 mile option (additional 2 years and up to 75,000 miles total) MSRPs for $5,700
- 3 year/100,000 mile option (again additional 3 years and up to 100,000 miles total) MSRPs at $7,100

My guy is Jamie Ruis, Finance Manager at Mercedes-Benz of Elmbrook/Porsche Waukesha. (262)821-5000 ext. 331. jruis@mbofelmbrook.com. He will sell under MSRP, and being that he's in WI, no sales tax or 15% surcharge that other dealers often charge. Give him a ring for a quote.
Nationalleaguer (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:51 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
'18 Black GLC63S
Thanks for the info and referral. Talked to Jaime. He’s honest and upfront. If someone is looking for a warranty, I’d recommend you reach out to him and talk through your facts.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nationalleaguer
Thanks for the info and referral. Talked to Jaime. He’s honest and upfront. If someone is looking for a warranty, I’d recommend you reach out to him and talk through your facts.
NP, and I agree. He isn't push at all, and actually takes the time to answer your questions

Oh and he sent me the Extended Warranty Coverage; it essentially is a bumper wrap coverage except for wear & tear items - which you can get covered through preventative maintenance if you prepay for Prepaid Maintenance (you can prepay for a total of ten services, in packs of 3, after you go through the initial 4 pack.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by tonylop33
Another happy customer of Cassandra Castro (ccastro@iamilwaukee.com). Had the best price of the four I contacted. Fast communication bu email and on the phone. Answered all my questions and checked into a couple of unrated questions I had as well.
I have had no luck with her. No return of multiple emails or calls. Maybe she is too busy for new business.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C 300
Originally Posted by cfmistry
There have been lots of question in the W204 section regarding the MB ELW (Extended Limited Warranty) and I wanted to clarify several points.

- The MB ELW can be purchased from any MB dealership nationwide, as long as the car is still within the new car warranty (4 years from original purchase date, or less than 50,000 miles, whichever comes first).

- The authentic MB ELW has no deductible and is accepted at all MB dealerships nationwide regardless of where it is purchased.

- Only the MB ELW guarantees the use of authentic MB parts on your vehicle.

- Though the MB ELW has excellent coverage, it does not cover everything in the MB New Car warranty. Additionally, some aftermarket warranties can offer even greater coverage.

- All models of a certain range (C-class, E-class, S-class) have the same warranty pricing except AMG and diesel models. For example, the pricing is the same on a pre-owned E350 or E550, and regardless of options.

- The MB ELW is offered as an additional 1, 2 or 3 year beyond the factory warranty with coverage up to 75k or 100k miles (whichever comes first years/mileage). It is best to pick the warranty that will covers your needs; you can pick any combination of years/mileage.

- Pricing: Despite what your local dealerships may tell you, the pricing of the warranties is negotiable. There is even a 15% "service charge" that can be waived with negotiation.

- The following are a group of individuals at MB dealerships nationwide who offer very competitive pricing: (in no particular order)

1. Jason Mayes, International Autos, (414) 727-6722, jmayes@iamilwaukee.com
2. Erin Mahre, Mercedes-Benz of Santa Rosa, (707) 521-3996
3. Jeff Jackson, Tafel Motors, (502) 894-6829
4. Dan Boone, Mercedes-Benz of Austin, (512) 220-0940

I recommend you call all of them as well as your local dealership for competitive quotes. Make sure you are getting a final price OTD (including any "service changes").

- The above individuals will need your car's VIN, exact mileage, desired warranty information; they are happy to sell you the warranty over the phone.

Happy motoring!
First off, a huge thank you to the forum members for their insight and advise. Spending a hour reading the thread, can save many hours and $s.

A double thumbs up to Jeff Jackson of Tafel Motors. Just purchased the 3Y / 100K MB ELW for my 2015 C-300.
Reached out to all the dealers mentioned on this forum and Jeff was much more responsive and quoted the lowest price. He emailed a copy of the draft ELW contract for review and answered Qs on the phone.
Friendly, very knowledgeable and concluded on phone with minimal fuss.

For others benefit, pricing below for a 2015 C-300:
3Y/75K: 3Y/100K:
Jeff Jackson: $1600 $2600
Cassandra: $1750 $2750
Jamie Ruis: $2000 $3000 Make it sound like he was giving me a great deal!
Local MB dealer: $4,455 Platinum plan from Fidelity
Mark Ruis: ? ? IMO, was arrogant on the phone. Refused to quote and said I should only call him after doing all my research and when ready to buy.
Never a good idea to dictate to your customers how they should buy.

Endurance: $4,074 $4,320 Supreme policy, their highest coverage and exclusionary coverage. Deductible of $100 but policy starts 30 days / 1000M after purchase, which means it overlaps the factory coverage.

Other points on the MBUSA ELW:
1. No deductible. Sold and backed by MBUSA.
2. Starts only after the 4y/50K miles factory warranty ends, no overlap.
3. Warranty work can only be done at a MB dealer.
4. Can be cancelled for 100% refund before factory warranty ends. After that, prorated refund minus any claims paid.
5. Fully transferable to a new owner - private party only, not transferable if traded in or sold to a car dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sanjayna:
ravithej (10-02-2018), RLandis (06-21-2018)
Old 09-14-2019, 01:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Different Warranty Coverage from Different Dealers

First, thanks to all for sharing your ELW shopping information. Here is my recent experience...

Emailed both Jeff Jackson (Tafel MB Louisville) and Cassandra Castro (International Autos MB Milwaukee) for price quote on official Mercedes Benz USA New Car Extended Limited Warranty for 2016 C300 4MATIC and to verify the car was eligible as I was taking delivery from a non Mercedes dealership later in the week.

From Jeff I quickly received a good price quote and copy of the “exclusionary” type warranty that is preferred along with verification the vehicle qualified for coverage.

A short while later Cassandra sent a slightly lower price for what I assumed was the same warranty coverage, so I asked her to send me the contract to sign and return along with payment info.

Upon receiving the contract from Cassandra, I found it was the lesser “stated component” type warranty. I told her I would not purchase this type of coverage, but I was willing to proceed if she could provide the “exclusionary” coverage. She said there is only one type of warranty available nationwide from Mercedes Benz and this was the best policy available for my vehicle.

I declined the lesser coverage from Cassandra and purchased the more complete warranty from Jeff after I took delivery of the car from the non Mercedes dealership at the end of the week.

+++ for Jeff Jackson at Tafel MB Louisville:
JJackson@mblouisville.com

Be sure to read the actual contract to understand what you are being “sold” by any particular finance manager... the ELW offered from one dealer to another may differ regardless of what many of us assumed regarding all official MB USA backed warranties being the same.

Lastly, remember pricing and eligibility varies based on years & mileage chosen for the type of coverage you choose as well as your specific vehicle. Compare answers from several providers to get the best results. Jeff saved me over 25 percent versus my 3 local dealers (one of which told me my car couldn’t be covered because I was not the original owner and didn’t buy it as CPO from MB dealer).

Last edited by BJEB; 09-14-2019 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarification on pricing variations
Loubud (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 09:21 AM

2019 C63s, 2019 C43, 2016 911 Turbo
Originally Posted by BJEB
First, thanks to all for sharing your ELW shopping information. Here is my recent experience...

Emailed both Jeff Jackson (Tafel MB Louisville) and Cassandra Castro (International Autos MB Milwaukee) for price quote on official Mercedes Benz USA New Car Extended Limited Warranty for 2016 C300 4MATIC and to verify the car was eligible as I was taking delivery from a non Mercedes dealership later in the week.

From Jeff I quickly received a good price quote and copy of the “exclusionary” type warranty that is preferred along with verification the vehicle qualified for coverage.

A short while later Cassandra sent a slightly lower price for what I assumed was the same warranty coverage, so I asked her to send me the contract to sign and return along with payment info.

Upon receiving the contract from Cassandra, I found it was the lesser “stated component” type warranty. I told her I would not purchase this type of coverage, but I was willing to proceed if she could provide the “exclusionary” coverage. She said there is only one type of warranty available nationwide from Mercedes Benz and this was the best policy available for my vehicle.

I declined the lesser coverage from Cassandra and purchased the more complete warranty from Jeff after I took delivery of the car from the non Mercedes dealership at the end of the week.

+++ for Jeff Jackson at Tafel MB Louisville:
JJackson@mblouisville.com

Be sure to read the actual contract to understand what you are being “sold” by any particular finance manager... the ELW offered from one dealer to another may differ regardless of what many of us assumed regarding all official MB USA backed warranties being the same.

Lastly, remember pricing and eligibility varies based on years & mileage chosen for the type of coverage you choose as well as your specific vehicle. Compare answers from several providers to get the best results. Jeff saved me over 25 percent versus my 3 local dealers (one of which told me my car couldn’t be covered because I was not the original owner and didn’t buy it as CPO from MB dealer).
Help me understand. Was Cassandra not aware the ‘exclusionary’ type warranty Jeff offered is available?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:33 AM

So I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in again:
  • I had used Jamie Ruis in the past. He, like most Finance Managers, is often near impossible to get on the phone, but will reply to emails. I found his pricing MUCH better than say, your local stealership, but not the best among the other Finance Managers listed on this thread.
  • I've now been using Cassandra for all my coverages. Prepaid maintenance, First Class Wheel & Tire, Fidelity Platinum Plus Term Care, etc. She's really come through for me on several times. But also can be near impossible to get on the phone; email is best.
Having said that, Mercedes branded products (eg Mercedes First Class Wheel & Tire, Mercedes Prepaid Maintenance, and Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty) should be the same no matter who you purchase them from. So you're just price shopping, and comparing apples to oranges.

On non-Mercedes branded coverages, what they cover can be VERY different. For example:
  • I got the Fidelity Platinum Plus Term Care on my C63S from my local dealer in FL, and the contract states, "BRAKE ROTOR/DRUM COVERAGE: Covers the replacement or repair of one (1) set of front and rear brake rotors/drums in conjunction with a brake pad replacement (excluding carbon/ceramic rotors)."
  • I got the same Fidelity Platinum Term Care with Platinum Plus Rotors (PLR) plan on my GLS63 from Cassandra, and that contract states "BRAKE PAD COVERAGE: Covers the replacement of one (1) set of front and rear brake pads/shoes per year during the TERM of the Service Contract."
To give you an idea on how much that is worth, on the 2016 GLE S we had, cost for brake replacement at the dealership was:
  • Rear pads & rotors: $1117.58
  • Front pads & rotors: $902.93
And I'm sure on the GLS the cost will be very similar. So the contract just paid for itself with ONE brake & rotor change all around. And the contract covers this once a year!

Hope that helps...
Old 09-14-2019, 10:48 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
I just finished this process with Jeff and Cassandra... the Mercedes ELW offered by each was DIFFERENT.

Cassandra claimed her “stated coverage” type was the only available ELW nationwide. NOT TRUE.

I purchased the more extensive “exclusionary” type coverage from Jeff.

As to why... I would only be guessing. I don’t know what Cassandra knows or what her motivation for selling the lesser coverage might be. Maybe her dealership only offers this type of Mercedes warranty. Maybe she’s unaware other dealerships offer the better coverage warranty. Maybe she likes you thinking you’re getting a good deal from her when she saves you 50 dollars and provides a much more limited coverage warranty...

All I know is what I experienced (read above). I wanted to share the information, so all could be informed.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Bottom line... get several quotes and READ the actual contract from EACH provider before signing to ensure you’re getting what you think you should be getting.

I almost made a mistake by assuming all official MB USA ELW’s would be the same. I thought I could maybe save someone else from making that same mistake/assumption.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER...
POWER TO THE PEOPLE OF THE FORUM
Old 09-14-2019, 11:07 AM

Yea that's news to me. I also assumed the warranty on a branded product would be the same across the board. But yea, different dealers have diff contracts with diff levels of coverage, and there's also state regulations that affect that (just scroll down to the bottom of the contract where it has a whole list of the state-specific changes to the contract).

Thanks for clarifying the MB EW is different...good to know!
Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Face page for each contract was identical, but the body that specifies coverage was different.

See attached, sorry for formatting which may have been altered when copied.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jeff ELW.pdf (482.4 KB, 318 views)
File Type: pdf
Cassandra ELW.pdf (132.8 KB, 327 views)
Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by BJEB
I just finished this process with Jeff and Cassandra... the Mercedes ELW offered by each was DIFFERENT.

Cassandra claimed her “stated coverage” type was the only available ELW nationwide. NOT TRUE.

I purchased the more extensive “exclusionary” type coverage from Jeff.

As to why... I would only be guessing. I don’t know what Cassandra knows or what her motivation for selling the lesser coverage might be. Maybe her dealership only offers this type of Mercedes warranty. Maybe she’s unaware other dealerships offer the better coverage warranty. Maybe she likes you thinking you’re getting a good deal from her when she saves you 50 dollars and provides a much more limited coverage warranty...

All I know is what I experienced (read above). I wanted to share the information, so all could be informed.
Appreciate this. I just got quotes from both on my new to me GLC300 4Matic. Both of them were within $150 of each other and about $1K cheaper than what my dealer was offering which was $500 less than their original price (i,e, almost 40% cheaper than MSRP)

I have had extended on both my G35X and G37X - saved money in the end with it on the G35x, lost a little on G37x, but in the end, short money - The net effect of an extra 8 years and 100K miles of coverage was about $80/year cost to me in the end. That is short money for the POTENTIAL of some of these things. While I hear many talk how the general quality has improved, with more and more electronics, there is a lot more expensive points of failure. In the end if the vehicles were REALLY that solid, they would offer more than 4/50K standard. While it can be "free" money to the dealer, in the end, I think 60% of people who get it, never need it. 20% of the people who get it break even, and 20% of the people save a ton. Dealer is still likely clearing 30% or more in the end

My cost on extending out for this will be more of $2K so the net will be how much it may save. Still have not pulled the trigger, but likely will since my 2016 is :
-- The first build year of this particular model
-- With a lot of my option extras (sport package) there are more points of failure compared to base

Still have plenty of time since mine is a CPO, but will be curious to see what owners of higher mileage 2016s are running into.
Ray Hoffman (10-26-2021)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased a MB -- ELW from Cassandra approximately a year ago for our 2015 ML400. The contract is an "exclusionary" contract. Working with Cassandra was easy, quick and professional. I saved a significant amount over the cost from our local dealers.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 AM

2016 C300 4MATIC
So she has either changed the coverage type she offers, or different coverage is being offered at different times to different people in contrast to what she told me.

In any case, the main point remains the same: Not all coverage is the same. Shop around.

Read the actual contract to determine what you are being sold.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:59 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
19 E63SW, 18 Jeep JL, 15 Denali, 03 G35 Coupe
Old 01-07-2020, 08:03 PM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
19 E63SW, 18 Jeep JL, 15 Denali, 03 G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
So I just wanted to throw my $0.02 in again:
  • I had used Jamie Ruis in the past. He, like most Finance Managers, is often near impossible to get on the phone, but will reply to emails. I found his pricing MUCH better than say, your local stealership, but not the best among the other Finance Managers listed on this thread.
  • I've now been using Cassandra for all my coverages. Prepaid maintenance, First Class Wheel & Tire, Fidelity Platinum Plus Term Care, etc. She's really come through for me on several times. But also can be near impossible to get on the phone; email is best.
Having said that, Mercedes branded products (eg Mercedes First Class Wheel & Tire, Mercedes Prepaid Maintenance, and Mercedes Extended Limited Warranty) should be the same no matter who you purchase them from. So you're just price shopping, and comparing apples to oranges.

On non-Mercedes branded coverages, what they cover can be VERY different. For example:
  • I got the Fidelity Platinum Plus Term Care on my C63S from my local dealer in FL, and the contract states, "BRAKE ROTOR/DRUM COVERAGE: Covers the replacement or repair of one (1) set of front and rear brake rotors/drums in conjunction with a brake pad replacement (excluding carbon/ceramic rotors)."
  • I got the same Fidelity Platinum Term Care with Platinum Plus Rotors (PLR) plan on my GLS63 from Cassandra, and that contract states "BRAKE PAD COVERAGE: Covers the replacement of one (1) set of front and rear brake pads/shoes per year during the TERM of the Service Contract."
To give you an idea on how much that is worth, on the 2016 GLE S we had, cost for brake replacement at the dealership was:
  • Rear pads & rotors: $1117.58
  • Front pads & rotors: $902.93
And I'm sure on the GLS the cost will be very similar. So the contract just paid for itself with ONE brake & rotor change all around. And the contract covers this once a year!

Hope that helps...
Cassandra just helped me out as well. She is excellent. Very professional.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E450 Wagon, GLC300, E550
What if original warranty expires

I apologize if this has already been answered, but -

Do you need to purchase an extended warranty before the original warranty expires, or can you purchase one afterwards?

My wife’s MB is near the end of warranty, and she is undecided on keeping it vs. buying a new car.

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MB Extended Limited Warranty Basics Thread