Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

SLS AMG Aftermarket Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 144 Posts
SLS AMG
SLS AMG Aftermarket Extended Warranty

3/14/16.... I am going to hunt around a bit when I'm bored at work and see what's out there. There are some discussions in the SLS sections but, I'm posting here too. Maybe dealers will find me too.

I am serious about getting one in the next few months. < note to dealers.. it's in bold.. so PM me!

Could make for an interesting thread.

I can't get an ELW through MB because my SLS went through MB pre-owned inventory... how stupid is that...

There is an ELW available on the SLS, but the vehicle has to meet certain conditions and here are the details:

- A pre-owned SLS would only be eligible for an ELW only if it meets the following conditions:
o The customer purchased the vehicle privately or through a non Mercedes-Benz dealership AND
o The vehicle has not gone through a Mercedes-Benz dealer’s pre-owned inventory AND
o The vehicle is still under the new vehicle factory warranty.
----> Otherwise it would need to be a Certified Pre-Owned by the dealer and then it would be eligible for the CPO ELW.

if the dealer is unsure of the process they should call the WSG (Warranty Services Group)
William Vetter
Asst. Product Manager - AMG & Black Series
Exclusive Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz USA

Last edited by NewportSLS; 03-15-2016 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
Names deleted to protect the no so innocent. (These are all the top MB dealers in SoCal)

Just to clarify my car was sold to me non-CPO (I simply didn't know how CPO worked or that a car could have been CPOed)
See terms again below to qualify for a MB ELW.
There is an ELW available on the SLS, but the vehicle has to meet certain conditions and here are the details:

- A pre-owned SLS would only be eligible for an ELW only if it meets the following conditions:
o The customer purchased the vehicle privately or through a non Mercedes-Benz dealership AND
o The vehicle has not gone through a Mercedes-Benz dealer’s pre-owned inventory AND
o The vehicle is still under the new vehicle factory warranty.
----> Otherwise it would need to be a Certified Pre-Owned by the dealer and then it would be eligible for the CPO ELW.
if the dealer is unsure of the process they should call the WSG (Warranty Services Group)
William Vetter
Asst. Product Manager - AMG & Black Series
Exclusive Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz USA

Thanks for reaching out to us.  I represent two providers (Mercury Insurance Group & Royal Admin) that offer coverage in CA and unfortunately, neither one of them offer coverage for the SLS AMG.  
Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for emailing.
I'll check into it. Not an easy car to get coverage for.

Good afternoon and thank you for the opportunity to earn your business. I can understand the disheartened feeling, especially with such a special vehicle as the SLS AMG. You are correct that your SLS does not qualify for a MB ELW. Both of my third party options that I have here, unfortunately do not offer warranties for the SLS. I wish there was another way around it, but unfortunately I don’t have that way.
Thank you again, and good luck with your warranty purchase.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible for any MB extended warranty, please see below;  To make matters worse, we don’t have a 3rd party options for your SLS either.

If you shop around, you should be able to find a 3rd party solution that is equal to what MB offers under certain circumstances.  We currently offer JM&A (Fidelity) and they won’t cover an SLS for some reason. It doesn’t make any sense, but that’s the way it is.
The SLS, now that it’s out of production, is steadily increasing in value.  Hold onto it and make some money.
Good luck!

I have cc'd my finance manager as he is the one who handles any ELW's for me whether it be aftermarket or MB factory.  I will have $%#@ look into the possibility of turning your vehicle into a CPO car which will require the vehicle to be brought up to spec.  I.e. Tires, brakes, etc.  I am not sure if there is a credible aftermarket warranty that will give you the coverage you are looking for as that is %^$# expertise.  He comes in the office at 12 today and will reach out as soon as he comes in.  Thank you.
My apologies for the delay and gap in response, I’ve had a few customers in front of me and wasn’t able to respond immediately.
If it were eligible for the new car ELW, yes, you’d be looking at approximately $9000. Unfortunately, the previous dealer who sold you the car sold the car as a non-CPO. This is where the problem comes from and why the costs involved are high.
Basically, in order for me give you 3 years of CPO warranty, I need to buy the car from you and sell it back. About half of the $20k is coming from taxes. After calculating the difference between putting the car through the CPO process versus a 3rd party warranty, the cost difference isn’t enough where I would go with the 3rd party as the coverage isn’t as protective as the MBUSA CPO ELW.
I understand you don’t drive this car much, however, the CPO warranty would give the car unlimited miles and would only expire the warranty based on time.
To address your point on your concern about the transmission, I would add that not only the transmission, but anything else on the car that may fail/break in the future could pose a substantial repair bill as the parts for these vehicles are quite expensive. Most of us dream of owning a vehicle of this caliber, however, those few lucky enough to actually own one don’t desire to have the headaches a vehicle can produce. You spent a good amount of money buying the car already, you should be able to go out and enjoy it instead of worry about it. I believe most owners of these cars say something along the lines of "it’s not worth it if I can’t actually enjoy it". I understand we’re talking about a significant amount of money, however, broken down to the smallest increment, we’re talking about approximately $250/month.
Again, final decision is up to you on how you want to proceed. If you decide you want to run more accurate numbers to calculate what everything will really look like, we can schedule a time to meet and run the car through service and have them give us an estimate on what the costs would be in order to get the car up to CPO standards.
Best regards,

To confirm regarding Mercedes Benz Extended Limited Warranty, you are correct that we are unable to add the warranty.  But we do have a warranty through a third party called First Automotive that we can add the warranty to your SLS.  I have attached pricing and the brochure that shows coverage for the vehicle.  The Comprehensive is the highest coverage that they offer and is comparable with the manufacturer warranty. 
Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to proceed with the purchase.
Thank you,

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-03-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SLS AMG
First Automotive

Last edited by NewportSLS; 05-04-2016 at 12:36 AM.