MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   Rear door stuck on 2010 G55 (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/593972-rear-door-stuck-2010-g55.html)

tmathieu91 07-23-2015 02:34 PM

Rear door stuck on 2010 G55

Just got my G55 out of the shop for a fuel pump and filter replacement, must've run into some bad gas at some point. Anyway, when I went to pick it up my mechanic (who I've known for years and has worked on all my vehicles- the point being this is a trustworthy guy who is a friend as well as a mechanic) pointed out to me that my rear door wouldn't open from either the inside or out.

It feels as if it would open if I really pulled hard on it but I'm afraid to do so in case I couldn't get it to close again. Now, I know this door worked on the night before the vehicle had to be towed to the shop (it stalled out and couldn't be driven there). My question is this, could the stress of being winched up onto the tow truck have put the door into a bind that it can't get itself out of? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I just replaced the door latch on my front door at around $300 and am not anxious to repeat the experience if it isn't totally necessary. If anyone has any advice on how to rectify this issue it would be greatly appreciated, I am just hesitant to pull hard on it and break the damn thing. The doors on these trucks seem to be really touchy, quite out of character for such a robust vehicle. Thanks in advance guys, I'm sure someone will be able to help me out as I've always had good luck with this forum.

miike 01-17-2017 12:55 PM

I now have a rear door stuck on a 2002 G500. Anyone have a solution?

Door worked fine and then I got home and it wouldn't open. I pulled the door lock up and it came out completely. I can feel the solenoid locking and unlocking when I hit the button on the remote. On the inside, I pull the handle and it feels sticky. Outside, I push the button and there is no movement or clicking at all. It's as if the car is locked and the handle won't open it.

miike 01-18-2017 06:29 PM

Ok I was able to fix mine by taking the inner door panel off and pulling up on the metal lock pin part. It wasn't coming up all the way. I didn't have tweezers that would reach but it could be possible to get the pin up without taking the panel off. The panel just comes off with the three screws same as front and then panel pop things like normal cars have.

DarrVao777 11-23-2018 10:26 PM

I have the same problem.

Rear left door won't open. The internal door latch popup actually flew off altogether. Now when I pull on the handle, nothing catches. I can also feel the solenoid locking and unlocking as I click the buttons but the external and internal handles aren't latching onto anything and the door doesn't budge.

Taking it to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed under warranty.

I really like the car but this kind of disappointing for a 7 month old car that's supposed to be built like a tank......

DarrVao777 11-24-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by DarrVao777 (Post 7611567)
I have the same problem.

Rear left door won't open. The internal door latch popup actually flew off altogether. Now when I pull on the handle, nothing catches. I can also feel the solenoid locking and unlocking as I click the buttons but the external and internal handles aren't latching onto anything and the door doesn't budge.

Taking it to the dealership tomorrow to hopefully get it fixed under warranty.

I really like the car but this kind of disappointing for a 7 month old car that's supposed to be built like a tank......

Dealer said they've never seen this happen before.

Not sure how true this is since I randomly met a fellow G owner at a children's event a few weeks ago and had the same problem with the exterior door latch malfunctioning.

At least the service experience has been good thus far.

The car really looks phenomenal but I get annoyed at these little glitches.

DarrVao777 01-05-2019 10:06 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...8d0d100754.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...836c5f18d3.jpg
Oh hey.

It happened again. Door locking "peg" pops right out. Door will no longer open from the inside or the outside. Second time this has occurred in 2 months. The last time, I had to bring the car in for them to change the entire locking assembly of the door.

Seriously, WTF. Has this happened to anyone else?

I mean, it can't be user error right? I assure people I'm not opening and closing my door with a screwdriver. What is going on?!

drew138 01-06-2019 02:06 PM

I regularly take a second to twist the door lock pulls "righty tighty" to make sure they are threaded tight. The little threaded pin falls inside the door and is a major pain to pull back up. Major design flaw. Was able to retrieve it once; and had to take to shop a second time.

#protip

DarrVao777 01-06-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by drew138 (Post 7647276)
I regularly take a second to twist the door lock pulls "righty tighty" to make sure they are threaded tight. The little threaded pin falls inside the door and is a major pain to pull back up. Major design flaw. Was able to retrieve it once; and had to take to shop a second time.

#protip

Thanks for the tip, maybe that's what's going on although I'm not sure why this has happened a second time

There's usually no one sitting back there to fiddle with the door lock pulls

gurukid 01-22-2019 06:20 AM

Had the same problem on my rear driver side. Check the door panels. For whatever reason they stick and cause the door not to open. It's because they partially detach from the door frame and get stock on the car frame.

Holson 10-23-2019 12:01 PM

replied to wrong post -

ScottyAC8DE 10-25-2019 09:56 AM

simandang 10-30-2019 01:02 PM

I just checked the windshield isn’t that bad at all. I’ll try to get some pictures. But the hinges and all else look good. Mines a 14 with the magno matte black paint.

I am the second owner of my truck. The previous owner used the truck to commute all around the east coast so it had primarily seen highway driving and no garaged parking.

I park in the garage when home but when I am traveling for work which is often the truck is outside most of the time.

For what it’s worth I also have a 14 RR LWB that has no rust and double the miles of the G. It’s parked outside all the time and was always parked outside and neglected in the elements.

horse86 10-31-2019 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by simandang (Post 7890563)
I just checked the windshield isn’t that bad at all. I’ll try to get some pictures. But the hinges and all else look good. Mines a 14 with the magno matte black paint.

I am the second owner of my truck. The previous owner used the truck to commute all around the east coast so it had primarily seen highway driving and no garaged parking.

I park in the garage when home but when I am traveling for work which is often the truck is outside most of the time.

For what it’s worth I also have a 14 RR LWB that has no rust and double the miles of the G. It’s parked outside all the time and was always parked outside and neglected in the elements.

Thats RR aluminum materials and high quality top tier paint for ya :thumbsup:. The same can't be said for Merc G.

Surge 12-24-2019 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7891110)
Thats RR aluminum materials and high quality top tier paint for ya :thumbsup:. The same can't be said for Merc G.

You’re being sarcastic, right? Everyone I’ve known who’s owned Range Rovers have said they are garbage (from a reliability and quality standpoint). British cars are well engineered and creatively designed; but they are not known for their reliability!

JD101b 06-13-2020 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7891110)

My mom has a RR and I'm thinking the same...great vehicle.

JD101b 07-25-2022 07:39 PM

Please delete

CharlesHussell 10-20-2022 10:38 PM