G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Preventative Maintenance - Over 111k Miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB G 500
Preventative Maintenance - Over 111k Miles

Hello my G Family,

I need your advice. My G Wagen has a rear main seal leak that is about to be repaired this coming week. I guess they have to drop the Trany to fix it and my question is:

Since they are doing that anyway, and I have over 111,000 miles, what other part/s would you consider replacing as a preventative maintenance type measure??

Many Thanks!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
I've got a slight rear main seal leak as well. Interested to hear how it went for you and how many hours it took labor wise.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB G 500
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo
I've got a slight rear main seal leak as well. Interested to hear how it went for you and how many hours it took labor wise.
The dealership had my Gwag for 2 weeks due to the Extended warranty inspectors taking their sweet a** time to come down and check the leak.

The guys were super nice though, and they had me come check out my whip while it was up on the lift and there was a little and I mean a little bit of a leak almost like a small oil residue that they pointed out so I am glad I did not pay a penny for the job.

The mechanic in charge told me it took them about 4-5 hours to take it apart. I would have to look at the total amount of hours but they charged the Extended Warranty company $1850 for the repair.
They got the green light from the Inspector on a Friday morning but I didnt get my Gwag back until the following Tuesday night.

I am pretty sure it was back together mid day Monday maybe but they are really thorough with their work so they made sure all the seals had the time to fully cure and after a few test drives, they probably just kept it to triple check for any type issue. I was dying to get my whip back but they gave me a nice MB loaner for a couple of weeks free of charge so I cannot really complain.

I got some nice compliments that my Gwag was in really great shape, no other leaks beside the rear main seal that they just patched up

I will look again for the Receipt/Invoice to see if there was a total number of Labor hours charged and let you know if its noted on there..

The rear main seal leak..it was not a gusher but im glad I got it repaired for Free, thanks to an After market Extended warranty!

I was pretty emotional when I came for a visit and saw this..
Old 05-07-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Lifted G500, GT-S, track Cooper S
Awesome. I appreciate the info as it gives me a guideline to expect. Mine isn't bad either so I am milking it; the oil loss is pretty much negligible so I just watch it and clean the mess. Glad you got yours sorted!