G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G 63 AMG leaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 G63 AMG
G 63 AMG leaning

Okay so here it goes... i see a lot of issues with this 2014 G63 AMG i have had... mainly electrical but the bigger issue is the Vehicle has been leaning to the left side (driver side) I weight 180 pounds so i hope it's not my weight. Does anyone else have this same issue. The MB dealership in San Diego says nothing to fix.. Yeah over half an inch lean to the left and nothing to fix. I already started a claim with MBUSA for California on the Lemon law ... in my most humble opinion i don't think a vehicle costing over 130K should be leaning at all and looking like a ford pinto.

Please let me know if you guys have had the same issue. We can most likely start a class action against MB because this is insane!
Old 10-10-2017, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Good luck with a class action suit.

How far out of spec is the actual ride height? Saying it's leaning 1/2" doesn't mean anything, you need to know if the right side is high, left side is low, etc. compared to where it's supposed to be from production.

G wagons are not symmetrical vehicles, so a little variation is going to happen. Usually they lean the other way to compensate for the weight of a driver, so with nobody in the car it will be slightly higher on the left, not right, but I don't know what the specs are on the G specifically.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 G63 AMG
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

How far out of spec is the actual ride height? Saying it's leaning 1/2" doesn't mean anything, you need to know if the right side is high, left side is low, etc. compared to where it's supposed to be from production.

G wagons are not symmetrical vehicles, so a little variation is going to happen. Usually they lean the other way to compensate for the weight of a driver, so with nobody in the car it will be slightly higher on the left, not right, but I don't know what the specs are on the G specifically.

Thanks man, at the moment the ride height is off by 1/2" and pulls to the right ... the alignment is 100% per the dealership but the ride height is off ...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
haa

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1

Owned 5 of them since 2009. They all lean a bit to all different directions and they all pull to the left or right a bit. this is what you get with 1970s state of the art steering and suspension. If you cannot tolerate that then get a Cayenne or BMW X5 or GLE. G Wagens are not highway and track performance vehicles. They are luxuriously appointed military grade offroad trucks.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by haa
Owned 5 of them since 2009. They all lean a bit to all different directions and they all pull to the left or right a bit. this is what you get with 1970s state of the art steering and suspension. If you cannot tolerate that then get a Cayenne or BMW X5 or GLE. G Wagens are not highway and track performance vehicles. They are luxuriously appointed military grade offroad trucks.
Unfortunately, there are VERY few owners who understand this and accept it.

I get the fact that if you spend damn near 200K on a vehicle, you want it to be perfect at everything. The problem with the G wagon is, just as you say, you are getting cutting-edge 40 year old suspension design. It doesn't drive like a nice modern truck because it isn't built like a nice modern truck. They sure do look cool though. Not at all fun to work on, but it's part of the 'charm' of them I guess.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G-Class
At first I thought there was something wrong with my G-Class since it was pulling to the right. After taking in for a service (twice), I realized that its just how the G's are built. If you focus on how it pulls, it will always bother you. The less you pay attention, the more you will enjoy your ride. Its been over a year and I haven't even noticed that it pulls to the right.

Most likely 2019 G-Class (W464) will have this fixed.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
G-Wagon leaning.pdf

Found this today, might be helpful to mention to your dealership if there's a leaning concern. The steps to take are silly, swapping springs right to left and such, is just poor quality control. But this is what MB suggest to address it.

Tolerance is 15mm, over a half-inch. So it's never gonna be perfect.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LR
What do you mean exactly by leaning? Is it when you sit in the car it leans that bad that you can notice it in front of you? Or it's just pulling when you driving?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by MR-H
What do you mean exactly by leaning? Is it when you sit in the car it leans that bad that you can notice it in front of you? Or it's just pulling when you driving?
Read the PDF file I posted. It describes what's happening, and how a dealership can address it.

They all pull, there's little you can do to fix it, in my experience. Specifically on the 63 as the new steering box location outboard of the frame changed the geometry of the steering gear and it now has a built-in offset that will compromise on-center feel and resistance to pulling in one direction only, which is why they all pull to the right.