G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

what to buy G550 - 16 or earlier?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LR
Question what to buy G550 - 16 or earlier?

Hi
Is there a noticeable difference in handling and other areas between new 4L 2016 engine vs earlier models?
I am still hunting for a deal... thought it would be easier to find one but not yet.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
My advice is to buy the latest model year you can afford. They may all look the same but subtle changes have been made year to year. Set your price and then go shopping.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:09 PM

LR
Cool

Originally Posted by pdeacon
My advice is to buy the latest model year you can afford. They may all look the same but subtle changes have been made year to year. Set your price and then go shopping.
You mean 2017 or 18?
I drove a CPO 2015 today with 35k miles on it. Did not feel right. Was pretty slow on pick up and supppper noisy above like 70mph on highway. ( I know they all have some hissing noise that's noticeable, but that was pretty loud!)
I technically can buy a brand new one, but for some reason I am being very stingy now thinking about the depreciation...

I have not tried 2016 yet. Wondering is new 4L engine is more responsive than below older models..
Also, wanted to add that those ba$tard dealers do not wanna give a good price off msrp on a new order...
Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
I have a MY 16. It is very responsive and will go as fast as you ever should reasonably go in these vehicles. I bought mine as a dealer demo with 2200 miles and a significant discount. Low mileage plus full factory warranty. Also don't expect the noise level to be the same as any other MB product. These things are noisy but that's part of the "character". By the way, these trucks are not for everyone. Be sure to do an extended test drive under varying conditions; highway, city, parking garages, etc. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM

LR
Originally Posted by pdeacon
I have a MY 16. It is very responsive and will go as fast as you ever should reasonably go in these vehicles. I bought mine as a dealer demo with 2200 miles and a significant discount. Low mileage plus full factory warranty. Also don't expect the noise level to be the same as any other MB product. These things are noisy but that's part of the "character". By the way, these trucks are not for everyone. Be sure to do an extended test drive under varying conditions; highway, city, parking garages, etc. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Good luck with your search.
It's great that you were able to get a discount. I should test drive 16 as soon as I can get to one. I don't hate them. I been hunting for one for awhile. I just don't wanna overpay or get one with some issues that it will be a pain in a butt to deal with, meaning dealer visits etc..so I am trying to research as much as I can upfront...

Any specifics to pay attention to in advance? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:08 PM

LR
I actually phased out regular G550. Have been driving more units. I will have to get AMG to have a balance that I need.

Having driven them a lot lately, I am still not cool with the way brake pedals and gas are positioned. Maybe it's a matter of getting used to. But this really bothers me every time I drive one. I have to move my whole leg not just tilt the foot.
Sitting position on all of them is too limited to adjustments that you can make. Never really noticed before, but steering wheel covers 1/3 of the speedometer too.
The following users liked this post:
Surge (12-31-2017)