G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Does anyone know if its possible to tow with a G-550 4x4 sqaured?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Wagon 4x4 Squared
Question Does anyone know if its possible to tow with a G-550 4x4 sqaured?

I'm looking to tow my racecar with the G 550 4x4 Squared. I've been going through hell trying to figure out if there is a tow hitch or different rear bumper you can put on it. Ive been getting spilt answers on if it can be done. Any 100% percent answers out there? Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by James Powers
I'm looking to tow my racecar with the G 550 4x4 Squared. I've been going through hell trying to figure out if there is a tow hitch or different rear bumper you can put on it. Ive been getting spilt answers on if it can be done. Any 100% percent answers out there? Thanks
Hello. There are no 100% answers. You will have to remove the rear bar/bumper support first. All of that is held into place with just bolts. Problem is, once you do that, you leave the fuel tank completely exposed to a rear end accident. We took ours to MB Manhattan, had the tech remove the bumper bars/support, then put on a Euro-Spec Skid Plate for the fuel tank.

I can't tell you exactly what he did, however I do know that he added some bumper re-enforcement from a standard G Wagon.

I think everything unbolted (don't quote me), and part of the parts he unbolted were re-enforcement. So he took it upon himself to find the solution to do US Spec standard G Wagon stuff.

If anyone is in the North East, and only takes their G's (or other AMG/MB) to dealers for service, I can strongly strongly strongly recommend the Head AMG Tech at MB Manhattan. He is ridiculously good, and have never had any issues whatsoever with his work.

Regarding the Skid Plate, I ordered it through a contact in Dubai who I know from when I lived there. It is very expensive, however I think gwagenaccessories has/had some available (not sure if they are OEM).

Your main problem will probably be added the tow hitch to the truck, as obviously more reinforcement needs to be there for the extra strain from your race car, or whatever else you are wanting to tow.

If you go ahead with it, please keep us posted. Would be interesting to see the final outcome!

Attachment 440894
Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
U900-406 Ag Kipper Convertible
The GP bumper will work for this and its here in the USA
Email me at mserpe@yahoo.com for details.