G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

PDI and delivery experience 2019 G550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 G550
PDI and delivery experience 2019 G550

I'm taking delivery of my black (040) 2019 G550 in the next few weeks in Oakville, Canada. I have seen a few vehicles at the dealer getting prepped during the PDI process, specifically run thru an automated car wash then polished with a buffer. It seems the guys are swamped with cars and can't spend the time required for a proper job. I've always waxed my cars by hand. Old school maybe, but I've never had issues with swirl marks.
I was able to see micro scratches in the paint on a black G550 they had ready for delivery.

I'm tempted to pick up my G without any polishing.

Anyone else have a similar concern? Or am I being too paranoid?

Also, has anyone that's already taken delivery received any extra's from their salesperson? winter matts? protective film for front? MB swag? Usually I would ask for a discount on MSRP but that's not happening with the G.

Thank you,
Mike
Old 12-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by G5502019
I'm taking delivery of my black (040) 2019 G550 in the next few weeks in Oakville, Canada. I have seen a few vehicles at the dealer getting prepped during the PDI process, specifically run thru an automated car wash then polished with a buffer. It seems the guys are swamped with cars and can't spend the time required for a proper job. I've always waxed my cars by hand. Old school maybe, but I've never had issues with swirl marks.
I was able to see micro scratches in the paint on a black G550 they had ready for delivery.

I'm tempted to pick up my G without any polishing.

Anyone else have a similar concern? Or am I being too paranoid?

Also, has anyone that's already taken delivery received any extra's from their salesperson? winter matts? protective film for front? MB swag? Usually I would ask for a discount on MSRP but that's not happening with the G.

Thank you,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I wouldn't be worried regarding their prep in regards to waxing. I would recommend telling your sales guy/gal before your G arrives that you are very particular, and you do not want any swirl marks/imperfections in the paint. When delivery happens, look over your G with a fine-toothed comb, and if you see something that isn't to your liking, address the issue ASAP so they can sort it. By mentioning this to your sales person, this should make them more pro-active in their own inspection before you arrive.

in regards to the mats/swag; I would bring this up at delivery with your sales person/finance person. This request is minimal, and they should be more than happy to provide the mats and whatever else you want (within reason obviously) with no hesitation. I have to assume that they appreciate you are paying MSRP for the truck, and would want to provide you a little extra to make your experience with them better.

Hope that helps, good luck with the New G when you pick her up!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:11 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Dealers definitely don’t handle new cars the way these should be while during PDI. I’m planning to do PDI at the detailer who has done paint correction and ppf on all my new cars. From Porsche to Range Rover, I couldn’t believe how imperfect the paint had been..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350w4
I've delivered 6 of the 2019's and on most vehicles that I sell I give the client the option of taking with just a PDI and they like to have their own people take care of detailing for the reasons you mentioned. Even when I take delivery of my personal cars I don't have them detailed
Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLE 63 COUPLE
Most MB vehicle delivered in Ontario should come with a free set of weathertech floor liner re-branded under MB. Ask your sales about it.