MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   2019 G Wagon WindShield Wiper and snow/ice (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/734377-2019-g-wagon-windshield-wiper-snow-ice.html)

johnnyderm 01-29-2019 03:37 PM

2019 G Wagon WindShield Wiper and snow/ice

My previous Gen windshield wipers did an awful job at handling East Cost snow and ice. Snow would just build up and up and up.
Does anyone know if the 2019 wiper system on the G is any better? Would LOVE to know about this from those lucky enough to be on the road with the new Gs!

pateljb 02-09-2019 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyderm (Post 7667470)
My previous Gen windshield wipers did an awful job at handling East Cost snow and ice. Snow would just build up and up and up.
Does anyone know if the 2019 wiper system on the G is any better? Would LOVE to know about this from those lucky enough to be on the road with the new Gs!

We've had our 2019 G550 for 3 months now and can say the wpers are much better in both rain and the little bit of snow we've had. Even the rear wiper which has moved down behind the spare has a larger wipe area than before. I also like the fact that there are no more "defrost wires" in the front winshield so much better visibility and don't hear the wind resistencewe had on the prev generation.

mkirby 03-07-2020 06:31 PM

I just drove through my first blizzard with my 2019 G550. I can honestly say it’s the worst wiper setup I’ve ever seen on a vehicle. I had to pull over on the highway multiple times to break up the snow and ice that built up on the wipers. I’ve never had a vehicle that did this. I’ll be buying new blades tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the problem.

Bob Z. 03-07-2020 08:33 PM

Why not buy winter blades? I grew up in Buffalo NY and we always put those on when the snow started. which work so much better than regular blades.

FatTony001 03-10-2020 10:07 AM

It would have been nice that the defrost wires on the windsheild went all the way to the left.
Cause there is a 2” gap with no heat where it cause the snow to freeze and builds up.
Which makes the wiper do a bad job.
Soo close MB but no cigar.
I’ll just say. Alot of cars / truck has the same problem. But with the heated windsheild. This could have been avoided.
I got a 2018.

Bkhko 03-13-2020 02:14 AM

For me I’ve noticed little to no difference between my 2018 and 2019 in the snow/cold weather.

CL5504Matic 12-18-2020 11:27 AM

Driving in a 2020 G63 this past nor'easter was my first experience of how ineffective the wiper and windshield design is for snow purposes. I was looking forward to take advantage of the G in snow. Instead, I had to scrape the blades every 5 minutes on the side of the highway, otherwise, I would've been driving blind. Perhaps, it's the fact that the resting position of the wipers is at the base of the windshield - which is completely exposed and accumulates a lot of ice. This space is mostly covered in other car designs.

The only idea that comes to mind is either a heated windshield or heated wiper blades. In either case, a power source would be required. and all heated blades I've come across seem to include a a protruding and unsightly wire.

Is there any solution out there for this?

Bob Z. 12-18-2020 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by CL5504Matic (Post 8227679)
Driving in a 2020 G63 this past nor'easter was my first experience of how ineffective the wiper and windshield design is for snow purposes. I was looking forward to take advantage of the G in snow. Instead, I had to scrape the blades every 5 minutes on the side of the highway, otherwise, I would've been driving blind. Perhaps, it's the fact that the resting position of the wipers is at the base of the windshield - which is completely exposed and accumulates a lot of ice. This space is mostly covered in other car designs.

The only idea that comes to mind is either a heated windshield or heated wiper blades. In either case, a power source would be required. and all heated blades I've come across seem to include a a protruding and unsightly wire.

Is there any solution out there for this?

I assume you are at least using winter blades?

mkirby 12-18-2020 11:52 AM

My plan is to try heated wiper blades. I have winter blades now and they are no help. last winter my G was almost useless. I would constantly have to pull over to knock the snow and ice off the wipers.

CL5504Matic 12-18-2020 12:18 PM

I'm using the factory wipers. I'm skeptical winter blades would make much difference. At one point, there was an option for a heated windshield, but I can no longer locate that.

I'd be interested in heated blades, but would prefer they remain inconspicuous.

mkirby 12-18-2020 12:26 PM

My 2019 has the heated windshield as i believe they were standard in Canada. Unfortunately it does not help. hopefully heated wiper blades work.

084runnerltd 12-18-2020 06:57 PM

Dang, I thought the heated windshield was standard in the USA.

Looking closer at my 2021 550 build, it says, “heat & noise insulated glass.” I guess I misread that. ;(

E55Greasemonkey 12-18-2020 07:06 PM

Who would have guessed that an obscure 1960's military vehicle wouldn't make a great daily driver.