G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2019 G550 why I returned it after a week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 G550
2019 G550 why I returned it after a week

I waited for over two years for my 2019 G550 and thought it was going to be an amazing improvement over the out going model.
And I can say that the new one is indeed improved in every aspect from a tech/engineering point of view. However,
as soon as I started driving it, I realized that all the faults of the previous one are actually what make it great.
The new one felt way too wide. I can appreciate the improved room inside the cabin but I missed the narrow go anywhere feel.
And the increased dimensions of the exterior, along with the edges now rounded, just make it seem like the proportions are off.

My biggest complaint for the interior would be the rear seat design and head rests. I imagine it was for cost savings to throw in rear seats from a GLS/GLE that no longer have three proper seats, and the ugliest head rest design; you can't sit in the seat if they are down, and they look weird when they are up.
The interior now feels like an S class which does not make you feel like you want to go drive up a mountain. When you climb into the previous one, you feel like you are ready to go off road. This one just lacks that utilitarian feel.
The ride is also S class compared to the previous model. Which again, does not give you the feeling that you want to go off road. I really missed the heavy steering feel, that made it seem like you were driving a tank.

My dealer took the truck back for a full refund, even though I put over 300 miles on it.

Now I'm looking for a 2018....550 or 63 and I will keep it for a very long time.

I imagine I'm not the only one, that was a big fan of the previous version and was disappointed that the "new" one seems like it lost its character.

---

The following 2 users liked this post by G5502019:
Deutsch100 (01-31-2019), Surge (04-13-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,439 Likes on 952 Posts
No more MB:(
Wow, very interesting. My dealer had offered me a 2019 at MSRP but I passed. The one thing I remember was the doors felt lighter and lost that heavy sound when I shut them. I agree that the new G is probably better in almost every way but lose that "truck" feel that made it so attractive to some. Curious to hear others with 2019's reply.
The following users liked this post:
Deutsch100 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by G5502019
I waited for over two years for my 2019 G550 and thought it was going to be an amazing improvement over the out going model.
And I can say that the new one is indeed improved in every aspect from a tech/engineering point of view. However,
as soon as I started driving it, I realized that all the faults of the previous one are actually what make it great.
The new one felt way too wide. I can appreciate the improved room inside the cabin but I missed the narrow go anywhere feel.
And the increased dimensions of the exterior, along with the edges now rounded, just make it seem like the proportions are off.

My biggest complaint for the interior would be the rear seat design and head rests. I imagine it was for cost savings to throw in rear seats from a GLS/GLE that no longer have three proper seats, and the ugliest head rest design; you can't sit in the seat if they are down, and they look weird when they are up.
The interior now feels like an S class which does not make you feel like you want to go drive up a mountain. When you climb into the previous one, you feel like you are ready to go off road. This one just lacks that utilitarian feel.
The ride is also S class compared to the previous model. Which again, does not give you the feeling that you want to go off road. I really missed the heavy steering feel, that made it seem like you were driving a tank.

My dealer took the truck back for a full refund, even though I put over 300 miles on it.

Now I'm looking for a 2018....550 or 63 and I will keep it for a very long time.

I imagine I'm not the only one, that was a big fan of the previous version and was disappointed that the "new" one seems like it lost its character.

---
I'm glad someone else feels this way. So glad I cancelled my G63 and went with a previous gen. Spent last week in G Wagon heaven aka Beverly Hills, saw plenty of new G550's with the Jeep Wrangler DRL's, it doesn't have the same presence whatsoever. I agree the rear seat is a joke. I want to see a offroad test bw the old and new G. My prediction, values will hold strong on the previous gen car.
Deutsch100 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
Suspect we will see many of these posts over the coming months and years. No doubt there will be many in this pre-19 camp. Overall, I think the car will appeal to a wider audience. Wait till the new Defender comes out. Should be interesting to read the reviews there. The pre-19s will always hold a special spot in automotive history and in the hearts of those who truly drove them and appreciated their quirks.
abhatti55 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
G550
Funny as we're now buying our first one for the better driving experience. We live in Vail Colorado and go off road quite a bit but usually in a dedicated off road vehicle. Was going to buy a 2018 but after researching both, decided to go with the 2019. Ours will be used more as a family car or a daily driver for short commutes so in this case, the 19 makes sense for us. But I do undrestand if you want the 18 for the reasons mentioned above, probably from previous owners.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
You always see these posts when a new generation of a car comes out. Me? I tossed my ‘17 G63 out and can’t wait until my 2019 comes in. I for one welcome the 21st century. Loved the look of the ‘17 but looking forward to having a daily driver that doesn’t cause early onset fatigue.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
It is interesting to see the negative posts regarding the new model. I experienced the very same reactions with Porsche as the 911 morphed over the years. I have owned various 911 variants since 1971 through 2016. From a small, nimble sports car to a mid size luxury tourer. From air cooled to water cooled. Things change, technology changes, market demands change and the manufacturers struggle to keep their market niche and remain completive. Having said all this...look what's happened to the value of air cooled 911's. The prices have gone into the stratosphere. Will this happen with the outgoing G? I don't know but seriously doubt it. As for me, the complaints about the MY 19 G are the reasons I have an order in for a new one. Yes, I like my MY 16 but don't like the overall driving experience. It is fun around town but a chore on a long trip. I have never had my G offload and probably never will.To each his own, as they say. That's what makes life interesting.
The following 3 users liked this post by pdeacon:
dunderhi (02-02-2019), Festertester (02-03-2019), Wassaby (02-02-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 PM

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
When I first saw the rear head rests in the new G, I said right away....NO!! I had them in my GL550 and a past ML/GLE63. They are beyond dismal and are a total pain in *** and look beyond cheap!!! When down, you cannot sit on the rear seats, and you have to push them up sky high to use the back seat and then they look absolutely ridiculous. 2018 and older G -Class rear seat design is leaps and bounds better and fits a car of this price!

And...it is UNHEARD of getting a full refund on a car you signed paperwork on and put 300 miles. They will now not be able to sell or lease it as new.

Last edited by Deutsch100; 01-31-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:52 AM

G550
Was thinking the same thing, what dealer would take it back with 300 miles on it? There's on in Scottsdale with 100 miles on it they're selling as used. I need to start shopping there!
Deutsch100 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Received 155 Likes on 99 Posts
19 G550, 19 X3
Originally Posted by places
Wow, very interesting. My dealer had offered me a 2019 at MSRP but I passed. The one thing I remember was the doors felt lighter and lost that heavy sound when I shut them. I agree that the new G is probably better in almost every way but lose that "truck" feel that made it so attractive to some. Curious to hear others with 2019's reply.
I didn’t own the previous gen, but after test driving a couple of ’18s, I took a chance and ordered the ’19. I now have 4k my behind the wheel and I couldn't be happier. Even after only three weeks of ownership, I purchased the 7/100 warranty, which makes this the first vehicle that I intend to drive for more than three years in a couple of decades. There are a few items that I think are nicer/better on the old G. For example the previous bull bar looked better than either of the new bull bars. I originally thought I would remove the bull bar, but it has grown on me. The LKA is a PITA, but I suspect that a software update will solve that annoyance. I agree the rear seat headrests aren’t the greatest design, but they improve rearward visibility and the backseat room is a huge improvement, so overall, an improvement. The dimensional growth makes the new G a much more imposing looking vehicle. I’ve been parked next to old G’s and jacked up Jeeps and trucks; the new G wins in the looks department everytime, but I may be a bit biased. I don’t understand why people here are claiming the headlights get them confused with a Jeep. The look and proportions of the G is pretty distinctive. The headlight LED strips were added in 2013, so I think it is good that MB was able to return to a simpler G look without add-ons, but that’s the key difference between later year previous gen G’s and the new G. The G has been incrementally improved with numerous add-ons over the years, with it slowly starting to look like the ambulance in Ghostbusters (a bit of an exaggeration), whereas the new G is fully integrated with only a couple nostalgic design cues. Then again, some things are just different. For example the old doors were heavier, yet thinner. As a result, the new doors don’t have that higher pitched tin-like sound when slammed shut, but new G’s lighter doors NEED to be slammed shut. The interior also feels more airtight than any vehicle I have ever driven. This can be a negative when the last last door is slammed shut. The AMG exhaust on the ’19 is louder than I would like, such that it belies the G’s new level of sophistication. It sounds closer to a dedicated offroader than a luxury truck. The 9 speed tranny tends to prefer lower gears, which keeps the exhaust note louder, but responsive acceleration is ever present. Some people seem to think having an S Class interior is a negative in a truck, but I like very much prefer it this way. I use the hot stone massage everytime I get into the G. The steering is vastly improved, but in a way it's just MB attempt to keep up with modern trucks like the ones from the big three. Their longer wheel base's give the big three trucks an advantage in the ride comfort category, but none of crew/quad cab trucks fit in my garage. As far as off road, I’ve only done some light stuff this far, so no real info yet. I’ve played on the ice and snow a few times now and I’m pretty happy. Even with aftermarket tires (General Grabbers) there is plenty of slipping and sliding, but it’s predictable. The differentials do take a few moments to lock, but I can see their utility. Also the ability to rock the G while in Low by going directly from drive to reverse and back is a nice feature. I guess that’s it for now, but please don't take my comparisons as attacks, everyone has their own likes and dislikes and your opinions and/or experiences may be quite different from mine.

P.S. I also like the electronic dash. Having a close-up view of the NAV on the dash and a wider view on the center display means there's no need to zoom in/out.

Last edited by dunderhi; 02-02-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: P.S.
The following 4 users liked this post by dunderhi:
.oOo. (02-03-2019), Crfiv (02-04-2019), Deutsch100 (02-03-2019), pdeacon (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G Wagon
Headrests Are Smart

there is a reason they are down so it does not hinder vision. Secondly to sit you simply place the back of your head against the headrest and push it up. It’s actually quite smart.
Festertester (02-03-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
Originally Posted by dunderhi

...The LKA is a PITA, but I suspect that a software update will solve that annoyance...

MB is an extremely conservative company, so IMHO I don't think they are likely to issue a software update allowing the driver to default defeat LKA. I'm surprised this is even permissible on a temporary basis, but at least this way, the driver does it overtly and intentionally, for whatever reason, but then next time the motor is started, it reverts back to its default setting of On. Let's remember, LKA is a safety system designed to make driver and passengers, let alone other vehicles on the road, safer, or so "they" say. Put your lawyer hat on for a moment, and imagine a driver turning LKA permanently Off for his own use. Next day, some other driver gets into this same vehicle, maybe his spouse, friend, whatever, with its LKA safety system still in the Off mode, completely unbeknownst to him. Just imagine the feast the litigation happy lawyers would have if this unsuspecting driver with squelched LKA got into a huge wreck, and sustained horrible injuries, or worse. Hello lawsuit city! OTOH, there are many cars out there, even new 2019's, that have no such LKA system installed, and when these particular cars crash, the automaker is not sued for not having LKA in that vehicle. But with the 2019 G, it is a different matter, as the LKA system is present in the vehicle. And, in this example, if MB would issue software allowing the driver to make that overt choice of default placing the LKA in the Off status, it would also (adversely) affect not just the driver that overtly chose to do this for himself, but would also impact any other driver of that car who might come along and drive it. Seems like a different legal matter vs/ a car that is completely unequipped with LKA in the first place. I could definitely be wrong here, but I'm guessing our friends at MB will not update the G software to allow a default setting where the LKA stays Off, if and until it is ever again overtly re-initialized. I do agree LKA is a PITA, as I have used it, too on another modern vehicle, and sometimes it is more of an annoyance than helpful. The late model 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL, with its awesome headlights, also has LKA, and you can definitely manually defeat it, on a one-off basis. But, just like the G, as soon as the driver restarts the motor, boom, its back into the LKA On mode. You have to manually turn LKA Off, each and every time you start the motor. My guess is FCA lawyers are way ahead of me, and are simply covering their bases here.

Last edited by JetRanger; 02-02-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:01 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
What FULL refund?! You must be an excellent customer.
Deutsch100 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 G550
My dealer agreed to take it back and reverse the transaction 100% as they had a customer on a wait list that agreed to take my truck as a “new” car. Here in Canada the allocation of G’s per dealer is very small so for this customer it meant getting my truck now and not waiting another ten months. And almost all the dealers here are corporate stores so perhaps they have more flexibility than the independent dealers.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM

G550
Lucky, doubt it would happen down here in the U.S.
Deutsch100 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by Snipe10
Lucky, doubt it would happen down here in the U.S.
100% would never happen here. I do not think we have any Mercedes owned and operated dealers left in the USA, do we? Years and Years ago we had Mercedes of Hollywood, which was our last corporate store.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
Yup, in the US, that car would absolutely have to be sold as a used vehicle. No matter how low the mileage might be, even if it had like only 3 miles on its odometer, it makes zero difference. Once the car dealer sells it to the original buyer, that’s it, you have a title transfer. When the dealer turns around even just hours later (makes absolutely no difference as to how short or long of a time interval is involved), right after the first buyer “gets a refund,” and proceeds to then sell that same car to a second buyer, that creates yet a second title transfer. And, this time around, it is associated with a USED car. Full stop. End of story. My guess is it is the same thing in Canada. No idea why on earth this fellow didn’t lose any money. The first buyer would have paid a lot of miscellaneous fees, too, which may not be refundable. Also, if the second buyer finances this car, the lender would have to base the loan rates on a used car, which are higher than for a new car.

Last edited by JetRanger; 02-03-2019 at 09:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JetRanger:
Crfiv (02-04-2019), Deutsch100 (02-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 G63, 2020 Tesla Model S, 2020 Ford Raptor
Originally Posted by Deutsch100
100% would never happen here. I do not think we have any Mercedes owned and operated dealers left in the USA, do we? Years and Years ago we had Mercedes of Hollywood, which was our last corporate store.
Only one is Mercedes of Manhattan - "Mercedes-Benz Manhattan is your premier Mercedes-Benz dealership, proudly located in New York City. We are the only Mercedes-Benz dealership in the United States owned and directly operated by Mercedes-Benz."
Deutsch100 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G63 AMG
Is it true that the rain gutter around the roof is a plastic piece which prevents putting a proper rack up there?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:19 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 ML63 2015 G550 2016 G550 & (2) 2019 G550s
Originally Posted by Deutsch100
Not true, it would happen for sure here in the States. These new Gwags are in high demand and 300 miles is nothing.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 ML63 2015 G550 2016 G550 & (2) 2019 G550s
As far at the old vs new comments. Each version has it's +s and -s. We have both generations, a 2015 and two 2019s. The 2015 sits in Idaho as my wife's "grocery getter" because the older version is absolutely not a highway vehicle. The narrow stance and that horrible recirculating ball steering is exhautsting , and, at time, down right frightening (especially at any speeds). The new Gwag has updated steering and also an independent front suspension that replaces the old live-axle (rear is still live). Also, as an option, the suspension can further be enhanced by multi-mode adaptive dampers. Night and day handling upgrade from the previous generation, however, if you're not doing a lot of miles, then the older version is fine.

With regards to the width and more interior room, that's a huge plus for me, as I am a big person. If I was normal height and weight, the roomer cabin would have zero benefit.

Anyway, it's nice that both model year options are available.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sarlox:
Festertester (02-07-2019), places (02-07-2019)