MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   Sun Visors and Switches : CHEAPO (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/735202-sun-visors-switches-cheapo.html)

Eagles Nest 02-06-2019 09:03 PM

Sun Visors and Switches : CHEAPO

really ?... for the price one pays you think MB would update the sun visors and use metallic window switches instead of cheapo plastic from a 1978 civic or something....now that is truly sad. I want to see how long the paint on the switches last or worst the switch themselves. Really flimsy stuff.

efathalla 02-07-2019 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Eagles Nest (Post 7674881)
really ?... for the price one pays you think MB would update the sun visors and use metallic window switches instead of cheapo plastic from a 1978 civic or something....now that is truly sad. I want to see how long the paint on the switches last or worst the switch themselves. Really flimsy stuff.

You forget to mention both the rear headrest and cheap tear plastic center console.
I do not mention the proximity sensor for keyless entry.
WE ARE IN 2019 MB.

places 02-07-2019 09:05 AM

Cheaper plastics, MB has slowly moved this direction into the higher line models. Started with C's and slowly moved up, don't even use real wood anymore. I was told it all part of weight saving, but I'm sure cost savings too. Can't speak to the S but I had a loaner E this week and the quality of plastics felt cheap and hollow. Not much different than any other auto anymore. New world.

rustybear3 02-07-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by places (Post 7675195)
... don't even use real wood anymore..

Since when? My natural grain light brown elm wood trim is the real deal on my 2019! Trim options whether wood, aluminium, laquer, etc. are all available and just as nice as they were before. Do wish they'd bring the burl wood option back to the E series though.

places 02-07-2019 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by rustybear3 (Post 7675208)
Since when? My natural grain light brown elm wood trim is the real deal on my 2019! Trim options whether wood, aluminium, laquer, etc. are all available and just as nice as they were before. Do wish they'd bring the burl wood option back to the E series though.

It's a thin veneer vs solid wood. So yes, it's real wood but very thin and light. I would disagree that the wood is just as nice as before. Far from solid, lighter and more hollow. I've had half a dozen S classes and a couple of SL's and multiple E's and C's and can definitely tell the difference over the years. The higher line cars seem to feel more solid for sure, but it's not the same as before. Yes, I agree on the burl wood, beautiful and timeless.

Deutsch100 02-07-2019 10:01 AM

Up until model 2000, the S-Class was a TANK. Our 2008 S550 felt much better than our 2001 S500 for sure, but our 1996 S500 felt like a rolling piece of granite. Tank!!

I have also had 3 W124 E-Classes...and they felt almost as solid and heavy as an old S-Class.

Remember...many people would buy a Mercedes (very expensive before the lease craze and competitive rates began), and they would keep the car for 10-20+ years. A Mercedes used to be built to last "a lifetime". Mercedes almost bankrupted itself too. While it was beautiful and amazing that they used such high end and quality materials....they were not selling enough cars. Sad, but true.

places 02-07-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7675231)
Up until model 2000, the S-Class was a TANK. Our 2008 S550 felt much better than our 2001 S500 for sure, but our 1996 S500 felt like a rolling piece of granite. Tank!!

I have also had 3 W124 E-Classes...and they felt almost as solid and heavy as an old S-Class.

Remember...many people would buy a Mercedes (very expensive before the lease craze and competitive rates began), and they would keep the car for 10-20+ years. A Mercedes used to be built to last "a lifetime". Mercedes almost bankrupted itself too. While it was beautiful and amazing that they used such high end and quality materials....they were not selling enough cars. Sad, but true.

100%. Pre-2000 S class WERE a solid chunk of stone. I remember the thickness of the dual paned windows. MB probably can't afford to build to that standard again.They did improved in 2007/8, felt like an S again. I had a 2001and 2003 that were very nice but just didn't feel substantial like an S should, I guess that was the Chrysler influence then.

W124's were basically a smaller S. Never felt compromised.

Yes, the business model today is about turnover. Latest and greatest rules so longevity is not a priority. Shore up the CPO biz model through the lease trade-ins and done.

rustybear3 02-07-2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7675231)

I think most luxury cars have been going through that reduced material and quality phase for many decades. My experience has been with Cadillacs throughout the years. I've had 60 and 70 models as well as remembering my Dad's 54, 59 and 63 DeVilles. I've had everything including Eldorados and SLS models, and each successive year you can point to a downgrade or substitution of materials.

The biggest problem with all these earlier cars were the rust factor, here in the winter climates. A new Caddy could shows signs of rusting within as little of a couple years. You had no choice but to turn these cars in for newer ones...they'd be shot body wise in about a 5 year period. What an improvement in today's cars! Unless they are really old or beaten on, you seldom see a rusted out car on the highway today.

I think the interiors in the Mercedes have held up really fine over the years. Yes, just like all luxury vehicles, they take a little hit in materials to keep costs down. But all in all, I think these newer cars have some of the most beautiful interiors to date. Certainly the technology is first rate. Just my 2 cents.

Wassaby 02-07-2019 03:59 PM

Guys, slow down.. They had to find ways to get the wight of the car down. You cannot achieve EPA in 2019 by cutting a tree and install it in the car. I agree with some cheap plastic.