MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   2019 Bentayga vs 2019 g63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/735727-2019-bentayga-vs-2019-g63.html)

CDHG63 02-12-2019 04:50 PM

2019 Bentayga vs 2019 g63

Given the current availability of 2019 g63’s...very limited ...Waiting for my 2019 g63 (and yes my dealer is playing some games now) I decided to look at 2019 Bentayga v8....surprisingly capable vehicle...The lease rates are much better than g63...I will purchase 2019 g63....but this vehicle and its availability and pricing ...make it a contender...any thoughts? I did not test drive...I did not want to waste salespersons time at this stage of looking

Cheers

places 02-12-2019 05:07 PM

Not a fan here. Q7 platform (and some will say body). I'm sure it's a very nice SUV and as you said capable but not the best looking IMO. Take the Bentley badging and headlights and what do you have? Consider a G550? Urus?

Deutsch100 02-12-2019 05:34 PM

About a year ago we Bespoke ordered a new W12 (V-12) Bentayga from our local Bentley dealer. Gorgeous medium gray metallic with black nappa leather, piped in red, amazing walnut wood, tonnes of goodies, etc...

It arrived, and we were not very impressed. It looked like a deluxe Audi Q7 (which, let's be honest....IT IS). Our dealer let us take it home for 2 days, no contract (we have purchased 4 Bentleys and 5 Rolls-Royce from them, so they trusted us, LOL).

EVERY neighbor and friend that saw it thought it was an Audi :(

It drove amazingly well, V12 engine and tranny are flawless. Super comfortable.

Does not look, nor feel like a $265,000 SUV/car though. I would 100% rather have a loaded Q7 and save $180,000 :)

WoodlandsGuy 02-12-2019 07:51 PM

Spoke to a local dealer that took a customer trade of a Bentayga. Customer lost 150k on the trade. Get an Audi like other stated.

pateljb 02-12-2019 07:55 PM

The Bentayga is not selling at all so they have come up with creative lease options to move them. Last year they had Bentley on Demand program in LA, NY, and Dallas which was to give current owners a Bentayga in these cities for free,, just put in gas. Turn it when you are done whether a day or a week.
Its beautiful on the inside no doubt, but once you get out and look at it, not so great. In my opinion they really dropped the ball on the SUV. They had posted a loss of $80 million by last July summer due to it and the fact that the New GT has production delays. hate to see what the year endloss was.

Even though the Urus and Betayga share the Q7 platform, at least the Urus looks good and not like it was put together from the Q7 parts bin like the Bentayga. I'd consider the Urus before the Q7 or Bentayga. But honestly, a G is a G and our family loves them.

WoodlandsGuy 02-12-2019 07:59 PM

Have you seen the Q8? Awesome and also 170k cheaper than URUS. So you could also grab a G with the money you saved.

Sarlox 02-12-2019 11:28 PM

Come on guys, the Bentley is not an Audi, just as the Huracan is not an Audi (we've owned the Huracan, not the Bentayga) Yes, there are some Audi components (I would hope so, they own them) but to compare a Bentayga to a Q series Audi is nuts. Platforms are a starting point, not an ending point.

We have a Bentley GTS V8 Convertible and it is one of the most solid and fun car we've owned. The interior is the very best out there, no one comes close.

Ok, full disclosure, it's my wife's car - as no man should drive a convertible unless it's a RR Phantom Drophead.....................boy I'm going to catch hell for this post :boink:

places 02-12-2019 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlox (Post 7680243)
Come on guys, the Bentley is not an Audi, just as the Huracan is not an Audi (we've owned the Huracan, not the Bentayga) Yes, there are some Audi components (I would hope so, they own them) but to compare a Bentayga to a Q series Audi is nuts. Platforms are a starting point, not an ending point.

We have a Bentley GTS V8 Convertible and it is one of the most solid and fun car we've owned. The interior is the very best out there, no one comes close.

Ok, full disclosure, it's my wife's car - as no man should drive a convertible unless it's a RR Phantom Drophead.....................boy I'm going to catch hell for this post :boink:

Well, no it's not an Audi but it certainly does not look like a Bentley should. Take the headlights away and what do you really have looking back at you? The one feature about Bentley (and RR) is the fact that there are no other cars like them. You cannot mistake them for another make, period. Unfortunately for this SUV, that is not the case. When countless reviews, critics and car fans like ourselves compare this SUV to an Audi, this cannot be good. While I am certain that the fit, finish, quality is there, the styling is not. I bet they are over there right now working on the next re-fresh, and they will likely get it right because that is what they do.

As for your GTS V8, that's a helluva car. I would love to own one someday, as a hardtop. Also, I agree, as for interiors Bentley is tops. I wish MB would emulate some aspects of Bentley (built in screens for one). Cheers.

Sarlox 02-13-2019 12:17 AM

I agree with you on the looks part. I too was disappointed with the Bentayga's exterior. Front end..........killer, but the rest, too bad, because it really is an amazing vehicle on the road. Heavy, solid and tight. Way overpriced, which is why I think the V8 model will do better.

At the end of the day, you have to show value, even in the higher-end marques.

CrazyMD 02-13-2019 01:13 PM

Bentayga is the best SUV I've ever had hands down. Currently have 2019 Full Size Rover, 2018 g63, 2018 4x4 squared, and the Bentayga. In terms of comfort, speed, and ride quality, nothing is like the bentayga. Just my opinion.

CDHG63 02-13-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by WoodlandsGuy (Post 7680081)
Have you seen the Q8? Awesome and also 170k cheaper than URUS. So you could also grab a G with the money you saved.

Just took a peek...really like it...thank you

Jim Brady 02-13-2019 04:53 PM

Out of curiosity why would one compare a G which is a body on frame triple locking diffs for very rugged going with a unibody awd softened up ride and leather galore. Flame suit on.

CDHG63 02-13-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7680879)
Out of curiosity why would one compare a G which is a body on frame triple locking diffs for very rugged going with a unibody awd softened up ride and leather galore. Flame suit on.

Take a re-read of first post...Availability and favorable lease terms on Bentley...the 2019 g63 moved considerably closer to the daily "comfort" level of the Bentley and Range Rover---so cross comparisons are happening---evidenced by this groups ownership of both vehicles in some cases...I have yet to see a g63 or g550 (2013-2019) on any Rubicon, Ocotillo , or San Felipe off-road trips...or a Bentley for that matter. Maybe you haven't noticed...The 2019 G63 is pretty "leather galore" and rarely are the triple diffs needed...on-road or off-road.

I like my current g63...timeless design and drives on city streets like a better version of my Bronco....I have not driven the Bentayga yet....you only live once...might as well enjoy all the options---

Cheers

Jim Brady 02-14-2019 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by CDHG63 (Post 7680970)
Take a re-read of first post...Availability and favorable lease terms on Bentley...the 2019 g63 moved considerably closer to the daily "comfort" level of the Bentley and Range Rover---so cross comparisons are happening---evidenced by this groups ownership of both vehicles in some cases...I have yet to see a g63 or g550 (2013-2019) on any Rubicon, Ocotillo , or San Felipe off-road trips...or a Bentley for that matter. Maybe you haven't noticed...The 2019 G63 is pretty "leather galore" and rarely are the triple diffs needed...on-road or off-road.

I like my current g63...timeless design and drives on city streets like a better version of my Bronco....I have not driven the Bentayga yet....you only live once...might as well enjoy all the options---

Cheers

I get your point on the financial side. It is an easy comparison if you view both as comparable commodities. I don't think interiors by themselves make them comparable. I've seen a fair number of G's on the trails in AZ where dirt, gravel and boulders are a reality. To your point on off road usage, with our AZ monsoon season locking diffs are necessary to get through some of the roads that aren't paved. That is the very reason I ordered a G wagon. G's don't match lifted Rubicon's in owner numbers or on trails but the more affluent like something that isn't a Toyota Land Cruiser, or Rover's who's service dept drives owners elsewhere. Bentley is very smart in getting people to look at the Bentayga crossover suv with clever financing. My point is the Bentayga has carlike underpinnings made to look like a more than capable suv covered in luxurious materials. For those that never see the limitations will be very happy in their Bentayga.

drew138 03-04-2019 10:05 PM

deleted edit posted to wrong forum. fyi,

2sporty 03-06-2019 02:18 AM

This forum software seems buggy. My replies are appearing in different threads

GTBNYC 03-08-2019 01:21 AM

Other than the Urus, it is the best driving SUV out there. Too bad it’s very unattractive.

Sarlox 03-08-2019 01:50 AM

I like the rear end of the Cullinan and the front end on the Bentayga

dunderhi 03-08-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Brady (Post 7680879)

I agree to some degree, since after whittling down my utility vehicle choices it came down to two body on frame vehicles: The G and the Dodge Ram. I went with the G because it was easier (not cheaper) than having an extension added to my garage. The price point of the Dodge was quite appealing for what they were offering, but I just didn't want a vehicle that I needed to park outdoors.