MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   2014 Mercedes G63 PedalBox review (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/736456-2014-mercedes-g63-pedalbox-review.html)

CDHG63 02-20-2019 12:15 PM

2014 Mercedes G63 PedalBox review

While waiting for my 2019 g63 to arrive at dealer (and trying not to get taken advantage of by shady car dealer sales process), I stopped by Shoreline Motoring in Huntington Beach, CA this past weekend to look at some g63's that have been personalized by Shoreline. I have spoken to them (Paul and Ray) on the phone about some aftermarket rims/tires for a couple of my vehicles...their knowledge, honesty, and fair pricing was very impressive. They know what works/fits cars/trucks and their pricing is competitive with anyone...plus they do installation...the parking lot is full of Ferrari's , Lamborghini's , and yes one very cool sprinter van conversion / customization....they know vehicles!!!

I read about PedalBox and was curious about using it on my Range Rover and G63...the lazy pedal response is very annoying to me....great for off-road, but less than ideal around town. I decided to give the PedalBox a try....$250 installed with a 30 day trial period...figured why not and the owner, Paul, is a genuinely good person--so no real gamble.

I understand the function of what the pedalbox is doing...I know it is not making more horsepower...what I can say after using it for 5 days is that it dramatically improves the driving experience and seat of the pants feel for my 2014 G63...After 10 minutes of driving my g63 with the pedalbox engaged in the setting recommended by Shoreline...I am 100% convinced this upgrade is a must....I am a paying customer and not getting paid to say this...Give it a try, I cannot imagine any car enthusiast not enjoying the improved throttle response....and when you want/prefer lazy throttle response for off-road , snowy conditions, press a button and its back to stock....

I asked my dealership about pedalbox affecting my warranty and they said they have added them to new vehicles purchased by customers...so no warranty issues.

My wife felt the g63 was slow around town...it was...lots of turbo lag combined with the lazy throttle made it less than ideal...she felt it hesitated 0-20mph..it did....It doesn't anymore...she was amazed by the difference just by adding the Pedalbox...The G63 just plain drives better and I can leave it in comfort mode...much smoother shifting....I cannot believe $250 made such a big difference. She is getting one on her Range Rover this weekend.

If you live in SoCal, stop by Shoreline Motoring...they treat people with respect, courtesy, and are fair business people---Thank You to Paul and Ray!
Cheers

Tjandegi 02-20-2019 11:41 PM

Definitely a big fan of the pedalbox. I put one my R8 (sold now) and completely changed the driving experience for the better.

JesseRohr 02-21-2019 06:00 AM

I use SprintBooster on all my rides. Same product logic.

places 02-21-2019 09:27 AM

So what does it do? I live in the city and usually drive in 2nd or 3rd which makes it responsive and torquey

CDHG63 02-21-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by places (Post 7687305)
So what does it do? I live in the city and usually drive in 2nd or 3rd which makes it responsive and torquey

Very few car companies choose to have aggressive throttle settings as stock...Porsche, Ferrari, and the AMG GT are pretty good right from the factory...Most, if not all, modern cars use a drive by wire throttle ...meaning no physical throttle linkage from gas pedal to engine like the old days...think gas pedal , long cable / wire to carburetor....With modern cars the throttle pedal simply sends a digital signal to the cars ECU to determine how much gas (acceleration) is sent...some cars like the Range Rover and Mercedes G63 have a very lazy throttle tip-in...meaning the first first mm(millimeters) of throttle travel does very little ..this can be an advantage in off-road or snow or basically where traction is limited and you do not want to overwhelm the tires with too much throttle....The PedalBox is a small device about the size of a book of matches that contains multiple settings or programs that you can choose (think sport vs economy ) that is inserted by way a of cable to receive the digital data signal from the gas pedal (when you apply gas) to the ECU to basically greatly increase the amount of throttle...It eliminates the dead space or movement of the throttle that previously did very little to accelerate the car...most people just live with this and give it more gas (i.e. flex your foot) to compensate....The PedalBox makes your car more responsive to small throttle applications...downshifts quicker for overtaking, etc....Pretty simple but elegant solution to what is in many peoples mind, a negative--a lazy throttle.

The device is small and is typically left under dash or attached to a small area on transmission tunnel....your car will feel more responsive and be more responsive...PedalBox has 30 trial period...so if its not for you...return it.

Cheers
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...58370e1be3.jpg

places 02-21-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by CDHG63 (Post 7687527)
Very few car companies choose to have aggressive throttle settings as stock...Porsche, Ferrari, and the AMG GT are pretty good right from the factory...Most, if not all, modern cars use a drive by wire throttle ...meaning no physical throttle linkage from gas pedal to engine like the old days...think gas pedal , long cable / wire to carburetor....With modern cars the throttle pedal simply sends a digital signal to the cars ECU to determine how much gas (acceleration) is sent...some cars like the Range Rover and Mercedes G63 have a very lazy throttle tip-in...meaning the first first mm(millimeters) of throttle travel does very little ..this can be an advantage in off-road or snow or basically where traction is limited and you do not want to overwhelm the tires with too much throttle....The PedalBox is a small device about the size of a book of matches that contains multiple settings or programs that you can choose (think sport vs economy ) that is inserted by way a of cable to receive the digital data signal from the gas pedal (when you apply gas) to the ECU to basically greatly increase the amount of throttle...It eliminates the dead space or movement of the throttle that previously did very little to accelerate the car...most people just live with this and give it more gas (i.e. flex your foot) to compensate....The PedalBox makes your car more responsive to small throttle applications...downshifts quicker for overtaking, etc....Pretty simple but elegant solution to what is in many peoples mind, a negative--a lazy throttle.

The device is small and is typically left under dash or attached to a small area on transmission tunnel....your car will feel more responsive and be more responsive...PedalBox has 30 trial period...so if its not for you...return it.

Cheers
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...58370e1be3.jpg

Great explanation, thank you!

One more question, can you turn it on and off? I assume based on the picture that you can.

CDHG63 02-21-2019 01:43 PM

Yes...it has a "stock" setting that does not alter the throttle---

CDHG63 02-21-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by places (Post 7687536)
Great explanation, thank you!

One more question, can you turn it on and off? I assume based on the picture that you can.

Yes, The Pedalbox has a "stock" setting ...not really a turn on/off button --but the throttle input is not altered ---so essentially a pass through---Cheers

mrtonyn 06-28-2019 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by CDHG63 (Post 7687583)
Yes, The Pedalbox has a "stock" setting ...not really a turn on/off button --but the throttle input is not altered ---so essentially a pass through---Cheers

Any issues or hiccups since you had this pedalbox device installed for the last few months?
It should not affect smog check correct?

horse86 06-28-2019 09:19 AM

use a sprint booster on my M5....agreed they are awesome

Crfiv 06-28-2019 02:04 PM

Any noticeable impact on MPG?

C240-Merc 06-28-2019 03:26 PM

This sounds like an advertisement.

mrtonyn 06-28-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7790235)
use a sprint booster on my M5....agreed they are awesome

How long has the sprint booster has been in the M5?
Any issues like check engine light coming on or smog check issues since installing it?

horse86 07-01-2019 10:31 AM

I've had it on M5 for a few years now...not many thousands of miles though bc its my weekend car. No CEL regarding the SB, emissions fine. All this does is increase the signal output when you push the pedal. Think 1/2 throttle when you push 1/4.

mrtonyn 07-01-2019 11:09 AM

Great analogy....
thank you

CDHG63 07-01-2019 05:47 PM

Not an advertisement

Originally Posted by C240-Merc (Post 7790500)
This sounds like an advertisement.

Hi—-Not an advertisement , but a happy customer endorsement...I have used it for months now and really like the way it eliminated dead space or lazy throtttle...again....some people do not mind this so it is an acquired taste...I put one on my 2017 Range Rover v8—that car had the worst throttle of any car I have owned...great for snow ...but not what I enjoy/want for city driving.

I also enjoyed my positive buying experience from Shoreline...the owner and staff were very polite and were helpful...I like to endorse people that have bricks and mortar businesses with good people that know their products ...our country is moving away from bricks and mortar to internet based businesses...nothing wrong with the internet ...but when you need service ...it is nice to have a place to go where they can handle the installation properly and stand behind their service/product...

cheers

Cheers—

CDHG63 07-01-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crfiv (Post 7790450)
Any noticeable impact on MPG?

It has probably made it worse to be honest..I find myself rolling on the throttle more often...for me, it encourages more spirited driving....the car just feels more responsive ...it is not making more horsepower but the more aggressive / responsive throttle is what should have been programmed from the factory...in my opinion.

Cheers