MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   How does the 2019 G63 compare to its competitors ? (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/741166-how-does-2019-g63-compare-its-competitors.html)

globalist 04-08-2019 12:35 PM

How does the 2019 G63 compare to its competitors ?

Have a 24 month lease on a 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography and I really love it. Thinking ahead and casually browsing. Drove a new G550 and to be honest, I preferred the Range Rover by a pretty large margin. I have never driven the new G63 but like the idea of it and was talked into just ordering in the meantime since the deposit is refundable and it will take a year for the vehicle to arrive.

Anyone drive G63 and it’s competitors and have any insights? Cullinan is interesting but I think two Rolls is a bit tacky. Also looking at Urus.

places 04-08-2019 02:19 PM

2018 G63 here. You really can't compare it anything. The only common denominator at this level is exclusivity and price. It's probably one of the most impractical purchases you can make, but everytime I get in I say to myself its worth every penny. The feeling you get from a G is special. It's not trying to be anything, it's original.

For daily use the RR is better on almost every way. The G drives like a truck, there is nothing luxurious about the ride itself when comparing to a RR for daily use. I tell friends it's the world most luxurious jeep/truck, but it's a G and there is nothing like it period. The newer gen is definitely improved in every way. Independent and adaptive suspension (as opposed to a live axle), more luxurious interior, modern steering (as opposed to recirc. ball), more driver friendly tech for a better ride.

Good luck and let us know.

drew138 04-08-2019 03:01 PM

New G is difficult to benchmark as not many are out there and owners strongly biased. Myself included. I've read most every independent review of the new G class and almost all say that this new version is currently the one to beat in terms of all around performance. The 550 and G63 are similar but the G63 much more suited for performance and with the different suspension setup options I'd be hard pressed to understand why anyone would get the G550 unless you planned on serious off road use. In my humble opinion, the G63 and RR SVA are very close and keep with the vision of a performance focused SUV. I find the Urus, Cullinan, Bentagya to be highly uninspired and fantastic way to blow a lot of capital on a fast depreciating asset. Leasing a G63 is less attractive so if you are looking at a lease you are probably better off with the RR and their more favorable lease setups. I'm looking forward to more head to head comparisons between the G63, Range Rovers including the new Defenders whenever they show up. :-) FWIW, I also think we'll see more year over year changes along with more standard changes in facelifts in the new G class than we have seen in previous versions. Good luck with your search!

Deutsch100 04-08-2019 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by globalist (Post 7726798)
Have a 24 month lease on a 2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography and I really love it. Thinking ahead and casually browsing. Drove a new G550 and to be honest, I preferred the Range Rover by a pretty large margin. I have never driven the new G63 but like the idea of it and was talked into just ordering in the meantime since the deposit is refundable and it will take a year for the vehicle to arrive.

Anyone drive G63 and it’s competitors and have any insights? Cullinan is interesting but I think two Rolls is a bit tacky. Also looking at Urus.

For many years (2012-2106) we had 2 Rolls and a Bentley! If you like the Cullinan and can afford it...there is nothing tacky about owning two Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. With our 2 Phantoms, we felt the exact opposite of tacky ;)

ReturnoftheG 04-08-2019 09:12 PM

I can only comment on looks as I haven’t driven any of these, G63 in order. I know it’s not what you’re looking for here, but my opinion - I wasn’t into the Cullinan until I saw one in person the other day, they are gorgeous inside and out. But twice the price of G63. Urus is a dog IMO, looks like an Aztek. Bentayga is significantly lacking in tech.

globalist 04-08-2019 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deutsch100 (Post 7726939)
For many years (2012-2106) we had 2 Rolls and a Bentley! If you like the Cullinan and can afford it...there is nothing tacky about owning two Rolls-Royce Motor Cars. With our 2 Phantoms, we felt the exact opposite of tacky ;)

Haha, but surely you had other “normal” vehicles? I absolutely love my Rolls, but I live in NYC, drive myself half of the time so need a daily driver/workhorse. I’m not sold on only having Rolls Royce, Ferraris to get me around town. I want something that blends in and can take a beating. I’m not sure I want to be driving a Cullinan with scuffed up bumpers, etc. I need something “normal” like a Range Rover or a G-Wagon. Urus is pretty expensive but far cheaper than the Cullinan and blends in.

Festertester 04-08-2019 11:59 PM

IMHO you cannot compare Range Rover and g - totally different vehicles. Sure, many folks (incl. myself) cross shop, but not comparable set up. Did you know g’s dimensions are equal to or smaller than Toyota 4Runner? It’s a speciality / niche vehicle that others aren’t, period.

jrh179 04-09-2019 12:05 AM

In terms of appearance, Range Rover is a very nice looking vehicle and great to drive. Had a 2006 RR Supercharged. Very comfortable truck, but was in and out of the service garage CONSTANTLY. Depreciation was also horrendous. Paid around $95k for the RRSC brand new (picked one off the lot) and when I traded it in in 2009 I got 30-some thousand for it. Not that I expect cars to appreciate in value but I really do look at depreciation as a factor when buying a car. The G’s really hold their value after the first year of depreciation is out. Lots of stuff in the RR wore out in a short amount of time too. I’m talking about paint peeling and fading, leather cracking, etc. And then little mechanical things breaking constantly. Range Rovers also have become a dime a dozen. They’re everywhere. Unless you’re in a major city like LA or NY, you don’t see G’s nearly as much as RR. I don’t drive the car for attention, but I like having something that’s unique. Love the service I get from my MB dealer too. They come to my house, pick up the car and leave me a loaner whenever I need service. My closest LR dealer (about 150 miles away) had an air about it and I thought they were extremely snobby. Cullinan is a totally different beast and I’m sure super luxurious. The Bentley SUV is absolutely hideous IMO. About as bad as that new X7.

Deutsch100 04-09-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by jrh179 (Post 7727385)
In terms of appearance, Range Rover is a very nice looking vehicle and great to drive. Had a 2006 RR Supercharged. Very comfortable truck, but was in and out of the service garage CONSTANTLY. Depreciation was also horrendous. Paid around $95k for the RRSC brand new (picked one off the lot) and when I traded it in in 2009 I got 30-some thousand for it. Not that I expect cars to appreciate in value but I really do look at depreciation as a factor when buying a car. The G’s really hold their value after the first year of depreciation is out. Lots of stuff in the RR wore out in a short amount of time too. I’m talking about paint peeling and fading, leather cracking, etc. And then little mechanical things breaking constantly. Range Rovers also have become a dime a dozen. They’re everywhere. Unless you’re in a major city like LA or NY, you don’t see G’s nearly as much as RR. I don’t drive the car for attention, but I like having something that’s unique. Love the service I get from my MB dealer too. They come to my house, pick up the car and leave me a loaner whenever I need service. My closest LR dealer (about 150 miles away) had an air about it and I thought they were extremely snobby. Cullinan is a totally different beast and I’m sure super luxurious. The Bentley SUV is absolutely hideous IMO. About as bad as that new X7.

WOW....I had the EXACT opposite experience with Range Rover. When I traded my 2011 Full Size Supercharged Range Rover for a BMW 750i, I got more than I owed and when I traded my 2014 Full Size Range Rover Supercharged for a 2016 Porsche 911 S....again, I got more than I owed. The Porsche dealer told us that most Porsche models, The G-Class and Full Size Range Rovers do amazingly well with holding value; but not RR Sport.

Also, I had 5 Range Rovers, and only 1 was in and out of Service (it was a nightmare), but the other 4 were amazing!

jrh179 04-09-2019 10:46 AM

I would say that maybe the newer RR’s are better for reliability, which probably helps their value. I had a bad experience with the 2006 and since the dealership was far away, never went back to RR. I have friends who buy Porsches and all have had really good trade in experiences for value. My mother gets a new ML/GLE about every 4 years and sometimes trade in is great, sometimes it’s not so great.

Deutsch100 04-09-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jrh179 (Post 7727594)
I would say that maybe the newer RR’s are better for reliability, which probably helps their value. I had a bad experience with the 2006 and since the dealership was far away, never went back to RR. I have friends who buy Porsches and all have had really good trade in experiences for value. My mother gets a new ML/GLE about every 4 years and sometimes trade in is great, sometimes it’s not so great.

My 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged was a NIGHTMARE. I bought it Sat evening, and it was flat bedded to the dealer on Monday morning, where is spent probably 2-3 days a week for about 6 months. It was so bad, and I was so over it....one afternoon I was driving with my newborn son in the car, and I just pulled into the first car dealership I saw, luckily it was Audi and not Kia, LOL. Traded it right on the spot. This 06 was so bad, the A/C would go off when putting the car in Reverse (one of MANY problems). Jag/RR dealership told me this is 100% impossible and they did not believe me. That was until they called me, and said....The A/C does go off when the car gets put into R :-O #crazy

Festertester 04-09-2019 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jrh179 (Post 7727594)

not really - from a guy who bought brand new 2016 Range Rover autobiography with frequent trips to workshop and then custom ordered 2017 Range Rover autobiography and even with a new one, many trips to workshop later, decided to get rid of it and never get another JLR vehicle again!

jrh179 04-10-2019 01:57 AM

I won’t buy another RR again. Once I drove my first G in 2016, I knew it was something special. I live in the country so I do go off roading 2 or 3x a year. Big difference for me between the G and the RR—in the RR, I never felt right going off road. Always felt like the RR was too fancy of a truck to be off roading in. Even though the G is more expensive, it just feels like it’s in it’s element and getting it dirty is fun. :nix:

GTBNYC 04-10-2019 02:40 PM

I have and love both and would never get rid of either of them. I've been lucky with Range Rovers. Had a 2014 and never had a single issue with that. Haven't had any issue with my 2019 either. Also have a new G63 without any issues and they're just different. I feel the Range Rover is still more luxurious and has more tech features than the G, especially if you're a rear seat passenger. G63 is more rugged and a fun toy.

Sarlox 04-10-2019 03:27 PM

The Gwag is a man's car. The Range Rovers are for chicks :eek:

Oh ****, now I'm in trouble...

places 04-10-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sarlox (Post 7728738)
The Gwag is a man's car. The Range Rovers are for chicks :eek:

Oh ****, now I'm in trouble...

Now you've gone and done it! Waiting...

jrh179 04-11-2019 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7728702)
I have and love both and would never get rid of either of them. I've been lucky with Range Rovers. Had a 2014 and never had a single issue with that. Haven't had any issue with my 2019 either. Also have a new G63 without any issues and they're just different. I feel the Range Rover is still more luxurious and has more tech features than the G, especially if you're a rear seat passenger. G63 is more rugged and a fun toy.

Spot on.