MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   Richie-Richies Switching from G63 to Jeep Wranglers?! (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/741177-richie-richies-switching-g63-jeep-wranglers.html)

JetRanger 04-08-2019 02:51 PM

Richie-Richies Switching from G63 to Jeep Wranglers?!

https://www.hotcars.com/15-influential-people-who-drive-jeeps/

JesseRohr 04-10-2019 07:26 AM

The new Jeep JL (latest iteration of Wrangler) is an excellent vehicle. What's the surprise?

ketjupiter 04-10-2019 07:46 AM

I have a G Wagon on order... but also bought one of the newly redesigned 2018 Wrangler Rubicons, which i had lifted 2".. the new Rubicons come with leather, heated seats, navigation, blind spot detectors, etc, and i can take the top off. The jeep is a great "fun car" and i actually end up driving it more than my daily driver 2017 Audi R8. i am excited about my G Wagon, which i have about 30 more days to finalize my order. Will be interesting to see which car gets the most used upon the G's arrival.

JetRanger 04-10-2019 01:00 PM

The coolest aspect about a new 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is you can feel truly great about actually taking it out into the boondocks, climbing over ginormous boulders, scratching and denting it all up, maybe even rolling it over and totaling it, and all along, keeping a mile wide smile plastered across your happy camper face. Wranglers are cheap enough toys to be used and abused, wrecked-up, rode hard, and put away wet and damaged. Wranglers are affordable toys you can truly enjoy whilst doing real rock climbing.

OTOH, no one in their right mind is ever going to actually take their brand new, near $200,000 G63 anywhere even remotely close to an unpaved road, other than when they sit at their desk daydreaming and fantasizing about being able to afford smashing-up their new, fully loaded G63 out in the boondocks. They love thinking about the fact that a G63 has huge off-road capabilities, and some may even go to the extent of putting big fat tires on em, to further their off-road fantasy. But, in a moment of brutal honesty with themselves, they know they surely ain’t never gunna actually follow through, and actually do this. This phenomenon is an example of what economists refer to as “reservation demand,” or an economic demand associated with placing a positive value on some good, service, or activity, that one knows they never actually will do, nor consume.

dunderhi 04-10-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 7728611)
The coolest aspect about a new 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is you can feel truly great about actually taking it out into the boondocks, climbing over ginormous boulders, scratching and denting it all up, maybe even rolling it over and totaling it, and all along, keeping a mile wide smile plastered across your happy camper face. Wranglers are cheap enough toys to be used and abused, wrecked-up, rode hard, and put away wet and damaged. Wranglers are affordable toys you can truly enjoy whilst doing real rock climbing.

OTOH, no one in their right mind is ever going to actually take their brand new, near $200,000 G63 anywhere even remotely close to an unpaved road, other than when they sit at their desk daydreaming and fantasizing about being able to afford smashing-up their new, fully loaded G63 out in the boondocks. They love thinking about the fact that a G63 has huge off-road capabilities, and some may even go to the extent of putting big fat tires on em, to further their off-road fantasy. But, in a moment of brutal honesty with themselves, they know they surely ain’t never gunna actually follow through, and actually do this. This phenomenon is an example of what economists refer to as “reservation demand,” or an economic demand associated with placing a positive value on some good, service, or activity, that one knows they never actually will do, nor consume.

Luckily, my G was only $135k, so it can still get abused without remorse. I’ve already lost count on the number of scratches, but since I’ve only had it washed once, you can’t really see all of them.

Snipe10 04-10-2019 10:37 PM

Good for you dunderhi! I stopped stressing out about scratching cars, watches and all other stuff as I figured if I'm not going to use it, why am I buying it!

JetRanger 04-10-2019 10:45 PM

Light scratches from small tree branches and swirl marks from car washes where such scuff marks are literally not visible when the car is dirty are one thing. Such light scratches and swirl marks can easily and routinely be removed by a good detail shop via a nice clay bar job. I’ m talking about serious, “real” off-roading damage, as is experienced by hard core Jeepers. These guys’ Jeeps routinely suffer big huge dents, large and very deep scratches that literally tear off the body paint, right down to the Jeep’s shiny base metal. These boys routinely accept the risk of rolling their Jeeps over onto their sides when negotiating huge boulders, severely deep ruts, and all sorts of big obstacles, sometimes even rolling them onto their roof tops, and occasionally totaling them. IMHO, a $135k car seems like a bit much for truly serious off-roading, but to each, his own. It’s all good!

dunderhi 04-11-2019 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 7729064)
Light scratches from small tree branches and swirl marks from car washes where such scuff marks are literally not visible when the car is dirty are one thing. Such light scratches and swirl marks can easily and routinely be removed by a good detail shop via a nice clay bar job. I’ m talking about serious, “real” off-roading damage, as is experienced by hard core Jeepers. These guys’ Jeeps routinely suffer big huge dents, large and very deep scratches that literally tear off the body paint, right down to the Jeep’s shiny base metal. These boys routinely accept the risk of rolling their Jeeps over onto their sides when negotiating huge boulders, severely deep ruts, and all sorts of big obstacles, sometimes even rolling them onto their roof tops, and occasionally totaling them. IMHO, a $135k car seems like a bit much for truly serious off-roading, but to each, his own. It’s all good!

No problem. I don’t plan on rolling over my G every weekend, but I don’t think anyone who buys a ‘19 Wrangler plans to do so either. That said, I won’t rule out rolling over my G at some point. After all, we all make mistakes by overestimating our off-road driving ability. So far, it’s only been some light off-roading, but when I retire in the next year or two, I plan to do more extensive traveling and take my G on the road, trail, and/or cranny less traveled. This is why I bought a G and not a GT. It’s also why the G550 made more sense to me given it’s more straightforward off-roading capability. As a bonus, with the money I “saved,” I convinced Mrs. Dunderhi that it would be reasonable to also have a motorcycle parked in my garage. I’m still shopping for the right bike (Ducati’s are looking good). Anyone here carry a bike with their hitch?

WatchTimes 05-05-2019 12:12 PM

A guy local to me had a H1 done up for SERIOUS off roading and he used it just for that!
He got bored of it and sold it.
He bought a G 6X6 and takes it wheeling all the time.
His attitude is that he can afford it to buy it, its meant to be used for that so if your not going to use it just buy a picture to look at...
I gotta respect that!

Snipe10 05-05-2019 03:57 PM

I'm switching too, have a 19 G550 on order but am going to let her go and wait for a 2020, decided to buy a Jeep instead.

WatchTimes 05-05-2019 04:32 PM

My first car was a new 1989 Wrangler Islander. In late 07 I decided I wanted something fun again so I bought a new 08 Wrangler Rubicon UL brand new. Plans were 2.5 in OME lift, front and rear bumpers etc. I had death wobble issues within a few weeks of getting the Jeep (no mods), Jeep said nothing wrong blah blah blah (same as they told everyone). Did the lift still had same issues (lift was done professionally, tires were properly balanced etc). Ended up selling it and then a year later bought and 11 new. Again same issues, same denial. Sold it and was at AEV for a meeting and saw their package for the JL and fell in love, debated a Gladiator but AEV is just finally getting ready to start full builds on the JL, likely a year out on the Gladiator and I did not want to wait that long. Was getting ready to order a JL but have heard of death wobble from a friend who owns a JL and have read some mention of it on the forums. Not something I want to risk again with my little kid in the car. I decided instead of having 70-80K tied up in an AEV Jeep Id rather spend a little more and go for a 18 G63 so here I am and the search has begun. Be it a G or a Jeep, most people pick these as they want something unique and capable... If they use it for its intentions or not its nice to know its capable should you need it.... You really cant go wrong with either one! I just want something more unique and not seen as often in my area. Being in Metro Detroit you see TONS of the new American cars.

carforhire 05-06-2019 10:59 PM

I feel like most people I know that have Jeep's have other cars also. I think that's the beauty of the G, you can have a Jeep and an S class for example or you can just get a G and have both at once. Love that about both the Gclass and Range Rover. Their capabilities are amazing. I would clear bra and just enjoy it, life is short.

BIGBALZE55AMG 05-07-2019 09:44 PM

I traded a S550 and wrangler for a new G! Jeeps are fun, but, the new G550 is the best of both worlds.

WatchTimes 11-19-2019 11:14 AM

OK I have had several Wranglers BUT to get a Wrangler Id want I will be close to 100K for an AEV conversion.
The Jeep will be worth half that in 2 years....
The G is more luxurious and had a better resale in general.
You also aren't nearly as likely to see 16 year olds driving a G around unless they borrowed mommies G

Ersatzs2 11-19-2019 12:02 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...cf128af757.jpg
1950 CJ3A
I'm a huge Jeep fan, but sorta lost interest after Willys Overland got merged into Kaiser Motors. When Kaiser sold to AMC, and they started making rounded fenders, I completely lost track of the Marque. Still hanging on to my authentic Jeeps until they make a true replacement.

dgi 11-19-2019 04:07 PM

I dont see any value in either the G-wagon or the Jeep Wrangler as a new purchase

Why buy a new Wrangler Rubicon (Easily $50K+) when a pre-owned W463 can be had?

Warranty aside that is.

$200K for a new G63 is also ridiculous unless you HAVE TO HAVE the new hotness.

2016-AMG-G63 12-10-2021 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 7729064)

Old post but as someone who ran the Rubicon Trail in my 2019 Jeep Rubicon just recently, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

People who "wheel" do not commonly damage their vehicles. Pinstriping here and there, sure. Dents and dings to the armor, sure. But the pros don't just go out there and trash their vehicle - be it a $50k Jeep or a $200k G Wagen. I've wheeled all over Colorado, and have run nearly every technical trail out here without anything more than minor cosmetic issues to show for it.

I just got into a 2016 AMG G63 and it will be wheeled extensively. It's what they are made for, and if you can afford one, you should be able to afford to use it as it was intended.

streborx 12-10-2021 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2016-AMG-G63 (Post 8471322)
Old post but as someone who ran the Rubicon Trail in my 2019 Jeep Rubicon just recently, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

People who "wheel" do not commonly damage their vehicles. Pinstriping here and there, sure. Dents and dings to the armor, sure. But the pros don't just go out there and trash their vehicle - be it a $50k Jeep or a $200k G Wagen. I've wheeled all over Colorado, and have run nearly every technical trail out here without anything more than minor cosmetic issues to show for it.

I just got into a 2016 AMG G63 and it will be wheeled extensively. It's what they are made for, and if you can afford one, you should be able to afford to use it as it was intended.

Still, it's amusing to see what gets hauled out of Moab on trailers after Jeep Week every April (lol).

JetRanger 12-10-2021 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2016-AMG-G63 (Post 8471322)

Lots of Wranglers and Gladiators routinely suffer significant paint scratches, dents, dings, tail lamps busted and/or torn off, etc. on the trails, navigating over big boulders, scraping big tree limbs, and the like. I’ve been Jeeping off-road for 30 years as part of my job navigating to/from remote mtn top 2-way radio repeater sites, mostly running on lamo forest service and DNR roads, many of which are in really bad shape, to put it mildly. Never even one single time have I ever seen, or come across a G, driving up or down these roads. I’ve seen tons of 4x4 pickups, and other 4-wheeler vehicles, though.

I seriously doubt folks with $200k+ G’s, or even newer Land Rovers, are willing to seriously traverse such conditions, and risk inflicting significant damage.

2016-AMG-G63 12-11-2021 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 8471420)
Lots of Wranglers and Gladiators routinely suffer significant paint scratches, dents, dings, tail lamps busted and/or torn off, etc. on the trails, navigating over big boulders, scraping big tree limbs, and the like. I’ve been Jeeping off-road for 30 years as part of my job navigating to/from remote mtn top 2-way radio repeater sites, mostly running on lamo forest service and DNR roads, many of which are in really bad shape, to put it mildly. Never even one single time have I ever seen, or come across a G, driving up or down these roads. I’ve seen tons of 4x4 pickups, and other 4-wheeler vehicles, though.

I seriously doubt folks with $200k+ G’s, or even newer Land Rovers, are willing to seriously traverse such conditions, and risk inflicting significant damage.

A couple of things.
1) Agree to disagree on damage and wheeling. I’ve been doing it recreationally for over 20 years throughout Colorado, Utah and California. Real damage is rare. Superficial damage is common.
2) Your premise is flawed on why G Wagons aren’t on trails. The people who buy them aren’t making a calculation on whether it’s “worth it” to risk damaging their rigs. Wheeling simply isn’t on their radar. It’s not part of their lifestyle and they couldn’t care less how capable a G Wagon is. For them the purchase is status and fun to drive. No one dropping $200k on a toy is worried about money—that’s not the reason they are not on trails.

streborx 12-11-2021 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 2016-AMG-G63 (Post 8471609)
A couple of things.
1) Agree to disagree on damage and wheeling. I’ve been doing it recreationally for over 20 years throughout Colorado, Utah and California. Real damage is rare. Superficial damage is common.
2) Your premise is flawed on why G Wagons aren’t on trails. The people who buy them aren’t making a calculation on whether it’s “worth it” to risk damaging their rigs. Wheeling simply isn’t on their radar. It’s not part of their lifestyle and they couldn’t care less how capable a G Wagon is. For them the purchase is status and fun to drive. No one dropping $200k on a toy is worried about money—that’s not the reason they are not on trails.

I live on the periphery of the San Juans, and have a G and 2 Jeeps. When I off-road, I drive one of the Jeeps, mostly because (like the highways) there are lunatics everywhere, usually preoccupied with taking selfies, and believing that high clearance and 4WD conveys wheeling expertise. I posted some photos in an earlier thread of novices tackling Black Bear Pass -- the reason I don't even ride a mountain bike there.

MikeHoncho 12-11-2021 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 7728611)

Wranglers are under-engineered, over-priced, under-powered crap. Then, you have to invest 30k in aftermarket accessories to make it work offroad. Most never leave the mall parking lot.

MikeHoncho 12-11-2021 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by streborx (Post 8471677)
I live on the periphery of the San Juans, and have a G and 2 Jeeps. When I off-road, I drive one of the Jeeps, mostly because (like the highways) there are lunatics everywhere, usually preoccupied with taking selfies, and believing that high clearance and 4WD conveys wheeling expertise. I posted some photos in an earlier thread of novices tackling Black Bear Pass -- the reason I don't even ride a mountain bike there.

I have a ranch North of Telluride, and one in Central Utah, and a lifted G63 is my goto rig for getting in.

2016-AMG-G63 12-11-2021 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeHoncho (Post 8471996)
Wranglers are under-engineered, over-priced, under-powered crap. Then, you have to invest 30k in aftermarket accessories to make it work offroad. Most never leave the mall parking lot.

This is a ridiculous comment. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

I just got out of a 2019 JLU Rubicon, and I ran 65 different trails in it, including the actual Rubicon Trail. That rig did the hardest trails in Colorado, Utah and California. There’s no chance my G-Wagon could do most of those trails without serious damage.

The Jeep had zero issues. It was a stock rig except for a Mopar lift (factory option), 35” tires and a winch I installed in the (factory steel) bumper.

So settle down with your clearly non-firsthand knowledge about Jeep engineering. After all, there is a reason certain vehicles hold their value - Jeeps hold their value as well as just about anything.

Not bashing G wagons, but Jeeps are overpriced? GTFO with that.

MikeHoncho 12-11-2021 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2016-AMG-G63 (Post 8472009)
This is a ridiculous comment. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

I just got out of a 2019 JLU Rubicon, and I ran 65 different trails in it, including the actual Rubicon Trail. That rig did the hardest trails in Colorado, Utah and California. There’s no chance my G-Wagon could do most of those trails without serious damage.

The Jeep had zero issues. It was a stock rig except for a Mopar lift (factory option), 35” tires and a winch I installed in the (factory steel) bumper.

So settle down with your clearly non-firsthand knowledge about Jeep engineering. After all, there is a reason certain vehicles hold their value - Jeeps hold their value as well as just about anything.

Not bashing G wagons, but Jeeps are overpriced? GTFO with that.

Ive owned many jeeps from Wilys to a Jk Brute conversion I had to give away because they hold their value so well. I stand by my statement. The only reason Wranglers sold at all was that they offered the only vehicle that you could remove the top on. They will have to up their game to keep up with the Bronco, now. Take the 22's and low profile tires off your Gwagon and use it like it is intended. I live in the places you visit to "offroad".