MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   G350d May Yet Arrive in US! (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/742192-g350d-may-yet-arrive-us.html)

JetRanger 04-18-2019 02:28 PM

G350d May Yet Arrive in US!

So, there’s been a rampant folktale running around these parts that MB will never bring the new Euro G350d to the USA because of diesel certification issues in our country. However, I just built a 2019 MB Sprinter passenger van, including the diesel motor (I believe it is the new straight 6 diesel). Specifying the optional diesel for my USA build was a non-issue. BTW, I’ve never seen a build that doubles the price of a car. The standard height roof Sprinter passenger van with standard wheelbase has a base price of $42k. I tricked it out with most every option, and it came up to double this, or $84k. This price includes a mammoth EFW of 7 yrs/140k mi. Anyways, if one can order a 2019 US MB van equipped with a diesel motor, I find it hard to believe there would be any issues with an oil burner in the G. Now, maybe it has something to do with the Sprinter being a van, or it’s a marketing consideration? But, if it’s the latter, let’s just please don’t declare as if it’s a verified fact that the G350d is a non-starter because of diesel engine certification issues in the US. Makes for a nice sounding story, of course, but truth be told, we are all just speculating on this, even the infinite wisdom car mag speculators, and none of us know for a fact. Let’s wait and see if MBUSA may release some sort of an official statement on this matter, at some time in the future. Who knows, but at this point, I’m holding out at least some hope for an oil burner equipped G in the US! WhooHoo!

Deutsch100 04-19-2019 10:04 AM

I would do back flips and cart wheels if the 350d G came to the USA. I hope I am very wrong, but I do not think there is a chance in hell that Mercedes will bring an oil burning G to the USA. Even when they were "allowed to" and we had USA diesel models for the GLE/ML, S- Class, E-Class, GLK.....NO diesel G.

We can all thank VW for ruining our amazing diesels in the USA!!

hutch300 04-19-2019 11:50 AM

I would LOVE a diesel G. I had two diesel ML's and currently in my first month with a RR Sport TD6 and love having the diesel again.

JetRanger 04-19-2019 12:11 PM

The Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator fans are going absolutely nutzo waiting for the diesel motor in CY 2020. Seems like diesel folks are downright passionate about their oil burners. It’s a shane, but I’ve read that even in Europe, the end of the diesel car motor is not far off. They are trying to go all electric.

mercedesmax 04-19-2019 06:37 PM

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Sprinter is a different animal. There is a business case to be made there.
Not with the G Wagen.

Deutsch100 04-20-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mercedesmax (Post 7736616)
Not. Gonna. Happen.

Sprinter is a different animal. There is a business case to be made there.
Not with the G Wagen.

1,000,000% agree with you! Sadly, Diesel is moribund. Even in Europe, where for quite a while Diesel outsold Petrol....Diesel is dying and Europe as a continent is hammering the nails in Diesel's coffin as I type this.

F*ck you Volkswagen!!! Wankers!

JetRanger 04-20-2019 05:11 PM

It’s easy to blame the diesel cheaters, for sure, do it myself in moments of frustration. But, sadly I think this excuse is at least somewhat superficial. The real answer is the tremendous influential power of the politics, especially when coupled with the marketplace free hand of competition, which are bound and determined to kill off ICE, be it gas or diesel. Our kids will see the day of no more ICE, and likely mandatory electric vehicles. Sadly, by 2040, I believe private car ownership will begin to decline, and we’ll start changing things up. As Elon sees the world, we will summon a remotely managed electric autopilot pod to take us to the nearest electric bus or train. Volvo is going 100% electric or hybrid production starting later this year, 2019. France is banning production of any/all ICE cars by 2040. Check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...l-macron-volvo

G55K 04-21-2019 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by JetRanger (Post 7737312)
It’s easy to blame the diesel cheaters, for sure, do it myself in moments of frustration. But, sadly I think this excuse is at least somewhat superficial. The real answer is the tremendous influential power of the politics, especially when coupled with the marketplace free hand of competition, which are bound and determined to kill off ICE, be it gas or diesel. Our kids will see the day of no more ICE, and likely mandatory electric vehicles. Sadly, by 2040, I believe private car ownership will begin to decline, and we’ll start changing things up. As Elon sees the world, we will summon a remotely managed electric autopilot pod to take us to the nearest electric bus or train. Volvo is going 100% electric or hybrid production starting later this year, 2019. France is banning production of any/all ICE cars by 2040. Check this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...l-macron-volvo

That has nothing to do with Mercedes unwillingness to bring a diesel G to the U.S.

JetRanger 04-21-2019 02:06 AM

At this present moment in time, my guess is MBUSA just does not see a sufficiently strong market demand to justify importing an oil burner G into the US, especially given the G’s oh, so tiny market presence. However, my point is taking the long view of things, diesels will be goners in the US, with the large HD pickup truck segment (Powerstroke, Cummins and Duramax) being the last bastion of consumer diesel holdouts in the US marketplace. Sorry, but the longer term outlook for vehicles and light consumer trucks equipped with diesel motors in the US just ain’t good. I still hold out some hope for the G350d/G400d, as all of us are speculating, and only time will tell. We’ll have to see what unfolds.

fabbrisd1 04-22-2019 12:40 AM

Yeh... time will tell... Mercedes US has NEVER imported G-Diesel to US and NEVER will... but if you were SERIOUS rather than playing Air Guitar there is a Gray Market importer that can import out of Neatherlansa to US ... they pull drive train in the Netherlands .. export to US as uncompleted vehicle ... reassemble here in US and apply for new non-MB VIN...takes you about a additional $40K-$50K.. you can have it armored at the same time for about another $30K..