G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2019 ED1 seatbelt malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
2019 ED1 seatbelt malfunction

Hey guys, just thought I’d let you guys know. Since I picked up my vehicle, (approx 2 months ago) my seatbelt when inserted was not recognizing that it was buckled. It only worked 1/3 times and then tightened, and the display came off the dash. I brought the car in for service and apparently they put the wrong size seat belt and it’s loose. Just thought I’d put it out there if any of you guys are experiencing this issue, it’s important that it gets fixed because the airbag could deploy harsher if it detects the seatbelt isn’t attached. (Safety concern). Besides that, my brakes have been squeaking as if they were carbon ceramics, which they are not, and they performed a brake clean up. Not sure if that will help, just hope my disks aren’t ruined.

Cheers
Old 04-19-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
2019 G is scaring me....front glass, seatbelts, brakes, A/C whistling, side glass

Hope this gets fixed soon for you. Keep us posted!
Old 04-19-2019, 03:48 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Deutsch100
2019 G is scaring me....front glass, seatbelts, brakes, A/C whistling, side glass

Hope this gets fixed soon for you. Keep us posted!
my AC is whistling too, I failed to mention that to them, but no one has a fix it’s crazy. They told me to take my car back and drive it with the seatbelt defect until the seatbelt comes in stock. This after waiting 8 months to get my car. Told me it could take up to a month to receive it
The following 2 users liked this post by amg_ghost:
Deutsch100 (04-19-2019), johnnyderm (04-22-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 03:42 PM

AMG GTR
Update

mercedes will have to receive a module and install another seatbelt as it was too loose or long. They returned the car to me saying they did a brake cleaning, the brakes didn’t squeak for one day, and a day later well, it’s back to squeaking. Any suggestions on what I should do to get them to take this more seriously? I mean this stuff isn’t normal at this point.
The following users liked this post:
Deutsch100 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
It’s normal for high performance brakes to squeal, does it squeal while braking only or driving slow without using brakes? Seatbelt is a issue for sure tho...
Old 04-26-2019, 12:23 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Festertester
It’s normal for high performance brakes to squeal, does it squeal while braking only or driving slow without using brakes? Seatbelt is a issue for sure tho...
it only makes noise when applying the brakes at low speeds or when the vehicle gets to a low speed (with braking being active ) especially during traffic, it’s horrible. Happens when they are cold, hot, dry or wet
Old 04-26-2019, 12:45 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
Originally Posted by amg_ghost
it only makes noise when applying the brakes at low speeds or when the vehicle gets to a low speed (with braking being active ) especially during traffic, it’s horrible. Happens when they are cold, hot, dry or wet
yep I hear you. Porsche has same issue and they made short documentary on it that it’s totally normal with high performance brakes. They typically recommend you hit brakes hard a couple of times (of course in safe environment). My Range Rover also squealed and they changed the pads etc but it was happening at low speeds without using brakes, also my bmw had the same issue without using brakes at low speed tho.

btw, this could very well be an issue as not hearing from others so far. How many miles when you begin to hear it?

Last edited by Festertester; 04-26-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Festertester
yep I hear you. Porsche has same issue and they made short documentary on it that it’s totally normal with high performance brakes. They typically recommend you hit brakes hard a couple of times (of course in safe environment). My Range Rover also squealed and they changed the pads etc but it was happening at low speeds without using brakes, also my bmw had the same issue without using brakes at low speed tho.

btw, this could very well be an issue as not hearing from others so far. How many miles when you begin to hear it?
around 600 miles
Old 04-29-2019, 07:41 AM
haa

Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by amg_ghost
around 600 miles
Have had a few cars (Benz and Porsche) with brakes squeak and dealers always tell me it is normal. They would clean and spay the brake pads and the rotors and it helps most of the time. It is either some road debris that gets in between the brake pad and the rotor (usually that lasts less than 500 miles unless it really scrapes the rotor) or it is caused by manufacturing impurities in the brake pad itself and that will usually last until the brake pad is replaced. Never was able to get MB or Porsche to approve replacing pads and rotors for the squeaking but doesn't mean you can't try.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2019 AMG G63, Porsche GT4, 1973 Porsche 911 hotrod
I would "bed" the brakes. Has always worked on my cars that squeal. You can google ways to do this. Repeated forceful stops to get brakes hot will square off pads to rotors and transfer pad material to rotor. You just have to find a very low traffic spot that is safe to do this as it requires braking that you wouldn't want to do on a road with other cars around. This will get rid of the squeal for a while. Sometimes you have to repeat this procedure from time to time. Would often have to do this on my street cars that ran Pagid yellow race pads where the squeal is way more pronounced than any street pad.
The following 2 users liked this post by NOPDK:
amg_ghost (04-29-2019), johnnyderm (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by NOPDK
I would "bed" the brakes. Has always worked on my cars that squeal. You can google ways to do this. Repeated forceful stops to get brakes hot will square off pads to rotors and transfer pad material to rotor. You just have to find a very low traffic spot that is safe to do this as it requires braking that you wouldn't want to do on a road with other cars around. This will get rid of the squeal for a while. Sometimes you have to repeat this procedure from time to time. Would often have to do this on my street cars that ran Pagid yellow race pads where the squeal is way more pronounced than any street pad.
thank you, dealer said they needed to change the front pads. If it persists I’ll do this and try it this way thank you.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G Wagon
Get serious....G wagon may have the looks but at this price point all these defects are pathetic. Really unacceptable in today’s day and age. What happened to QC and QA by Germans or Austrians in this case.

Even the horrible sun visor.. WTF is up with that. I am seriously thinking of pulling out even if I get a 2020 MY.