MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   2019 G63 battery issues? (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/744135-2019-g63-battery-issues.html)

oliver_nyc 05-08-2019 09:09 PM

2019 G63 battery issues?

anyone else experiencing battery draining issues? ever since i got the car two months ago i get a message via the app starting that starter battery is critical after car has been sitting for a few days. its always started fine but maybe i'm just lucky enough to have gotten to car before the battery totally dies. dealer has checked batteries and said they seem fine. also no error codes in the car. its been with the dealer for three days now and apparently they are working with engineering in germany (which seems to take a while). no resolution yet... am i the only one with these issues? (note this is the second trip to the dealer within two months and less than 200 miles, the first was for a faulty differential sensor which got car stuck in low range mode.) since i haven't had a chance to really drive the car, hard to tell what else will pop up... getting a bit worried!

Deutsch100 05-08-2019 10:04 PM

Ughhhhh, so sorry! Long live the near flawless 2018 G-Class :) But seriously, I hope this gets resolved. BMW up until about 2012 or so.....if many models sat for more than a few days, The battery drain warning would come on. Have never had this issue with Mercedes or any other car besides BMW & Rolls-Royce!

Festertester 05-09-2019 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by oliver_nyc (Post 7751393)
anyone else experiencing battery draining issues? ever since i got the car two months ago i get a message via the app starting that starter battery is critical after car has been sitting for a few days. its always started fine but maybe i'm just lucky enough to have gotten to car before the battery totally dies. dealer has checked batteries and said they seem fine. also no error codes in the car. its been with the dealer for three days now and apparently they are working with engineering in germany (which seems to take a while). no resolution yet... am i the only one with these issues? (note this is the second trip to the dealer within two months and less than 200 miles, the first was for a faulty differential sensor which got car stuck in low range mode.) since i haven't had a chance to really drive the car, hard to tell what else will pop up... getting a bit worried!

Do you know what is the date of production for your g63? Did it sit on the port for a long time before delivery?

haa 05-09-2019 01:05 PM

200 Miles in 2-3 months??? That may explain the battery warning! Maybe you should drive it a bit more!

Subatomic Power 05-11-2019 01:50 AM

Mine sends me the same message, but when you check the app, the battery is fully charged. It is an app error. Send in a complaint to your service manager and they will have MB Engineering look at it.

places 05-11-2019 07:26 AM

I had no idea this feature existed. All this modern tech on a G Class seems contradictory.

Deutsch100 05-11-2019 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by places (Post 7753021)
I had no idea this feature existed. All this modern tech on a G Class seems contradictory.

100% agree! There are so, so many suvs around that can have this advanced, albeit useless or gimicky tech....THE G CLASS should not be one of them #getarangeroverorgls

Subatomic Power 05-11-2019 10:53 AM

Uh........hot stone massage on my ass after finishing a particularly hard tabata spin class on my way through a Starbuck's drive-through after I remote started the vehicle from my phone app?

This is extremely important and vital technology that covers the most basic of human needs when dealing with rough life automobiling circumstances.......

places 05-11-2019 11:03 AM

Tech can certainly assist in heightening the luxury experience but not when it's unreliable. Unfortunately we have become accustomed to having 100K plus vehicles in the shop because due to tech failures. Best chance for reliability is to buy the last year or two of a production cycle. Price has nothing to do with it anymore.

oliver_nyc 05-11-2019 11:35 AM

when i get the error message and look at the app, it does indeed say the battery is "critical". in any case, my dealer replaced the battery... lets see how it goes!

Gojirra77 01-24-2020 01:30 AM

I have the same issue on my g63

I have the same issue you have described in my 2019 g63. They have replaced the battery. Same problem still occurring. Dealer said they are not sure what is causing it. I think there maybe a glitch in the software as this also occurs in my e63 as well.

Subatomic Power 01-24-2020 01:37 AM

This issue was determined to be a software issue on my 2019 G63. An over the air software update managed to get it fixed. Also needs a transmission mapping software update for some bugs in transmission control unit, but apparently that update is due in the next few months. Some issues remain, like the car saying that its memory is full when trying to keep wirelessly connected to my iPhone 11. That is apparently also due to be fixed in a patch.

johnnyderm 01-24-2020 07:42 AM

Non expert fact here. Just my experience and some reading on the E class forum:

I thought I had posted this but, it is probably fine. Mine does this when I had it at a few custom shops getting work done. They leave it unlocked and drive it just a few feet inside the shop. This runs down the secondary battery I had thought? The one that is communicating to the app etc. Once you take it for a solid drive over a few miles, it should be back up and fine. I leave mine parked for 2 weeks at a time and no alerts. It only happens when it is on and off for short periods and the doors are unlocked. Is this a secondary battery (not the main?)

CDHG63 01-24-2020 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Subatomic Power (Post 7962009)
This issue was determined to be a software issue on my 2019 G63. An over the air software update managed to get it fixed. Also needs a transmission mapping software update for some bugs in transmission control unit, but apparently that update is due in the next few months. Some issues remain, like the car saying that its memory is full when trying to keep wirelessly connected to my iPhone 11. That is apparently also due to be fixed in a patch.

can you share the transmission mapping issue...mine shifts pretty slow and holds gears much too long....cheers

CUZCO 01-30-2020 02:06 PM

Took mine in this morning because of all the ME app warnings of a "critically low battery", service couldn't find anything wrong so now I am just going to ignore the warning messages instead of hooking up the battery charger.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b9cab55e7.jpeg

johnnyderm 01-30-2020 02:56 PM

Not unique to the G63. Other Benz have same thing happen.

Just like me, everyone who was having PPF or ceramic done to their car experienced the app warning. Not a big deal. Goes away with a long drive.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...y-problem.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...-critical.html

ioman 02-02-2020 01:24 AM

I'm having the same issue too. Seems to happen if I do not drive it for about 5 days. I plan on getting a batter tender to keep the charge going. Bummed.

CUZCO 02-02-2020 11:18 AM

I think this is a really good one that has the AGM+ charging setting. Cost was around $100.00.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...735b22a5d.jpeg

Gojirra77 02-19-2020 09:18 PM

I have this exact trickle charger but have been having an issue connecting to the battery. I tried using the posts for jump starting in the engine compartment but I can't get battery to charge this way. Can anyone explain where you are connecting your trickle chargers for the new 2019/20 g63? Does it need to be directly to the battery? Where is this located? Any tricks to making this easier? I know it is a dumb question but my dealer can't answer this question for me.

oliver_nyc 02-19-2020 09:25 PM

i’ve highlighted the critical battery issue to my dealer a few times and had the battery replaced twice. i still get the error on the app if i don’t drive for a week or two. i’ve never had any issues starting the car so i’ve largely been ignoring the warning. in terms of a trickle charger, i think you have to install it on the battery in the trunk. my dealer offered to install some wires that you can plug into your charger (i was going to install a solar one since i don’t have a power hook up nearby.) as i haven’t tried it, unclear of whether this actually works to top up the battery.

Subatomic Power 02-19-2020 10:34 PM

Not quite accurate information regarding the battery in the trunk on the G63. The battery is easily trickle charged from connection in the front hood. Information on this is in the manual.

Having said that, MB uploaded a software update to my vehicle, and the problem has been resolved ever since.

Subatomic Power 02-20-2020 12:20 AM

Easy as pie! Just slide the red square plastic positive terminal cover (along it's slide) off the positive terminal charging lead and connect the red charging lead to that. You have to ensure that the trickle charger is made for MB's, and especially for Lithium batteries. Not all chargers can handle Lithium batteries.

Next, find the negative (ground) terminal about midway along the left side of the open hood. It looks like a little cylindrical knob that projects from the left edge of the hood (just to the left of the engine), towards the engine. It is about an inch and a half long and the end is flared so as to facilitate connection of a negative charging terminal on your trickle charger. Look carefully and stick your head in there to find it with a small flashlight. Once you find it the first time, you will never miss it again. All AMG's have the same mechanism of trickle charging.

You manual details this all quite well if you want to see photos.

If you still have troubles, feel free to let me know and I can send you some detailed photos to make it easier for you.

Hope that helps.

Mopars 02-20-2020 09:46 AM

MB is using lithium batteries?

Peter Walker 03-02-2020 06:32 AM

A battery charger will not help, as I have found. I get the battery critical message after charging my El300 coupe for several hours with an Optimate charger. Seems I am not alone.

junc45 03-03-2020 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mopars (Post 7985951)
MB is using lithium batteries?

I just brought my 2019 G63 in for this starter battery critical issue. The vehicle has a AGM battery not a lithium one.

In my case the error was due to a broken wire in the right front passenger wiring harness. In addition to the starter battery error I was getting active distance assist inoperable , blind spot assistant inoperative and an airbag error. So even though the battery was charged the critical error message would pop up.