MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   Please help about 1800mile service (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/744666-please-help-about-1800mile-service.html)

carforhire 05-15-2019 11:18 AM

Please help about 1800mile service

Hello everyone, I found a CPO 2017 G63 with about 20,000 miles. The 1800 mile break in service was not done and they said they will do it now, the diff oil change. Is that alarming and worth walking away? I would want to hang on to this truck for more than 5 years and out of warranty. Thanks for all the help. I needed to hear back quickly because of a deposit and other potential buyer.

Sorry for the urgency haven’t had as much time to research because of timing.

horse86 05-15-2019 11:22 AM

I'd be a little worried (that's for any vehicle)....but never owned one of these. There's a reason to get that first oil out. Any swarf collected during the break-in needs to come out...but in this case has been swimming/rubbing around in that engine for 20k miles.

carforhire 05-15-2019 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7755983)
I'd be a little worried (that's for any vehicle)....but never owned one of these. There's a reason to get that first oil out. Any swarf collected during the break-in needs to come out...but in this case has been swimming/rubbing around in that engine for 20k miles.

Thanks for the reply, so it’s a diff oil change so not going through the engine fortunately. Mercedes said they recommended it but it’s not required so i know this has been a debate before. Inquired about a different 17 G63 and it also didn’t have it done.

Deutsch100 05-15-2019 06:21 PM

We have done it for EVERY G63 we have owned. A little sticker used to come on the window even. Mercedes says it is mandatory. Not for a single G63 have they said it is not required!

places 05-15-2019 08:22 PM

I would walk. If the owner neglected what was routine and recommended service what else did they neglect. The 1800 mile service is a couple hours in the shop, no big deal.These are expensive vehicles to repair if something goes wrong. Treat them well and they last a lifetime. Not for me.

fabbrisd1 05-16-2019 01:31 AM

Frankly - I would say about 90%+ of the AMG's where there is a recommended "break-in" rear differential service have actually had it - AND - sad to say "most" MB dealers will miss-that-it-is-missing when that rig goes in for normal A or B service.

You are to be complimented for "catching" it - but frankly the "discussion" is much more animated than reality of the situation - from what I have seen since the "norm" is for the AMG's where it's recommended - frankly "it just doesn't get done".. and I don't see blown rear dif's, really..

carforhire 05-17-2019 09:15 PM

Thank you everyone for the input. I decided to walk away from it. It's getting so hard to find a CPO exactly the way I want so I think I'm just going to have to be patient and look into putting an order in. Thanks for the help!