MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   G Class (W460, W461, W463) (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463-19/)
-   -   Thinking of purchasing a new G63. Need feedback... (https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460-w461-w463/747046-thinking-purchasing-new-g63-need-feedback.html)

toddturbos 06-09-2019 02:35 PM

Thinking of purchasing a new G63. Need feedback...

Once I heard the 2018 was the last year MB would produce the G63 on the old platform, I purchased a new 2018 in April of last year.

i did the same with my 1997 Porsche 993 Turbo. In Similarities, I was thinking the last year of the G63 would be not only billet proof, in-terms of reliability, but an iconic G wagon that would hold its value.

Yesterday, I looked at the new 2019 and have read all the reviews. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger and ordering a 2020. My only concern, and it’s a big one, is, the reliability isn’t yet known. A lot of manufacturers take one to two years of a complete redesign to work out all the bugs and the Guinea pigs are the initial owners who buy these new redesigns.

Having said that, any insight anyone would care to share about any reliability issues? I’m sold on all the changes MB completed, to me, they’ve hit a home run. So I’m not looking for any feedback on the functions and driving abilities, just solely interested in any issues, mechanical or Electrical.

i have read through most of the complaints on this forum, such as windshield, AC, aggressive lane assist and cabin air pressure. I’m not sure how many G63 are produced and if this is just a small percentage having these issues, or if it’s common.

Feedback would be Much appreciated.

Thought I’d post a picture of my 2018. I included a close up of the only aftermarket part I had installed, very high quality Brabus CF mirror covers. The CB weave matches the interior CF. Also included the CF OEM Trim I had the dealership install as part of the Negotiation.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...478592d2a.jpeg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...e1e24b4db.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...cc4ef3f2d.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...9ab0995c6.jpeg

Thanks

efathalla 06-09-2019 07:24 PM

You have a nice color combination with the Brabus add on!!
I would encourage you to drive one if you have the opportunity, it's day and night with the new engine drives like a real AMGt!!
I had the 19 G63 E1 loved it, a BEAST on the road, but I had to trade it for another S63 due to my daily commute, its not that comfort as a daily driver.

Personally, I would order the 20 and if you don't like it for any reason you still can keep yours and the dealer will sell it quick.

Enjoy your ride in good health..

mrtonyn 06-09-2019 08:34 PM

How many miles have you put on your 18 G63 ?
Has it been issues free?

toddturbos 06-09-2019 09:31 PM

I have 1,800 miles. Pulls to right and seems to lean to left, no other issues. I don’t take it off road, mostly local driving.

toddturbos 06-09-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by efathalla (Post 7774963)
You have a nice color combination with the Brabus add on!!
I would encourage you to drive one if you have the opportunity, it's day and night with the new engine drives like a real AMGt!!
I had the 19 G63 E1 loved it, a BEAST on the road, but I had to trade it for another S63 due to my daily commute, its not that comfort as a daily driver.

Personally, I would order the 20 and if you don't like it for any reason you still can keep yours and the dealer will sell it quick.

Enjoy your ride in good health..

Thanks for the feedback

efathalla 06-09-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by toddturbos (Post 7775039)
I have 1,800 miles. Pulls to right and seems to lean to left, no other issues. I don’t take it off road, mostly local driving.

Normal G behavior !!

mrtonyn 06-10-2019 12:40 AM

Toddturbos,

My 16 G63 had several minor issues that has been taking care of under warranty. Currently there is a slight rubbing sound (intermittently) from the steering wheel area. Only occurs at crawling speed such as when turning the steering all the way to right or left. The dealership replaced the steering shaft and lubed the area underneath the rubber boot already. The rubbing sounds used to be more consistent and louder before replacement.

Is yours Palladium Silver?

toddturbos 06-10-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by efathalla (Post 7775046)
Normal G behavior !!

I’m not sure I entirely agree. In frustration, because the dealership could not correct the problem, I drove one of their new 2018 G63 and was actually able to let go of the steering wheel and it drive straight as arrow on the same roads mine would not. Also had the opportunity to drive a 2017 G63 with miles on it, no pulling to the right or left on that one either.

toddturbos 06-10-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrtonyn (Post 7775136)
Toddturbos,

My 16 G63 had several minor issues that has been taking care of under warranty. Currently there is a slight rubbing sound (intermittently) from the steering wheel area. Only occurs at crawling speed such as when turning the steering all the way to right or left. The dealership replaced the steering shaft and lubed the area underneath the rubber boot already. The rubbing sounds used to be more consistent and louder before replacement.

Is yours Palladium Silver?

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Not Palladium Silver. I believe Palladium is the Matte paint, which I almost bought but my paint protection guy talked me out of it.

places 06-10-2019 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by toddturbos (Post 7775476)
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Not Palladium Silver. I believe Palladium is the Matte paint, which I almost bought but my paint protection guy talked me out of it.

I have non-matte Palladium Sliver on my 2018 63. Yours looks pretty close to it.

GTBNYC 06-10-2019 04:03 PM

I would wait for a 2020.

I have had zero issues with mine and only reason I am dumping it is because the Lamborghini Urus is better.

horse86 06-10-2019 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7775637)
I would wait for a 2020.

I have had zero issues with mine and only reason I am dumping it is because the Lamborghini Urus is better.

Debatable. At what?

1.5 - 2x better (price)? Nah. Especially not for all the plastic on the interior of the Urus. Certainly not at offroading. If you are comparing it to going around a track....thats not what the G63 is made for. And if so, you are looking at an SUV as a "track "car"...

mrtonyn 06-10-2019 07:48 PM

Same color as yours..

I love my Palladium Silver...hard to tell when it is dirty is a bonus.
I definitely like your CF all around and the side mirrors.
Where are you in northern CA ? maybe we will cross path one day.

toddturbos 06-11-2019 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7775637)
I would wait for a 2020.

Love that Lamborghini Urus, just out of my price range.

toddturbos 06-11-2019 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by mrtonyn (Post 7775817)
I love my Palladium Silver...hard to tell when it is dirty is a bonus.
I definitely like your CF all around and the side mirrors.
Where are you in northern CA ? maybe we will cross path one day.

The CF really helps set it apart from the other G, looks really cool too. I’m a big fan of CF. I’m in the East Bay, 15 minutes from Walnut Creek, you?

mrtonyn 06-11-2019 01:38 AM

I am in 20 mins from Dublin.
We ought to meet up sometimes. We are identical twins...minus a few details.

Are you planning to do more mods. minor or major on your wagon?
Curious to see your seat color options.
Mine is the pearl grey.

GTBNYC 06-11-2019 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7775641)
Debatable. At what?

1.5 - 2x better (price)? Nah. Especially not for all the plastic on the interior of the Urus. Certainly not at offroading. If you are comparing it to going around a track....thats not what the G63 is made for. And if so, you are looking at an SUV as a "track "car"...

At everything. Far faster, handles better, corners better, brakes better, is smoother, makes better noise, and is actually more comfortable too. They can not be compared in terms of driving dynamics. I really don't know how they perform off-road but I don't go off-road so it's not a big deal to me. Also, the G-Class has plastic bits..look at the plastic sun visor, the c-class style plastic window switches, that awful plastic area at the end of the center compartment, etc.

And yes, I agree with you that it's overpriced. Paying nearly $300k makes me cringe but paying $170k for a G63 was not logical either. The G also not 1.5-2x better than other top SUVs on the market. They are both overpriced.

horse86 06-11-2019 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7776338)
At everything. Far faster, handles better, corners better, brakes better, is smoother, makes better noise, and is actually more comfortable too. They can not be compared in terms of driving dynamics. I really don't know how they perform off-road but I don't go off-road so it's not a big deal to me. Also, the G-Class has plastic bits..look at the plastic sun visor, the C-Class style plastic window switches, etc.

And yes, I agree with you that it's overpriced. But the G-Class is also very overpriced for what you get.

Exactly, everything you mention in the first sentence is not what a G63 was made for and all those are done better with a car of the same price and many cars of lesser price. The one thing the G does incredibly well you don't do. Sound is debatable...I wouldn't say it sounds better than the G...and it certainly doesn't sound like a "lambo". If you want good noise get a V10...I hear mine scream and nothing compares. It seems you bought the wrong vehicle to begin with.

G-class has some plastic....to pay 200k+ for a lambo and have all that plastic is a travesty.

Apples and oranges

GTBNYC 06-11-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by toddturbos (Post 7776009)
Love that Lamborghini Urus, just out of my price range.

It is a complete waste of money and an irrational purchase but was hooked after driving one for a weekend.

G63 is great. I have enjoyed my time with it.

GTBNYC 06-11-2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by horse86 (Post 7776347)
Exactly, everything you mention in the first sentence is not what a G63 was made for and all those are done better with a car of the same price and many cars of lesser price. The one thing the G does incredibly well you don't do. Sound is debatable...I wouldn't say it sounds better than the G...and it certainly doesn't sound like a "lambo". If you want good noise get a V10...I hear mine scream and nothing compares. It seems you bought the wrong vehicle to begin with.

G-class has some plastic....to pay 200k+ for a lambo and have all that plastic is a travesty.

Apples and oranges

There are also vehicles on the market that do what the G63 does at a cheaper price. Did you really buy the G63 for value? Also, do you go off road?

horse86 06-11-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7776366)
There are also vehicles on the market that do what the G63 does at a cheaper price. Did you really buy the G63 for value? Also, do you go off road?

Seem to be missing the point. All the "qualities" you are looking for are track car qualities not SUV qualities.

Like what? A wrangler? That's like comparing a Dodge Challenger to a Ferrari.

Yes G63 will be the DD...it will be seeing snow, ice, and off roading during hunting seasons...buying it for what it is/does/made for.

toddturbos 06-11-2019 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7776359)
It is a complete waste of money and an irrational purchase but was hooked after driving one for a weekend.

G63 is great. I have enjoyed my time with it.

If I had that type of expendable income, I would absolutely go for the Lamborghini. I saw one while I was driving home from Incline Village, driving at me on a two way street. Looks very menacing and sounds are intoxicating (of course I had to roll down the window).

Wassaby 06-11-2019 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by GTBNYC (Post 7776366)

Yes, you can buy a Dacia Duster. :zoom:

sam9187 06-12-2019 03:56 PM

Or get a G63 from dealer in Nashville at $50K over MSRP

toddturbos 06-12-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by mrtonyn (Post 7776024)
I am in 20 mins from Dublin.
We ought to meet up sometimes. We are identical twins...minus a few details.

Are you planning to do more mods. minor or major on your wagon?
Curious to see your seat color options.
Mine is the pearl grey.

Now I’m Jealous, that is the exact sea color option I wanted. Couldn’t find one in the exterior color combo. I think that’s the best color combo seats on the G63. Was thinking about softening the ride (if I keep it), and going with Brabus adjustable suspension set up and adding Brabus exhaust.