G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Retrofit comand ntg 5s1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz G-class
Retrofit comand ntg 5s1

I got a G63 2013-model with comand online 4.5 and wants to install comand ntg 5s1.

Is this possible? What to I need to change except for the new unit?
Old 10-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking for an R129
No offense but I wouldn't upgrade Command under 'any' circumstance. Instead, I had a Sony AX1000 installed in my G500 (as well as in my wife's E320) because these units run Apple Car Play (as well as Android Auto if you swing that way). The advantage of the Sony head unit is huge because instead of the slow and clunky Command interface, I have Siri for dialing, searching, everything - just like with my phone. Everything is integrated with the steering wheel controls (but the model I selected retains a manual volume knob, which i really prefer to chiclet-size keys of other brands) and unlike Command, the navigation is always up to date instead of having to visit the dealer every year for a new DVD. Plus, because I can now use Waze I have a 'much' better GPS navigation experience. There really is a great deal to recommend the Sony versus the old fashioned Command. Trust me. Anyway, I purchased everything from Best Buy and let them install it and they did a very nice job of it. Last thing, don't let them up-sell you into a more expensive head unit because the volume knob goes away. Then you're left with an inferior interface (yes, I have steering wheel volume controls - but - when I quickly want to lower volume, I much prefer the knob). Anyway, it's a touch screen and works really, really nice.
--
My 2¢