G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2020 G 63 trip computer question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 08:50 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
2020 G 63 trip computer question

I have a 2020 G 63, and I have a question about the trip computer. I scoured the owner's manual, but I couldn't find the answer. I did read somewhere that the trip computer on AMG models may do things differently. Naturally, no details or examples.

Thank you in advance for your help

I have taken a few long trips (300 plus miles) recently, and I like to keep my eye on the fuel and the approximate range. I attached a picture of my dashboard display. If you look at the right side of the dashboard, you can see the a bar graph showing the approximate range. The other day, I saw a message pop up on the display telling me that I was getting low on fuel. The approximate range displayed showed something around 50 miles (as I recall). Okay. I got off the freeway, and I filled up the gas tank (it took 23 gallons). The trip computer showed I had traveled 321 miles and averaged about 14.2 MPG and the approximate range was 40 miles. When I do the math, it works out pretty close to the trip computer:
26.5 fuel tank capacity - 23 gallons = 3.5 gallons remaining in the tank @ an average of 14.2 MPG the range would be about 49 miles. This is close enough for government work

I'm getting closer to asking the question. I continued my trip. After a few hundred miles, I got another message on the dashboard telling me I was getting low on fuel. The approximate range displayed on the bar graph was around 50 miles and the Fuel Pump icon was YELLOW (normal). I kept driving. A short time later I looked at the trip computer, and the Gas Pump icon had changed to RED, and the numeric display showing the approximate remaining miles had disappeared. My question is, why did the remaining miles disappear? It's fine that the Fuel Pump icon turned RED to help catch your eye, but it would be useful if the trip computer continued to count down the approximate range. To me, the most important thing a trip computer can do is to keep me informed of the remaining range at all times. Especially when the fuel is getting low. Hopefully, someone will tell me that I have something set wrong, and there's an easy fix

Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Regarding the owner's manual, IMO it's entirely worthless.
When your gasoline pump icon changes color to red, I think this means you should have exited the interstate 50 miles ago. The fuel tank sensor and trip computer lack sufficient accuracy to indicate one-tenth gallon and 627 feet of range remaining, so it punts (BTW, you never want to run your tank dry). I haven't run my G's tank this close to empty, but when the gasoline pump icon appears on my Rubicon's dash (at about 3 gallons / 60 miles remaining), the nav system automatically displays a list of nearest fuel stations, the distance to each one and their locations.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:29 PM

2024 G 63
Hi. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that struggles with the owner's manual :-J

Originally Posted by streborx
Regarding the owner's manual, IMO it's entirely worthless.
When your gasoline pump icon changes color to red, I think this means you should have exited the interstate 50 miles ago. The fuel tank sensor and trip computer lack sufficient accuracy to indicate one-tenth gallon and 627 feet of range remaining, so it punts (BTW, you never want to run your tank dry). I haven't run my G's tank this close to empty, but when the gasoline pump icon appears on my Rubicon's dash (at about 3 gallons / 60 miles remaining), the nav system automatically displays a list of nearest fuel stations, the distance to each one and their locations.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:13 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
G63 AMG & G63 AMG Edition One.
I think it's simply due to the fact that the vehicle cannot calculate the precise range. Too many factors influence it and there are a lot of people that would be upset when it ran out of fuel before the counter said zero. It's been my experience that most vehicles do the same thing. I did see a Grand Cherokee once count me down to zero, but I still drove it to work and back a few times and it didn't run out. I also read once where vehicles bound for the US market are calibrated to leave more reserve in the tank as Americans don't adhere to the gauge as we should. Being a person who does not enjoy stopping for fuel, I run everything to the last drop and in my experience, German vehicles are the most accurate. I seem to run out of fuel in them the most. When your G says it's out, it's probably out.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Once it goes red (or no longer shows the mileage) it's telling you to get gas now. Range is no longer relevant. Not sure what level the tank needs to hit for this to be triggered. Personally I always refuel between a quarter and half, this way I never have to worry, 63's are very thirsty.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:59 PM

2024 G 63
I'm going to watch the bar graph display more closely. I want to double check, but I think the dashboard warning message saying you are getting low on fuel happens when there's about 4 gallons of fuel remaining. I get that warning message a little bit before the fuel pump icon on the bar graph turns RED. My best guess now is that I probably have a remaining range of approximately 40 to 50 miles before I'd run out of gas.

BTW, I've talked to more people at gas stations with the G 63 than any other car I've ever owned. It makes sense because I spend more time at gas stations now, and people like G wagons so they want to take a closer look and ask questions

Originally Posted by places
Once it goes red (or no longer shows the mileage) it's telling you to get gas now. Range is no longer relevant. Not sure what level the tank needs to hit for this to be triggered. Personally I always refuel between a quarter and half, this way I never have to worry, 63's are very thirsty.