G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Headlight swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG G63
Headlight swap

Hi everyone,

Looking for some tips on a headlight replacement. I have a 2016 G63 and recently replaced my headlights with an aftermarket pair that I purchased at Gwagenparts. I attempted to install this myself, and for the most part, the install went smoothly. The two existing wire harnesses connected to the new housing without any trouble. Having said that, the halo does not turn on, and the set of headlights I purchased also came with a standalone harness (pic below)? I have no idea where to connect this. If I had to guess, it would be to splice into the existing DRL connection to activate the halo around the lens.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:14 PM

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Multiple
Have you checked the other headlight? Sometimes, they plug into each other, with a controller/harness only on one side.

Headlights look good.
Old 12-31-2023, 11:20 PM

2016 AMG G63
Thank you for the quick response xxaarraa. I did not notice, but will take a second look. The supplier provided two of these boxes though, so I believe I need one for each light? who knows!

UPDATE: So I checked this morning and there does not appear to be a separate harness on the other headlight (or generally). I'm at a loss! I probably should have got these installed professionally instead of attempting myself.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Last edited by Judas Priest; 01-01-2024 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 10:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
02 ML320
When I replaced my headlights with same style on my 2011, there was only one main connector and nothing else was required. I also never got any additional harnesses/boxes.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:26 AM

2016 AMG G63
I wish that was the case for my set.

The housing I received was LED lights, and had the exact same two connection spots as the OEM housing. The main connection on the OEM housing had 6 pins though, and the housing I received from gwagenparts only had 4 pins. This may have something to do with it?

I have an appointment with a stud performance shop in 2 weeks. Unless I get advice beforehand from the supplier or anyone on this forum on how to fix this myself, I will post the results in this thread.

PS - for those that are attempting to replace the housing on a 2016 G63, the most difficult part is disconnecting the OEM wiring harness. I'm sure there is a trick to this, but it honestly took me over an hour wiggling, pinching, etc. to try and remove it.

Cheers guys.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:26 PM

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Multiple
Keep us posted @Judas Priest

Sort of related, if you find out how to adjust the headlight throw of the original headlights, let us know! After the lift install, my 2013 G63 headlights are now pointed too far down and I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the throw.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:08 PM

2016 AMG G63
Hey, wanted to close the loop on this one.

I brought the truck into a tuner shop in town to have a look at the lights, and they happened to have a tech that is a MB electrical wizard. I can't tell you exactly what he did (I know this is not helpful), but he opened the housing up and fully wired the DRL halos such that it mirrors the factory DRL settings. He did a remarkable job. No CELs, halo dims from low voltage in the dark, and switches to higher voltage and is ultra bright during the day. The halos also flash when you lock and unlock the car in the dark. high and low beams work as expected. Funny fact, he did not use the resistors that came with the headlight housing (the first pic in the post).

All this to say, if you're a newb and want a true plug and play housing, then I would not buy these lights. If, on the other hand, you know an electrical wizard and don't mind spending some extra cash to get them installed, then buy these lights - they are awesome. Ultra bright LEDs and look great on the truck.
I know another poster on this site mentioned you can buy a true plug and play off Alibaba - might be worth considering.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
xxaarraa (01-27-2024)