G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

How do I import a G from germany?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I import a G from germany?

does anybody know if there are any modifications that i need to do to the "G" when i bring it here? does it matter what year it is? thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:40 PM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
There's a lot of restrictions on european vehicles coming to the US. First, you would have to change the drivers side to be on the left, Next, get emissions done from the DOT. It would have to pass a local state inspection and a US inspection. Also the US DOT would want alot more conversions done to it before it ever hit the road. Theres alot more things you would need to find out from the DOT but its not worth it just by one from a MB dealer near you!!! It would save alot of money and agerrvasion.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Question

Where are you currently living?

If I read you correctly, you said you would like to import the car from Germany. As is the case in the US, Continental Europe drives on the right side of the road and the driver sits on the left so you will not be concerned with the issue mentioned in the previous post.

If you plan to buy new, you can buy it from a US dealer using the European Delivery program (it will have to be a G500 though). If you plan on buying used or another engine, you cannot qualify for European Delivery (ED). ED ensures that all administrative questions are taken care of without your intervention. The vehicle is conform to all US requirements.

Outside of the ED, you have a few options. There are some issues with bringing the car to US conformity, however, there are exceptions. One in your lifetime to be exact. For instance, you can purchase and import a car that is not street legal in the US (say a Porsche 959) and through that one time dispensation, have minimal hardship into getting the car registered in the US, but this is a one time only deal, mostly used for exotic or collection cars.

If you plan to import a G with a diesel engine, get ready for a lot of work. Your car will sit at the port for a while and it may not be cost effective.

In addition, you may want to wait as the G will be updated within the next couple of years (check the MB Spy web site). If you can't wait, the G is a fun ride for sure.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:40 PM

thank you very much for the info. i was planning to bring one form Germany to US, because i can not afford the new ones here, but it seams the diesel i wanted will be problematic. i need to do more research i guess. thank you once again.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile

Slavix,

It is still worth checking into it. I now of a few people in the Dallas metroplex who have taken advantage of the one time deal, some of the cars would never pass emissions. There are horror stories (Bill Gates' 959 was impounded at the port of entry in California for months), but there are success stories. If the G with a diesel is what you want, give it a try. It's a great car! If you like off-roading, or like to go hunting, you will be amazed. We never got stuck anywhere, and there was no place we could not follow a Land Rover. Comfort was not the best, but that was not what we were looking for.

It's fairly square/flat (check the Cd), so not very efficient in terms of mileage, but diesel engines will last you a long time and are not as thirsty as the gas ones.

Have you checked an ML270 CDI they sell in Europe?
Old 06-26-2002, 02:30 PM

no. i haven't tried the ML. a friend of mine has the G in europe and i LOVED it- as you said- it went anywhere we wanted it ( especialy in the mountains), so that is how i got interested in bringing one here. it is the DOT here though, that makes me nervous.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Exclamation

Slavix,

I will try to get more info for you.

One thought, if you import a diesel G and need repairs to the engine, electronics management or virtually anything in the engine bay, you will pay a premium to get the parts and the car will be immobilized for a while.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:49 AM

THANK YOU once again. i really appreciate your help. i just hope the car wouldn't have to stay 'impounded' for a long time.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:17 AM

2000 MAZDA PROTEGE
I'd collect several quotes; I'll find a few more options for you.

http://isringhausen.com/

-the Buk
Old 06-27-2002, 11:28 AM
Almost a Member!

Arrow

Slavix,

You may want to check the following address, it will give you import duties (2.5%), and other info / requirements...

http://www.customs.gov/imp-exp2/informal/car.htm

I had a co-worker who imported a Ferrari and I will ask him for additional info.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:38 AM

this web site is awesome. thanx. i didn't chatch your name, by the way-sorry. thank you again.

buk,
thank you for your response and site too.
any info on the matter is really appreciated.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Almost a Member!

OK,

It looks like you will have to go through certification and in that case, you should check the following document:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/.../Gray0206.html

I'll give you two examples of friends who have imported cars for different purposes.

First, the exemption:
I told you I had a coworker who imported a Ferrari under the ont time exemption rule. It works and the rules are on the DOT site (he says but I could not find them). The requirements are VERY stringent.

1) The car has to have historical value (collectible - SSKL, or a race car - Porsche 917). This criteria is subjected to the opinion of the government employee treating your case.

2) The car cannot be a model that is imported in the US (I don't know if motorization matters, so you might get by with a G if it is not a 500)

3) The type of registration obtained will limit you to x miles per year (can't use it every day unless you work next door)

n) + others

Second, bureaucracy galore.
Another acquaintance of mine has imported a Smart for everyday use.

For that, you should check the link I referenced higher in this post. It took him months and a lot of efforts. Once the car was registered, he still had to wait for EPA for a long while (at least, there was no crash worthiness test to pass, but the bumpers were tested...)

Check the links, hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile

My name is Chris,

The DOT link is abbreviated in the previous post, but it will launch properly if you click on it. For reference, it is:

"www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/Gray0206.html"
Old 06-27-2002, 02:26 PM

hi, chris.
i guess i have to read through those sites from top to bottom, before i even attemp to buy my G. you have been very helpful-thank you. if i ever manage to bring one in, i'l llet you know-then i might be able to help you with something in return.
i bet your friend loves the smart- they're lots of fun in the city too. i'm surprised we don't have half of the nice european cars here. and they are so economical-probably he fills the tank on his car once a month for 20$ max. and not to mention that you can park it vertualy anywhere-even facing the sidewalk... i don't think the G is THAT collectable to be exempt, so my guess is that i'll have to batle the bureaucracy... thax for everything and all the best.