G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2020 G550 Start/Stop issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 10:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW Z4 2020
Originally Posted by streborx
The ECO start/stop mode is active by default in "Comfort" mode each time you start the vehicle. ECO start/stop automatically shuts off the engine when you brake to a stop (with about a 1 second delay), and restarts the engine when you take your foot off the brake pedal. This "feature" is disabled when you put the "dynamic mode" into Sport or spec it as OFF in "Individual", or if you disable it using the switch (adjacent to the Ignition button) that has the "A" with the circumscribed circular arrow. When ECO start/stop is disabled, this "A" icon appears at the bottom of the instrument display in the black/white annunciation bar, nearby the "0 km/h" indication, but only after the vehicle comes to a full stop. Although starting and stopping the engine sounds simple, there are several sensors and conditions measured to make the event as seamless as possible. Despite this, I find it really annoying and permanently disabled it by disconnecting the current sensor on the battery. One of the conditions for ECO start/stop operation is that the battery not be in a heavy charge or discharge state, which prevents the possibility of not having enough charge to restart the engine. Disconnecting this current sensor makes the battery's condition indeterminate, so the system does not shut off the engine. Engine and environmental temperatures are also factored into when ECO start/stop is active or disabled, as is a hood (bonnet) open/close sensor. The engine is supposed to stop when you brake to a full stop and remain off while your foot remains on the brake, and it's supposed to restart when you depress the accelerator pedal. If you're a 2-footed driver -- gas with the right foot and brake with the left foot -- maybe the system's logic is being sent into never-never land when both pedals are simultaneously pressed.
Can we set the G to default settings ECO mode always ?
So, when you get into the car and start, it automatically starts with ECO mode and drives with it and automatically stops in a signal when I hit brake ? And automatically starts when I throttle ?
Possible ?
Old 02-02-2021, 11:20 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Originally Posted by soamz
So, when you get into the car and start, it automatically starts with ECO mode and drives with it and automatically stops in a signal when I hit brake ? And automatically starts when I throttle ?
Possible ?
It starts in “comfort” mode. With that being said, auto stop/start is active by default. So, as long as the conditions for the car are met, it will shut off at stops and turn back on when you accelerate.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Possible ?
The vehicle always defaults to "Comfort" mode when started, and the "ECO start/stop" function (that shuts off and restarts the engine) is active in "Comfort" and "ECO" modes (selected by the Dynamic selector switch on the center console). I originally thought "ECO" mode was unique in activating CAMTRONIC where cylinders 2, 3, 5, & 8 are deactivated within a certain engine RPM range, but I've read CAMTRONIC is also active in Comfort mode (perhaps others can comment on this). So maybe the only difference between Comfort mode and ECO mode is the goofy instrument panel display that you're supposed to watch instead of what's in front of you as you're driving down the highway. If you purchase an ODB-II dongle (search the forum for mention of this), you can get the vehicle to remember the Dynamic mode and bypass the Comfort mode default on startup.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW Z4 2020
Ok Im cool with comfort mode too.
As long auto start stop is enabled by default and works when I stop at the signal, Im fine.

I dont want to enable it every time I start the car.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
Ok Im cool with comfort mode too.
As long auto start stop is enabled by default and works when I stop at the signal, Im fine.

I dont want to enable it every time I start the car.
you wont have an issue with auto start stop if you like it turned on. it is enabled by default. which most people HATE. lol
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 PM

The vehicle always defaults to "Comfort" mode when started, and the "ECO start/stop" function (that shuts off and restarts the engine) is active in "Comfort" and "ECO" modes (selected by the Dynamic selector switch on the center console). I originally thought "ECO" mode was unique in activating CAMTRONIC where cylinders 2, 3, 5, & 8 are deactivated within a certain engine RPM range, but I've read CAMTRONIC is also active in Comfort mode (perhaps others can comment on this). So maybe the only difference between Comfort mode and ECO mode is the goofy instrument panel display that you're supposed to watch instead of what's in front of you as you're driving down the highway. If you purchase an ODB-II dongle (search the forum for mention of this), you can get the vehicle to remember the Dynamic mode and bypass the Comfort mode default on startup.

Can you steer a lost sheep (me) to this dongle you speak of?? I have searched a few different keywords and can’t find anything....?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Can you steer a lost sheep (me) to this dongle you speak of?? I have searched a few different keywords and can’t find anything....?
www.midcityengineering.com
Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 PM

ordered thanks
Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
ordered thanks
Others have bought a similar device from "Vladimir of Belarus" via ebay ($199 + $39 shiping) and report it works. Let us know your experience with mid city once you've installed it.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
Since the first car I ever bought with auto start/stop I have learned to disable as soon as I get in the car. I always had the fear that it would cut off at a stop light and not turn on. Further more I don't care for the "pause" at turn-on/start. It's really a safety issue, and unfortunately so many cars today are basically computers on wheels. Too complicated.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by places
Since the first car I ever bought with auto start/stop I have learned to disable as soon as I get in the car. I always had the fear that it would cut off at a stop light and not turn on. Further more I don't care for the "pause" at turn-on/start. It's really a safety issue, and unfortunately so many cars today are basically computers on wheels. Too complicated.
Most forum members are probably too young to know anything about the great OPEC oil embargo of the early 70's when the price of gasoline skyrocketed overnight from 22 cents/gallon to 50 cents/gallon. Back then, everyone in the U.S. drove big honkin' V-8s that going downhill with a tail wind could eek out 11 miles/gallon if they'd just had a tuneup. Many drivers tried to save gas by shutting off their engines at traffic lights, to discover that batteries and starters of the era weren't up to the task. Traffic jams ensued, tow trucks made lots of money, and many cities passed ordinances outlawing shutting off your engine while in a traffic lane (law enforcement has never been a concern for civic-minded politicians). 50 years later, even with advanced battery and starter technology, many professional mechanics opine that compromising battery and starter replacement cost for the sake of saving (maybe) a few dollars in fuel is a fool's gambit. Unfortunately, with the perverse testing protocols designed by the EPA, car manufacturers are able to score mileage points with ECO start/stop systems that default to active when the vehicle is started. Whenever some moron makes a left-hand last minute turn across the lane in front of me, I'm always anticipating his car to hesitate or stall.
E552006 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:19 PM

Installed my eco-stop/start memory function via mid city engineering.

Might be the best 150.00 I have spent. Takes all of about 10 seconds to install:

1) Turn ignition on
2) Plug in adaptor to OBD 2
3) Press the ignition button 2x
4) Once the light on the adaptor turns off, remove it from the OBD 2
5) Remove adapter
6) Done

The car will now remember the last eco start/stop setting.

I am not affiliated, just a happy customer.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/p...s-benz-ecopcm/
midcityeng (03-03-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550

Might be the best 150.00 I have spent. Takes all of about 10 seconds to install:

1) Turn ignition on
5) Remove adapter
6) Done

Great to hear it works! My understanding is that it pairs with just one vehicle, but can be used repeatedly to switch between original and memory modes(?).
Old 02-17-2021, 09:25 AM

Great to hear it works! My understanding is that it pairs with just one vehicle, but can be used repeatedly to switch between original and memory modes(?).
I don’t know about only pairing with one vehicle....it wasn’t VIN specific and I would imagine it would work on others. With that being said, the version I got only works for the 19-21 Gs

For the modes, with mine it is basically whatever mode you last had it in, it will stay in.

The description makes it sound like there are different settings, however, I called tech support and for the version I got, they said it just memorizes the last eco setting.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
I don’t know about only pairing with one vehicle....it wasn’t VIN specific and I would imagine it would work on others. With that being said, the version I got only works for the 19-21 Gs

For the modes, with mine it is basically whatever mode you last had it in, it will stay in.

The description makes it sound like there are different settings, however, I called tech support and for the version I got, they said it just memorizes the last eco setting.
Out of the box, it's universal, but reads and memorizes the VIN, and thereafter is paired exclusively with that vehicle. Does it remember both the drive mode you last used (Comfort, Sport, etc.), and also the engine start/stop mode? My G has no way to shut off the engine start/stop mode other than the Sport mode. The "A" button adjacent to the Start button has never worked to disable engine start/stop in Comfort mode, as the owners manual states.. With this anomaly I'm unsure if the Midcity device will work on my truck.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:05 PM

Out of the box, it's universal, but reads and memorizes the VIN, and thereafter is paired exclusively with that vehicle. Does it remember both the drive mode you last used (Comfort, Sport, etc.), and also the engine start/stop mode? My G has no way to shut off the engine start/stop mode other than the Sport mode. The "A" button adjacent to the Start button has never worked to disable engine start/stop in Comfort mode, as the owners manual states.. With this anomaly I'm unsure if the Midcity device will work on my truck.
On the version I got, it only remembers the last eco start/stop mode. However, I called mid city tech support, as the directions talked about taking some screws off under the glovebox and permanently connecting the adaptor....

I called mid-city, as it was my understanding that it was a simple OBD 2 plug in.

When I spoke to their tech support, they said the directions that I was referencing apply to a different adaptor that memorizes the last drive mode and allows the user to set the eco start/stop how they want. So those instructions did not apply to me.

With that being said, after he told me that, I didn’t then confirm that they sold that drive mode memory mod for the 2019-2021 G wagons....it is possible that it only applies to the older Gs or a different model all together.

But if you are looking for a that ability, it would definitely be worth a call, IMO.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
On the version I got, it only remembers the last eco start/stop mode. However, I called mid city tech support, as the directions talked about taking some screws off under the glovebox and permanently connecting the adaptor....

I called mid-city, as it was my understanding that it was a simple OBD 2 plug in.

When I spoke to their tech support, they said the directions that I was referencing apply to a different adaptor that memorizes the last drive mode and allows the user to set the eco start/stop how they want. So those instructions did not apply to me.

With that being said, after he told me that, I didn’t then confirm that they sold that drive mode memory mod for the 2019-2021 G wagons....it is possible that it only applies to the older Gs or a different model all together.

But if you are looking for a that ability, it would definitely be worth a call, IMO.
Thanks for posting your experiences on this. I will give Midcity a call and find out about drive mode retention.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550

1) Turn ignition on
5) Remove adapter
6) Done

Do you know how to unpair it with the vehicle so you can undo the change and use on another G? I have my G63 inbound and am installing this on my G550 for now.
Old 02-18-2021, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
G550

Thanks for sharing your experience. If you switch the drive program to eco or comfort, will the eco start/stop function remain off? My vehicle defaults to eco start/stop on, whenever the drive program is switched to either of those two. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by E552006
Do you know how to unpair it with the vehicle so you can undo the change and use on another G? I have my G63 inbound and am installing this on my G550 for now.
If you're trying to save $150, disconnect the battery sensor. The only disadvantage to this is it takes longer to re-enable start/stop each time you want to experience this annoying feature.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by famguy
Thanks for sharing your experience. If you switch the drive program to eco or comfort, will the eco start/stop function remain off? My vehicle defaults to eco start/stop on, whenever the drive program is switched to either of those two. Thanks.
Hmm, I will give it a try and let ya know.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by famguy
Yes it remains off regardless of what mode you switch into. If you want it turned on you physically have to click the eco start/stop switch.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:14 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

Old 03-11-2021, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 MB AMG G63
What is the process for returning it to the factory configuration of always on?
Old 03-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
G63, 911S, ModelX, Tacoma
Originally Posted by midcityeng
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

do you have anything that turns off lane keeping assist?
DaimlerGuy (03-14-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 G550 Start/Stop issue