G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Windshield phobia

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Windshield phobia

'19 G63 on my 3rd windshield. How does one do any interstate driving. My previous-gen G held up much better to rocks etc. Def ruins the driving experience knowing the slightest thing being thrown is going to crack the windshield. Is there any film for added protection?
The following users liked this post:
bearSF (03-09-2024)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by abhatti55
'19 G63 on my 3rd windshield. How does one do any interstate driving. My previous-gen G held up much better to rocks etc. Def ruins the driving experience knowing the slightest thing being thrown is going to crack the windshield. Is there any film for added protection?
Road debris, truckers and road-ragers are reason enough to avoid the interstates. I recall other forum posts about protective films -- opinions seem mixed.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:54 PM

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 G-63 Night Black Magno
I had a 2019 G-550 and broke 2 windshields . On the new 21 G-63, I had ExoShield installed. I haven't really been hit yet by anything so I can't tell you how it works but it is not noticeable and does not distort any views. Also comes with a 2 year $3,000 warranty against breakage.

abhatti55 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 G63
Originally Posted by TNMICH
I had a 2019 G-550 and broke 2 windshields . On the new 21 G-63, I had ExoShield installed. I haven't really been hit yet by anything so I can't tell you how it works but it is not noticeable and does not distort any views. Also comes with a 2 year $3,000 warranty against breakage.
the $3000 warranty don’t come with the ExoShield or installation. You have to purchase it with ExoShield. If you windshield broken and you didn’t purchase the $3000 warranty, then they will only cover the material not even the labor for the installation
Old 02-24-2021, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Just saw your other thread, sorry to read about what happened. With the crack in the corner I would drag my feet on getting the windshield replaced.

Concerning the exoshield, I read about the warranty on this forum and asked my installer about it before I took delivery. They told me it was $250 to sign up for $3,000 coverage, and that nobody had actually signed up for it before at their shop.

I had a rock hit the windshield at only 500 miles and it created a small chip. I wasn't sure if I needed to fill it in like a windshield chip, so I drove to the installer. They told me it's like a clear bra so the chip is on the exoshield and after it collects enough damage to replace it and the windshield underneath should be protected.

I still have massive windshield phobia as well, avoiding highways if possible and being around large trucks, but we will see how it goes.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 AM

Received 176 Likes on 128 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Just saw your other thread, sorry to read about what happened. With the crack in the corner I would drag my feet on getting the windshield replaced.

Concerning the exoshield, I read about the warranty on this forum and asked my installer about it before I took delivery. They told me it was $250 to sign up for $3,000 coverage, and that nobody had actually signed up for it before at their shop.

I had a rock hit the windshield at only 500 miles and it created a small chip. I wasn't sure if I needed to fill it in like a windshield chip, so I drove to the installer. They told me it's like a clear bra so the chip is on the exoshield and after it collects enough damage to replace it and the windshield underneath should be protected.

I still have massive windshield phobia as well, avoiding highways if possible and being around large trucks, but we will see how it goes.
similar on my G63 but I got clearplex and love it. I have 2 small cracks in film but saved my windshield... i’ll probably replace it in a year. it was an easy 3 hour install and 500 dollars. well worth it.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
Is there a good way to find clearplex installers? Want to start researching installers local to me, but haven’t found a good source (thought clearplex’s site might list installers, but it doesn’t)
Old 02-25-2021, 10:02 PM

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 G 63
That's how things like this work. If you don't have protective film installed your windshield will get hit by road crapola all the time. If you have protective film installed then nothing will hit your windshield for years, if ever :-J I think it's one of Murphy's Laws.

Seriously, I'm impressed at the clarity and no distortion of protective windshield film. I have ClearPlex on both of my cars. From most accounts it will protect your windshield from typical road debris. I was breaking two windshields a year until I installed ClearPlex on my cars a few years ago. Nothing has hit my windshields so far (Murphy's Law), but I'm confident the film will help in most instances (probably). LOL.

Originally Posted by TNMICH
Old 02-25-2021, 11:12 PM

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 G-63 Night Black Magno
I paid $650 for the ExoShield and that included the $3,000 warranty which was registered with ExoShield when I picked up the truck.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:43 AM

Received 176 Likes on 128 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by achatgrau
Is there a good way to find clearplex installers? Want to start researching installers local to me, but haven’t found a good source (thought clearplex’s site might list installers, but it doesn’t)
google it. should show up. i found installers that way.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:04 AM

Received 84 Likes on 53 Posts
Porsche gt3 trading to amg gtr
I keep one of this kits in the truck for when I’m out of town but mostly in town I drive far from other cars that could shoot a rock on my windshield. So far in one year and 15k Miles one crack that I manage to repot myself.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:41 AM

2024 G 63
Try contacting window tinting shops in your area with good reviews. I had my driver and passenger-side windows tinted (one click lighter than the rear-side windows looks good IMHO), and they also installed ClearPlex on the windshield. They did a nice job on my truck.

Originally Posted by achatgrau
achatgrau (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 02:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by sweet63
Try contacting window tinting shops in your area with good reviews. I had my driver and passenger-side windows tinted (one click lighter than the rear-side windows looks good IMHO), and they also installed ClearPlex on the windshield. They did a nice job on my truck.
Awesome, good advice — was searching for the product first trying to find a good installer. I'll try inverting the search to the good installers first. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:49 PM
haa

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by V8ray
I keep one of this kits in the truck for when I’m out of town but mostly in town I drive far from other cars that could shoot a rock on my windshield. So far in one year and 15k Miles one crack that I manage to repot myself.
i do the same, a little over 2 years and 35000 miles on my 2019 G63 and one crack so far that I was able to repair myself immediately before it spread.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Saw a news item yesterday -- a tire flew off a pickup truck, struck an oncoming car in its windshield and killed the woman driving. No further complaints from me about flying rocks and windshield cracks.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
My windshield just got hit, a few days short of the 1 year date of buying it, by my other car! My wife was driving the G550 behind me after picking up my new Porsche 718 Spyder and we took the back roads home to avoid rock chips on I-4 & I-95 since the car was going directly to the detailer for PPF/Ceramic coat. Anyway, my wife said she saw the rock flying toward her and there was not enough time to react. I submitted a claim last night and Safelite wanted to see if they can repair it next week when they come here; however, this is what it looks like this morning...replacement for sure now!

Old 07-14-2021, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My windshield just got hit, a few days short of the 1 year date of buying it, by my other car! My wife was driving the G550 behind me after picking up my new Porsche 718 Spyder and we took the back roads home to avoid rock chips on I-4 & I-95 since the car was going directly to the detailer for PPF/Ceramic coat. Anyway, my wife said she saw the rock flying toward her and there was not enough time to react. I submitted a claim last night and Safelite wanted to see if they can repair it next week when they come here; however, this is what it looks like this morning...replacement for sure now!
Bummer! Does Safelite now have the ability to fix line cracks? I thought all they could do was press epoxy sealant into starbursts. Anyway, I thought by Florida state law, windshield replacement is "free" (e.g., zero deductible).
Jeep is using a windshield product called "Gorilla Glass" in new production vehicles (also available for older Jeep MYs as an aftermarket replacement, but 2x - 3x as $$$ as ordinary glass) that's supposed to stand up to rock impacts better. (https://www.corning.com/gorillaglass...s_windows.html). Maybe as a forum group, we can book a volume order and get Corning to make a G-Wagon windshield.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I talked to Progressive Ins. and they updated the claim for a full replacement, which needs to be done at a Safelite shop since they said the rear camera needs to be recalibrated. I have an appointment tomorrow at 4pm and I am sticking around to be sure nothing else gets damaged. And no cost since I am in FL.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 07-14-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I talked to Progressive Ins. and they updated the claim for a full replacement, which needs to be done at a Safelite shop since they said the rear camera needs to be recalibrated. I have an appointment tomorrow at 4pm and I am sticking around to be sure nothing else gets damaged. And no cost since I am in FL.
I would just get your insurance to send you a check and then take it to a MB dealership to have it fixed...
Old 07-14-2021, 01:35 PM

2024 G 63
My windshield got hit with a rock (two rocks) a couple months ago. State Farm said to get an estimate from Mercedes dealer, and they would send me a check. The quote the dealer gave me to replace the windshield was around ($4,500), so State Farm sent me the full amount.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
I would just get your insurance to send you a check and then take it to a MB dealership to have it fixed...
Most insurance companies have hooked up with certain glass shops for windshield replacements, and have negotiated prices to channel their business. Even if Safelite has to get the OE windshield from MB, the installation has to be done there. Safelite does many more windshield replacements than MB dealers do, so they should be able to to the job if they have the right information. I think I'd try to get a copy of the MB service procedure from the dealer unless Safelite already has it. I'd call around to several Safelite shops and find one that has done G-Wagons before. It's worth a trip across town to get it done right.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by sweet63
My windshield got hit with a rock (two rocks) a couple months ago. State Farm said to get an estimate from Mercedes dealer, and they would send me a check. The quote the dealer gave me to replace the windshield was around ($4,500), so State Farm sent me the full amount.
As I commented in another thread on the windshield topic, much of the replacement cost is due to the ADAS re-calibration procedure that requires static and dynamic (test drive) adjustments. Insurance companies believe these driver assistance features decrease serious accidents and reduce their payouts, so they encourage and support the inclusion of ADAS in vehicles. I guess they can replace a couple hundred $4500 windshields for less than the cost of one death claim.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:01 PM

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by streborx
Most insurance companies have hooked up with certain glass shops for windshield replacements, and have negotiated prices to channel their business. Even if Safelite has to get the OE windshield from MB, the installation has to be done there. Safelite does many more windshield replacements than MB dealers do, so they should be able to to the job if they have the right information. I think I'd try to get a copy of the MB service procedure from the dealer unless Safelite already has it. I'd call around to several Safelite shops and find one that has done G-Wagons before. It's worth a trip across town to get it done right.
I disagree. Even if the glass repair shop is MB approved it doesn't mean they do the great work and they are not required to use OEM parts. I've heard stories from my dealer and have personally had nightmares with Safelite or other similar shops messing up the cameras with complex windshield replacements. Also, even though insurance companies have contracts in place with glass repair companies you can still opt to receive a check instead and then take it wherever you want....
Old 07-14-2021, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by tonygwagon
I disagree. Even if the glass repair shop is MB approved it doesn't mean they do the great work and they are not required to use OEM parts. I've heard stories from my dealer and have personally had nightmares with Safelite or other similar shops messing up the cameras with complex windshield replacements. Also, even though insurance companies have contracts in place with glass repair companies you can still opt to receive a check instead and then take it wherever you want....
I agree with your disagreement. I don't think there's any consensus (at least not within this forum) that dealer service departments are better than or worse than specialty shops / indy mechanics or vice versa. It always comes down to the people doing the work and the management they work for. Some are good and some aren't -- I've had good and bad experiences both ways. That's one takeaway I've yielded from this forum -- opinions and advice on what/who works and what doesn't. Glass shops will always use aftermarket products and dealers will always use genuine OE parts. With G windshields, think OE is the only option as quantities aren't attractive to aftermarket glass makers.
tonygwagon (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Safelite is doing it. I called the nearest dealer and they farm it out to the body shop so the odds are I will get just as good of service from the place that only does windshields. The Progressive Rep asked me if I have a heated windshield and I told her I did not think so but to make sure via the VIN#. Maybe there is only one kind?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield phobia