G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Selling my Porsche 997.2 GT3 for a G and need your help/advice/expertise please...>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
997s
Selling my Porsche 997.2 GT3 for a G and need your help/advice/expertise please...>

Hi all

Sorry for the long post and I want to thank everyone in advance for all your responses.
I am really seeking your advice and expertise.

I am selling my absolutely perfect 997.2 GT3. I am the only owner and bought it new back in 2010.
It is garaged all the time I never drive it and it only has 7800 miles on it. I am north of 50 and hard-core sports car isn’t really for me that’s the main reason for selling it. Providing accurate context it’s also financial. It’s a gem of a car and if it wasn’t for money I would keep it.

Providing again context so I can get accurate answers, pre-Covid I was making more than a plastic surgeon ha ha ,,,that has changed and now I am not. I am not eating mac & cheese but let’s just say the days of me buying Porsche‘s and IWC‘s and Panerai‘s and canali suits are unfortunately long over!

So it got me thinking what car could I get that ball park was equal value and iconic and sought after stature.

The only one I can think of is a G wagon.
There are a lot of car guys here who live in breathe cars every day so please tell me if my thinking is off.

I know a lot about Porsche but I know very little about the G wagon.
Clearly I know it is hard to get a G wagon and it’s incredibly off-road capable and built like a tank.

What I don’t know is future values and reliability and how it will age.

My GT3 has gone up in value and keeps appreciating every year. Will the g Wagon do this too? I keep cars a long time so in eight or 10 years if I want to get rid of the G will it be easy to do and it will it keep its value?

I guess the question to this group is the following.

I see I have 2 options.

1. Sell the gt3 outright and put the money in the bank. But what fun is that and life is too short

2. Sell the GT3 and take that money and buy a brand new G wagon. Yes I realize I will have to put in a little bit of money but I am fine with that

I own only one other car and it has a brand new Land Cruiser which I love.

Again sports cars it’s not a consideration so an SUV is and I’ve always wanted a G.

Again really asking about getting rid of a GT3 and buying a G wagon is that kind of parallel swap? Is it value for the same value?

And lastly yes I know it’s a lot of work I have to call a lot of dealerships but I am patient and I can wait nine months and do this next year to get a brand new G wagon.

Anyway thank you so much again for your answers I hope you guys realize what I am asking I think you get it.

Really appreciate all the insights from You g wagon connoisseurs. Thanks again!!!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
G63, Porsche 911, Yukon XL, Wrangler(s)
Originally Posted by ericmichael
Hi all

Sorry for the long post and I want to thank everyone in advance for all your responses.
I am really seeking your advice and expertise.

I am selling my absolutely perfect 997.2 GT3. I am the only owner and bought it new back in 2010.
It is garaged all the time I never drive it and it only has 7800 miles on it. I am north of 50 and hard-core sports car isn’t really for me that’s the main reason for selling it. Providing accurate context it’s also financial. It’s a gem of a car and if it wasn’t for money I would keep it.

Providing again context so I can get accurate answers, pre-Covid I was making more than a plastic surgeon ha ha ,,,that has changed and now I am not. I am not eating mac & cheese but let’s just say the days of me buying Porsche‘s and IWC‘s and Panerai‘s and canali suits are unfortunately long over!

So it got me thinking what car could I get that ball park was equal value and iconic and sought after stature.

The only one I can think of is a G wagon.
There are a lot of car guys here who live in breathe cars every day so please tell me if my thinking is off.

I know a lot about Porsche but I know very little about the G wagon.
Clearly I know it is hard to get a G wagon and it’s incredibly off-road capable and built like a tank.

What I don’t know is future values and reliability and how it will age.

My GT3 has gone up in value and keeps appreciating every year. Will the g Wagon do this too? I keep cars a long time so in eight or 10 years if I want to get rid of the G will it be easy to do and it will it keep its value?

I guess the question to this group is the following.

I see I have 2 options.

1. Sell the gt3 outright and put the money in the bank. But what fun is that and life is too short

2. Sell the GT3 and take that money and buy a brand new G wagon. Yes I realize I will have to put in a little bit of money but I am fine with that

I own only one other car and it has a brand new Land Cruiser which I love.

Again sports cars it’s not a consideration so an SUV is and I’ve always wanted a G.

Again really asking about getting rid of a GT3 and buying a G wagon is that kind of parallel swap? Is it value for the same value?

And lastly yes I know it’s a lot of work I have to call a lot of dealerships but I am patient and I can wait nine months and do this next year to get a brand new G wagon.

Anyway thank you so much again for your answers I hope you guys realize what I am asking I think you get it.

Really appreciate all the insights from You g wagon connoisseurs. Thanks again!!!

Very real issue!

Myself I’m a Porsche guy, currently with a 997 in the garage, and a 992 GT3 on order with a Aug 2021 build date secured.
I added a 2021 G63 to the fleet this spring, and have put ~1,000 miles on it to-date.

My humble thoughts on your “issue”;

1) The G63 is a blast to drive. Loud and nasty exhaust. Rugged. Mean street presence. Turns heads like no other vehicle I’ve ever owned, but it’s not a 911....
2) G63 will continue to have short term value preservation, and even some short term gain if you flip, but over time it will depreciate like any other used vehicle, albeit at a lower rate than most.
3) 997.2 GT3 will only continue to appreciate in my humble option. Last of the truly analog P cars.
997.2 GT3RS’s especially the 4.0L will continue to climb, and will keep pulling up the non-RS variants.
4) I love my G63, but if I had to pick between keeping a 997.2 GT3 in the stable or the G Wagon, it would be a very easy decision...bye bye G Wagon!!

Would love to see some pics/specs on your car

Maybe a trade.....?
Old 05-08-2021, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Appreciate Porsches but I’m not into 911s and all the confusing types but I do recognize that GT3s of any type are special.

The value in Gs are short term—trading them in after 1-2 years in the current market you will either lose no money or make some. However at some point this will change and the G will be like any other vehicle and depreciate immediately albeit at a much slower rate than typical vehicles.

This same phenomenon occurred when the current Range Rovers came out in 2013 where in the first couple of model years people could trade in a year later without losing any money, but that market faded by 2015 or so. I suspect the same thing may happen when the L460 comes out for a short period of time. Granted that vehicle is much easier to buy and mass produced on a larger scale, but you know what I mean.

In 10 years a 2021 G with low miles will have some residual value but in no instance can I think it would appreciate in value. The only exception may be a pristine 2019 edition 1.

Sounds like you are still doing pretty well! Life is short, if you’ve always wanted a G at least get on a list and think about it while you are in line. But that GT3 in 10 years will be worth more than a 2021 or 2022 G for sure.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:06 AM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
2021 Arabian Gray AMG G63: 2022 RAM TRX Lvl2
I don't thing Gs will ever hold as much value as a Porsche GT car, but I don't see them losing much value for the next 2+ years with all these CPU shortages, high Demand and such low supply.

I think the CPU shortage have prolonged the G63 Values. If there wasn't a CPU shortage then supply MIGHT keep it close with the demand, but now I don't think they'll have enough supply to fulfil all the demand for at least 2-3 years because everything has been pushed back 6-12 months.

If anything, buy a 2022 G63 if you can at a decent price, drive it for 2 years, sell it for the mount or maybe even more than you bought it for, sell it, then pick up a new 992 GT3, Win Win

Last edited by Azzurri; 05-08-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:15 AM

997s
Thanks for the insights, please keep them coming
BTW, to be clear, I am only looking to buy the Base G550, not the g63 AMG-I cant swing it.

So this is all based on the G550.

Please keep the comments coming.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:21 AM

Ahh ok, even so with the G550, they are holding strong too.

I honestly don't think you'd lose any money if you'd pick up the G550, but if you hold on to your cars for a long time like you GT3 then well, it ain't gonna be GT3 values after that long, LMAO. But that's if you're not holding it for the long term and selling it within 2-3 years I think you'd be in pretty good shape.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Toyota Landcruiser
If you don't drive the GT3, then there is no reason to keep it other than the potential financial gains. But like you said, life is short, is the extra value increase in the upcoming years worth you not driving a vehicle that you enjoy? I think you should buy the G550. Plus, as a LandCrusier owner who would like to own a G class myself someday, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions comparing the 2 vehicles.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:21 PM

997s
Filthy Toyota guy you are absolutely right and that is the brutal truth. All I am doing is watching it sit in my garage and appreciate and what’s the fun in that. My thought was to buy some thing that would hold it’s value almost as well I’ll be at not as well but still I wouldn’t lose my shirt and I would enjoy driving it. I really want a Jupiter red with red interior some thing absurd and dramatic and I would rotate it between my Land Cruiser every other day. And yes of course I would happily give you a review. I absolutely am in love with the Land Cruiser and cannot say enough good things about it. But back to the G wagon. I have to say it’s Incredibly difficult and challenging getting one at MSRP. Of course like everyone on the forum I’ve made lots of calls and emails and I have heard sure you can have one for 25 over or you can have one for 20 over you can have one for 30 over. I may just have to keep my Porsche in the garage if that’s the case. I really want to buy one at MSRP

I guess I may have to concentrate on putting together a deal since I have a GT3 and it’s so revered. Maybe I can have somebody on this forum by my GT3 and then hook me up with an allocation at MSRP. Not sure how that gets done but I will think about it over the coming weeks. I’m not in any big rush in any case. I appreciate all the thoughts so far and if you have any others please keep them coming. Thank you
Old 05-08-2021, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Hey nothing absurd with red on red. I've got a cardinal red with classic red interior, and I think my next will be jupiter red with the same interior.

Where are you located out of curiosity?
Old 05-08-2021, 06:25 PM

997s
I am in the Tampa bay Florida area. Thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 06:36 PM

I am in the Tampa bay Florida area. Thanks
I know Crown Mercedes is down there since they have one up here where I live and they told me they sell at MSRP when I was looking for a G63 last year.
And they did offer me one at MSRP back in November, but already had one built to my spec so I let it go.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
e92 ///M3
I would not sell a 997.2 GT3 for a g550
Old 05-09-2021, 01:27 PM

997s
Even if its Sitting in the garage collecting dirt? My idea was to trade for something that at least I’d be able to use a few days a week rather than driving it twice a year which is what I do now with the Porsche. That was my mindset thus asking for comments from the group.

I don’t know of any other car that I could get except for the G wagon that would retain its value. Meaning I would hate to sell my GT3 and then buy some thing and take a loss short term or long term. So if I am getting rid of the Porsche my thought was by some thing that at least holds it’s value and that I can enjoy killing two birds with one stone

I may do a separate post asking for someone to help me do this deal. Meaning someone would buy my GT3 and then connect me with the dealer to get my G wagon at Msrp

thanks.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
e92 ///M3
What makes you think you are going to drive the g more then the Porsche, since you already have a land cruiser?
Either way if you want to sell it I may be interested. Pm me the details
Old 05-11-2021, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Sell the P-car and get the G.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:16 AM

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
G63, G65
Even if its Sitting in the garage collecting dirt? My idea was to trade for something that at least I’d be able to use a few days a week rather than driving it twice a year which is what I do now with the Porsche. That was my mindset thus asking for comments from the group.

I don’t know of any other car that I could get except for the G wagon that would retain its value. Meaning I would hate to sell my GT3 and then buy some thing and take a loss short term or long term. So if I am getting rid of the Porsche my thought was by some thing that at least holds it’s value and that I can enjoy killing two birds with one stone

I may do a separate post asking for someone to help me do this deal. Meaning someone would buy my GT3 and then connect me with the dealer to get my G wagon at Msrp

thanks.
You are obviously weighing a few different factors here, but you have kind of already convinced yourself to sell the GT3. Ask yourself, will you miss it if you sell it? If not, time to move on. If, on the other hand, your concern is more about finances, then getting out of the GT3 and into the G550 isn't necessarily the best financial move. The G550, if bought at MSRP now, is immediately worth more than you paid for it. How long that will remain the case is unknown, but as others have said it will eventually depreciate. Your GT3 has probably leveled out, but honestly I haven't followed the 997 market as much as the 991, so you would need to look at that history a bit more to make that determination. I would think it has less depreciation potential than a G Wagon.

For what it's worth, stepping up to the G63 versus getting the G550 isn't that significant if you are buying at MSRP. The extra money spent will remain in the value delta between the two over time. If you want something rowdy and more fun than your LC, then get the G63. You will also notice that the G63 has a higher ADM on it than the G550. Most G550 ADMs are $15k-$20K, while G63 ADMs are $30K-$70K depending on the market. If you are buying either at MSRP then you get more value in the current market by going with the G63.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
PM sent
Old 01-11-2022, 08:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
G550/G63 G550 2014, G63 2016
Funny you should ask!!!!

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
PM sent
I just did this.

sold the 991 and purchased a 2014 G550

you are right my friend - if you are looking at a Porsche in the garage gathering dust vs getting an everyday driver that will literally go anywhere any time for any reason- life IS too short.

My 911 was the finest automobile I have ever owned and probably will ever own but l drove it too little and it just has a narrow bandwidth when it comes to utility-better to have owned and driven than never to have driven at all as Shakespeare said!!! The G550 is a beast - no less demanding of MX and regular service but I find it equally pleasurable to drive and use everyday. Good luck with your choice.