Phone mount

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG G63
Phone mount

Recently bought my first G wagon . A 2021 Amg G63

didnt like the phone mount options I saw on the forums, as one required you to stick a cheap mount to your dash, and the other was a vendor mount that blocks certain controls.

I decided to do the exact same thing I have used on many cars! A swan neck ( goose neck) mount . I then placed a MagSafe top on to it .

mike

No line of sight blocking

Passenger seat works as normal
Old 06-05-2021, 07:49 AM

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
G63, G65
Nice! Did you bolt it to the front passenger seat bracket bolt? Where did are you getting power from?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
2021 Night Black Magno G63
Best phone mount I've seen, looks amazing! I have the Weathertech cup phone holder and while it works great it's kind of annoying since I can never close that part that's all carbon fiber and I only have 1 cup holder now. Can you please include links to exactly what I need to order to do the exact same setup that you did? It's my favorite by far with no drawbacks.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:43 AM

AMG G63
Thanks guys

the part(s) are simple

1. the swan neck

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. the magsafe car charger (note there are a few out there... and probably all work fine).

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Comp...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

installation - is not PLUG and PLAY!

1. you have to heavily modify the base of the swan neck to mount onto the existing OEM passenger seat rail. the bracket for the swan neck is too WIDE to slip into the rail, so you have to dremmel cut the bracket to the right width. see my crude diagram.you are basically cutting the sides of the bracket so that the bracket is on as wide as the part that mounts to your car. again - you can NOT mount the oem bracket into the seat rail without this modification. i then painted the bracket black to cover up the cuts i made.

to mount to the car you need a STAR type socket. i didnt have, and although this was a one and done... i ended up purchasing the socket on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you simply loosen the OEM passenger seat bolt using this new star socket (dont have to remove!.. just loosen it) and slide you new swan phone mount bracket under the star bolt and retighten)

for the actual phone mount. I HATE the one that comes with the swan neck. you can slide it off... but you are now faced with you next project as the magsafe device will not simply mount to the swan neck holder!....

1. You have to dremmel to two plastic tabs on the OEM swan mount so that it is flat. and
2. on the Magsafe you have to remove the OEM mount bracket.

then i simply SUPER GLUED the bracket off the swan neck, to the back of the magsafe!

wiring is also simple. i just plugged the magsafe directly into the 12 volt cigarette power in the front cup holder. you just need a converter from the 12 volt to the USB power. if i were adventurous i would have taken the cable downward, under the carpet and run the line to the fuse box under the rear passenger seat.

so ultimately - you have a couple of projects to make this mount work... but i think its WAY WAY better that cup holder mounts, or mounts that attach to the window, or block the switches.

its clean, looks good, powers the phone, and relatively hidden cables.

hope that helps.

mike

Old 06-10-2021, 12:41 AM

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
I wonder how hard it would be to tap into the CarPlay usb…that would make more sense for me…
Old 06-10-2021, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Since the cable occupies the cup holder and renders it unusable, is there an advantage to this scheme over a cup holder mount?
Old 06-10-2021, 09:22 AM

AMG G63
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
I wonder how hard it would be to tap into the CarPlay usb…that would make more sense for me…
i pulled the cable out to show the location. it tucks away and you can still use the cup holder. you COULD run the cable the other way, along the center column to the armrest and plug into the apple play usb too
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:26 AM

AMG G63
Originally Posted by streborx
Since the cable occupies the cup holder and renders it unusable, is there an advantage to this scheme over a cup holder mount?
it doesnt render it unusable. i actually pulled it out for the photo to show where its plugged in. but i have it tucked under the lip. alternately someone can choose to run it either down the support arm and back to the fuse for the cigarette lighter ( under the carpet - to the rear passenger seat) or.. simply run the cable to the center console and plug into the apply play usb.

i have a cup holder device... and tried it. however the phone then blocks access and obscures the buttons. so by shifting it right you are nighter taking up a cup holder OR having to move the phone each time you want to change a temp configuration,
Old 06-10-2021, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
I just keep my phone in the console but wanted to say that’s an awesome mod.