G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Gas smell inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 09:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 BMW i8
Gas smell inside

Picked up a 2021 G550 with 1700 miles a couple weeks ago. When I bought it, there was a mild but annoying gasoline smell in the vehicle which I attributed to a gas can the dealership had in the trunk for some reason. However, it has persisted, and I even smell it on me after I drive the truck. With a relatively still new vehicle, I’d expect new car and leather smell still, but I only smell this.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 09-29-2021, 02:04 PM

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by ReturnoftheG
Picked up a 2021 G550 with 1700 miles a couple weeks ago. When I bought it, there was a mild but annoying gasoline smell in the vehicle which I attributed to a gas can the dealership had in the trunk for some reason. However, it has persisted, and I even smell it on me after I drive the truck. With a relatively still new vehicle, I’d expect new car and leather smell still, but I only smell this.

I have not experienced that. You sure the previous owner didn't spill some gas in the trunk? If so, you will never get that smell out!
Old 09-29-2021, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by ReturnoftheG

Sniff around the floor of the cargo area and determine if there are "hot spots", or better yet, yank out the cargo floor (pop the plastic caps off the 4 tie-downs, remove the 4 T-40 bolts and pry out the floor board) and take a drive to see if the smell is gone. If gasoline spilled and saturated the carpet and board, it will be a very long time before the smell dissipates. Take the floor back to the dealer and get the moron who put a gas can in a $150K truck to pay for a new one. I don't even carry gas cans inside my '95 Wrangler.