G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Should I wait until 2023?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 01:55 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Dang, these prices are crazy, I never get to attached to my vehicles, might have to sell my 21’ 550, only 9k miles on it.

You bought the X6M for the winter driving?

I have a X5M and a G550 and when the snow hits, I run to the G. I have found when you get into any amount of snow, the X5M’s low ground clearance plows the snow, where as the G drives over it…..and of course the 4wd setup on the G.

I guess it all depends how hairy it gets by you. (I am on the border of Canada and Montana).

In the same boat as you, 21 G550 with low miles. Im preordering the new 7 Seat Range Rover that I will lease through my company and probably flip the G for 50k+ profit while putting my name down for a new one whenever it comes be it a 23 G63 or 24 EQG.

I think the Range could handle any snow conditions you encounter, just don't upgrade to the 23" tires I guess?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
G63s and a few others
Originally Posted by Theatrix1
If you are driving the G for the thrill of it's performance, it would be difficult to go back to Range Rover. Having come from years of Range Rovers, I was so happy to get rid of that vehicle. For me, tech and handling are it's biggest disappointments.
But the tech in the new Range Rover will be leagues better than the current G-Class. I don't think it will be nearly as fun as the G63, but it will be significantly more luxurious and advanced.

They're both fantastic and you can like both at the same time. When I drive myself, I take the G. When I am driven, I always use the Range Rover.

Last edited by jamesszzz; 11-01-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:40 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by jamesszzz
But the tech in the new Range Rover will be leagues better than the current G-Class. I don't think it will be nearly as fun as the G63, but it will be significantly more luxurious and advanced.

They're both fantastic and you can like both at the same time. When I drive myself, I take the G. When I am driven, I always use the Range Rover.
Going back to BMW V8 should bring some enjoyment back. Suspension is heavily revised and maybe there is an SVR spec down the road with the M5 engine in it.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by jamesszzz

No one buys a G because of tech.
The following users liked this post:
cryptopreneur (11-03-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 12:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
F80,992,Disco4
Dropping my kids off at school today I counted 16 black range rovers in the less than 3 mile drive. As soon as deliveries start here in LA its going to be very much "a thing" if you have the new or old one and dealers will take advantage of it for 24 months. Its going to be nuts.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Buyers will lose except for one scenario where it appreciates more and then the buyer becomes a seller. For me, it is silly to think the price gouging is a good idea to give in to. What goes up must come down. Use your financial intelligence, be patient and wait for a reasonable deal.
GrnLantern (12-07-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
My DC based dealer ADM now at 125K for G63. Insanity.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:58 PM

G550
Originally Posted by SLC4S
Dropping my kids off at school today I counted 16 black range rovers in the less than 3 mile drive. As soon as deliveries start here in LA its going to be very much "a thing" if you have the new or old one and dealers will take advantage of it for 24 months. Its going to be nuts.

My LR dealer just told me has 90! Preorders for the new Range. Almost all autobiography or first editions. I’m on the list but I guess I may be keeping my G a little longer than expected lol
Old 11-01-2021, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by SLC4S
Dropping my kids off at school today I counted 16 black range rovers in the less than 3 mile drive.
How many were on flatbeds on the way back to the dealer? (Lol)
Old 11-03-2021, 07:04 PM

Volt
Originally Posted by Deezwho
My LR dealer just told me has 90! Preorders for the new Range. Almost all autobiography or first editions. I’m on the list but I guess I may be keeping my G a little longer than expected lol
I'm sure he'd like to have 90 pre-orders. You can tell he is lying because his lips are moving.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:34 PM

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder, 2021 G63
Coming from a Ranger Rover Sport SVR, I don't you can compare a RR to a G Wagon...

To be completely honest, I don't like the new RR design. I think the old ones look much better. The inside is the Velar + a few gimmicks in the rear. Unless you're in Dubai or London, who chauffeurs in a RR, lol?

Anyways, like someone mentioned before, although I don't think the new RR has better tech, no one buys a G Wagon for the tech. G Wagon is a statement. 2+ year waiting list to get an order in if you're lucky to get on the waitlist first. RR are mass produced and the new ones are not unique at all. Especially for the full size RR, they should've made it more unique. They took everything from the Velar and added it to the new RR. How is that unique? The back looks like a Kia. Just killed the statement it once was. Too much "tech" isn't good either. Tech get's obsolete fast. I can see those new screens in the front getting obsolete VERY fast.

As an ex-die hard fan of RR, I think they missed it this time.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:57 PM

G550
Originally Posted by cryptopreneur
Coming from a Ranger Rover Sport SVR, I don't you can compare a RR to a G Wagon...

To be completely honest, I don't like the new RR design. I think the old ones look much better. The inside is the Velar + a few gimmicks in the rear. Unless you're in Dubai or London, who chauffeurs in a RR, lol?

Anyways, like someone mentioned before, although I don't think the new RR has better tech, no one buys a G Wagon for the tech. G Wagon is a statement. 2+ year waiting list to get an order in if you're lucky to get on the waitlist first. RR are mass produced and the new ones are not unique at all. Especially for the full size RR, they should've made it more unique. They took everything from the Velar and added it to the new RR. How is that unique? The back looks like a Kia. Just killed the statement it once was. Too much "tech" isn't good either. Tech get's obsolete fast. I can see those new screens in the front getting obsolete VERY fast.

As an ex-die hard fan of RR, I think they missed it this time.

I agree I don’t think it’s apples to apples comparison at all but to me the 7 new seater is a compelling alternative to driving an Escalade or a GLS. Based on that comparison the Range would win in my mind. GLS steering feels like driving a video game simulator and the Escalade is like driving a boat.
I also dont have to worry about my kids kicking the back of my chair when I drop them off at school in a LWB Range vs the G. But for sure the G is on its own level when driving for fun.

It’s probably for the best that RR doesn’t try to compete directly with the G. They will never win that one.
cryptopreneur (11-03-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 11:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
G-Class
You can not compare RR with G, two different cars. Maybe the defender but than again it can never come close to G when it comes to the interior.

Had another dealer quote me 50K over for the new RR. Even tried out of state and no LR dealer is willing to sell out of state due to some sort of an agreement that all LR dealers have with LR (manufacturer). They can not sell outside of their market area. CA dealers are taking advantage of this agreement, knowing you can not by anywhere else.

I paid sticker for G63, no way I am paying over for a LR.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
For what it is worth, the person who said they were buying my 2020 G550, asked a million questions, and committed to buying it several times, changed his mind so it is still for sale at what I think is a great price: https://mbworld.org/forums/market/825685

And no further price reductions! It is paid for and I do not need the money, I detailed it last weekend and it will stay in the garage until it sells at that price.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
Originally Posted by BenzCali
You can not compare RR with G, two different cars. Maybe the defender but than again it can never come close to G when it comes to the interior.

Had another dealer quote me 50K over for the new RR. Even tried out of state and no LR dealer is willing to sell out of state due to some sort of an agreement that all LR dealers have with LR (manufacturer). They can not sell outside of their market area. CA dealers are taking advantage of this agreement, knowing you can not by anywhere else.

I paid sticker for G63, no way I am paying over for a LR.
Been that way for LR for years - my understanding is that the dealers get bonuses or some sort of financial incentive from LR for every customer they sell to within their geographic area. If they sell out of region they miss out.

The only time I've seen people work around it is if they have a local family member's address they can use, but even in that instance LR dealers don't like that arrangement because out of region buyers don't service vehicles there.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Jetta
I own a RR and have a G63 on order and would agree that the RR ATB or SVA is comparable. The off-road capabilities are comparable and the supreme comfort of the RR is second to none. The RR will sell like hotcakes and there will be big markups on them for sure. Once the order books open up I plan on ordering a 7 seat ATB fully specd with MSRP of $170k. You can’t beat that price point when you’re getting a solid V8, premium build quality and materials. I have 2 small kids and the rear entertainment and deployable side steps are also big pluses. The tech is also top notch.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 Aston Martin Vantage
I was told that my first week of December production G63 (literally 2 weeks from now) was cut by MB and pushed to 2023. Ordered 1.5 years ago. Has anyone heard the same? Any info would greatly be appreciated

Last edited by ssim; 11-18-2021 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by ssim
I was told that my first week of December production G63 (literally 2 weeks from now) was cut by MB and pushed to 2023. Ordered 1.5 years ago. Has anyone heard the same? Needless to say I'm VERY upset, and I think there's something else going on. Any info would greatly be appreciated
Was yours an MSRP deal? Did you ever receive a copy of the order sheet with a VIN?
Old 11-18-2021, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by streborx
Was yours an MSRP deal? Did you ever receive a copy of the order sheet with a VIN?
MSRP deal which is on paper, text, and email. No VIN as it wasn't produced yet. I have PO# through the NetStar screenshot.

The SA is super nice...I hope this really is coming from MB. I'm being told it's been pushed to July '22 production as a MY23.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 380 Posts
2023 G63
There are ways to find out if your dealer is playing games with you or not, especially since you have the PO number.

Regardless--what can you do? No reason to jeopardize your spot in line.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
There are ways to find out if your dealer is playing games with you or not, especially since you have the PO number.

Regardless--what can you do? No reason to jeopardize your spot in line.
I called MBUSA. I gave the very kinda rep the PO# and she told me a few things: 1) the spec of the vehicle had changed ; 2) it still indicates it’ll be produced in Dec and ; 3) that NetStar shows “client information removed from PO”…and that there’s a name (not mine) on the right side of NetStar.

I don’t know what to do. She offered to file a complaint, but I said I’d call the SA and his GM first.

If there’s any MB sales associates or managers on here that can definitively tell me from the PO# whether I’ve been screwed out of the allocation or not, I’d appreciate the help.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by ssim
I called MBUSA. I gave the very kinda rep the PO# and she told me a few things: 1) the spec of the vehicle had changed ; 2) it still indicates it’ll be produced in Dec and ; 3) that NetStar shows “client information removed from PO”…and that there’s a name (not mine) on the right side of NetStar.

I don’t know what to do. She offered to file a complaint, but I said I’d call the SA and his GM first.

If there’s any MB sales associates or managers on here that can definitively tell me from the PO# whether I’ve been screwed out of the allocation or not, I’d appreciate the help.
Something stinks here -- sounds like your allocation was re-allocated and will go out the door to somebody else at MSRP +$100K.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by streborx
Something stinks here -- sounds like your allocation was re-allocated and will go out the door to somebody else at MSRP +$100K.
I agree....but I'm honestly just not sure what to do. If I complain to corporate, they likely won't do anything, and I've burned the bridge. I want the car, but it's a messed up feeling getting so close to production (after luckily securing one of the last spots) just to get screwed over.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:09 PM

Volt
If you file a complaint there is a record of what happened.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hard top
If you file a complaint there is a record of what happened.
She said if I filed a complaint, they'd contact the GM, and that it'd be held against the dealership. When I asked her what that meant, she really couldn't say for sure, so I don't know if it's just a slap on the wrist...lost $ / allocations...etc. From my luck, I'll file a complaint and screw myself out of the hypothetical July 2022 build slot.

Even if I get an allocation for next July, it'll basically be another year before I see the car. Knowing Mercedes, they'll just skip MY23 entirely and go straight to EQG for MY24.

I do not know what to do. First world problem, sure, but when you've waited sooo long and get sooo close, it hurts.

Last edited by ssim; 11-18-2021 at 05:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I wait until 2023?