G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2023 G63 Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla
2023 G63 Transmission Issue

I purchased a 2023 G63 that was CPO with 1,200 miles. Since Novemebr I’ve put about 1,000 miles on it myself. I love the truck and drive it daily. About 3 weeks ago I started noticing that the transmission would behave oddly. It’s hard for me to describe. I’m not certain if it’s slipping, if it’s hesitating or what the proper term is.

When I’m slowing down sometimes it shifts harshly from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd. If it’s in 5th gear and I accelerate it downshifts abruptly into 4th. The same from 4th to 3rd when accelerating. Sometimes it’s super smooth the whole ride. I’ve tried comfort mode, sport or sport+. I feel that this happens in all of the settings. Could it be the fuel pump recall? I never verified that it was resolved but I assumed they had to fix it for CPO. The truck was delivered in July or August of 2023 so I assumed it was fixed during production.

I hate to be having this issue with a nearly brand new G63. Looking for some input as I feel the dealerships are just going to gaslight my concerns by saying it’s normal, or that they can’t replicate the issue. I can’t replicate the issue on demand so I’m not sure how to approach this. Feeling disappointed.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 G63 AMG - Matte Black
I had a similar issue with a rough downshift from 5th to 4th. I raised my concerns with the service rep twice. The first time they said they couldn't replicate the problem and the second time they performed an IPR test. The transmission failed what is called an IPR test. IPR stands for “Intelligent Predictive Repair” which is a detailed electronic test performed with a diagnostic device. The test communicates with the transmission and will determine if a repair needs to be done after extrapolating and analyzing the data.

In my case the IPR test came back with a result advising the technician to replace the transmission due to an internal fault. I have a 2021 G63.

They replaced the transmission (under warranty) but I'm still experiencing this jolty down shift from 5th to 4th gear. It's less frequent but still present. at the very least ask them to perform an IPR test. I hope this was helpful.

The following users liked this post:
beau315 (02-09-2024)